Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cooking beef brisket

Posted by grams33 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 15:20

Again I need help-I have a 4# beef brisket and I would like to cook it up and have Reuben sandwiches over Thanksgiving. Please I need any help you experts can give --new to me. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cooking beef brisket

Is it a corned beef? Or just un cured? I cook them differently...but then I don't make rubens out of un-cured beef.

o

Yes it is corn beef

o

I cook corned beef by submerging it in a mixture of water and dry ginger ale, about half and half. Throw in a few peppercorns. Simmer- not a rolling boil, that will toughen it- until cooked, I'd go for about 2 hours, then let it cool in the liquid. This will keep it moist. when cool, remove from the liquid and keep covered in the refrigerator.

o

I usually put a corned beef in the crockpot on low. Depending on how well done you like it, anywhere from 7 to 10 hours, but if you cook it too long it'll shred and not slice nicely.

The pressure cooker works well too, and I'm going to have to try Colleen's ginger ale, that sounds good.

Annie

o

I do what colleen does....but I don't use ginger ale.
I remove the meat from the package, save the spice package, rinse the meat and put it into a roaster or a dutch oven large enough to cover it with water. I add the spice packet and an onion quarters a couple of whole peeled cloves of garlic.
Bring to a simmer on the stove top....turn the heat down and keep at just the barest simmer for about an hour per pound of meat....
Or in the oven at a temp between 200 and 225 ( 212!).
Cool a 20 minutes in the broth, remove....and for really easy slicing, chill, then slice.

And that broth makes a really good base for pea soup....it's very salty so you will want to add some water.....but don't toss the broth!!

o

Pressure cooker gets it done in 1/3 the time.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here