Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Beef Gravy - no drippings?

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 14:39

Hi - doing a roast beef in the Set It and Forget It (LOL).

How can I make gravy with no dripping...I have mushrooms, beef broth...

Thanks - Maggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Beef Gravy - no drippings?

Maggie I often make a brown sauce/gravy without drippings by first making a roux of equal parts butter and flour. Cook it over medium heat until a nice light golden colour to cook off the floury taste. Then add some hot beef broth to the roux and bring up to a boil. Add more broth slowly until you get the consistency you want. Season with salt and pepper et voila!

If you want a mushroom sauce, saute the mushrooms in butter, add flour, make a roux, add the hot broth and there you have it!

I'm doing exactly that with pork tenderloin for dinner tonight.

o

Thanks, Chase! Perfect!

o

I often add a little beef stock base too, to "beef" up the flavor a bit...and some Chinese bead molasses for color.
What's a set it and forget it? And why no drippings?...The only spot I knop where they are no drippings is from the grill or the deep fryer.
Linda c

o

Maggie make sure the broth you add is hot so you don't get lumps.....

o

Linda - it is a rotisserie oven and self basting so you end up with very little dripping - almost none. It makes a wonderful roast. It's good old Ron Popei - lol.

I am going to make the gravy now and if I do end up with some drips I'll add it when I reheat. Is that okay? No problem to reheat?

What is beef stock base? I have bouillon...

o

Beef stock base is either a granule or paste stuff that comes in a jar....and to my taste is a lot better and less artificial tasting than boullion cubes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penzey's

o

Linda, your mention of beef stock base reminded me that my Mom used to use Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet, which came in a bottle, if I'm remembering correctly. I think it was used mostly to give the gravy a darker brown color, as well as to enhance the taste. But I've never used it. Do you recommend it? And do you (or anyone) know whether it's high in salt content?

Sue

o

Bisto gravy granules?
They do the job in a pinch....darken, thicken and add flavour to a stock or just plain water, turning it into a beef gravy.
But if you're already cooking the beef it's too late to go out and find a shop that sells it. Keep it in mind though for the next time you have no drippings.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Bisto Gravy

o

My mother used kitchen bouquet.....not a base as such...but more a darkener!...Restraunts and food services use beef or chicken ( or ham or carb or fish) base t o make soup....works well to make a gravy out of "nothing".
Linda c

o

A drop of Gravy Master will do the trick! It will do nothing to ruin your gravy....

o

What is Gravy Master Kathleen? I haven't seen it here.

o

Williams Sonoma has a wonderful demi glace, veal or beef, that is great for adding a little "boost" to your gravy. It's not cheap, but it's pretty good.

o

My mom always used it. It is made in CT so maybe it's not available there, Beverly. It says seasoning and browning sauce. A drop makes the gravy a lovely color. It is made from carmelized sugar, soy and corn protein, apple cider vinegar and onion, garlic celery and parsley. Now I just read that off the bottle. It really hasnt much taste, and like I said a drop or so is all you need. Maggie lives in NY, so she can get it. Someone else said Kitchen Bouquet, must be similar. Thanks for making me read the bottle, lol, I have been using it for years and never read it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here