Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making my first pumpkin roll

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 14:36

I finally got energetic. My DD always makes my late MIL's pumpkin cream roll. DH loves it. So I decided today I was going to make one. Cake is out of the oven and rolled in the towel, now cooling in the oven. Filling is next. And maybe some pumpkin cookies.

Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making my first pumpkin roll

The pumpkin roll is now chilling! DH will taste test later. Since I had pumpkin left over, I made these pumpkin cookies. They are supposed to be iced, but I won't. I really don't need the extra sugar, but the cookies would taste better with it.

Iced Pumpkin Cookies posted by NoDakgal
These are very good! If you make them the frosting makes JUST enough if you aren't too generous with it. I will make just a bit more next time. in 15 minutes mine were done and soft and chewy. ~ from Allrecipes
You can use 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of the asst spices listed.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.
To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

o

Here is a pic of the cookies. I got 44 out of the batch. For the pumpkin roll, I will dust with powdered sugar later.

o

My son has requested a pumpkin roll for Thanksgiving this year. I love them too, but hadn't made one in years til last Thanksgiving. Looks like it may become an every year requirement now. I have a recipe for Pumpkin cookies I was going to try, but may try yours instead. I don't know that I've ever had pumpkin cookies before, but they sure sound yummy.

o

Ngraham, the cookies are very good, but really do need the icing on them.

DH approved the pumpkin roll! It must be close enough to his mothers LOL! I'll be taking DD and a DN some later. It was much easier than I expected it to be.

o

Tami, hooray for your first pumpkin roll. It is surprisingly easy, isn't it? I'm always sure it's going to crack or stick or something, but it never does.

Yum, both those things look delicious.

Annie

o

Tami, I'm so glad your pumpkin roll turned out so good. I tried to make one many years ago. The cakey part wound up cracking and coming apart and I gave up. Maybe one of these years I'll try again.

o

Thanks for the feedback on the cookies, Tami! I'm glad your pumpkin roll turned out. It really is so easy, isn't it? I've never had one fail either, & really looks fancy.

o

We used to make a pumpkin roll....

...by kicking it down the hill!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

o

LOL Annie! I rolled my share around the yard, and maybe over the hill when it was time to get rid of it, so new ones might grow the next year. But I didn't kick it over, cause the fence was in the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here