Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poultry shears?

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 14:31

Does anyone have a recommendation for poultry shears? We splatchcocked our bird yesterday, and promise to do it every year, it was so good and easy and fast. But the old shears (at least 36 years old), like the Wusthoff ones first on the Amazon page, were just not making it. I also have smaller Joyce Chen scissors which I love, but they are small.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon poultry shears

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poultry shears?

I can tell you what NOT to buy. I have KitchenAid poultry shears and they didn't work well for the turkey that I decided to cut the backbone out of. They are fine for chickens and smaller items, but that turkey got the best of them and I ended up using a large chef's knife.

Annie

o

Make sure they have a cut out at the very back of the blade, just before the hinge, like the one linked.

That allows you to get ahold of a bone and crunch through it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Like this

o

In our research lab where we needed to cut through soft bone and tissue, we found that the most inexpensive utility sissors were the most useful. The one I found at Amazon has a tag at the end for support that might get in the way (or migt be useful) but you can choose others. They are short but powerful and though they don't have the gullet that John suggests, they will not slip because of the rough edge on the side of the blade.

You can cut through tin cans and other great stuff too.

Here is a link that might be useful: utility sissors

o

I used scissors that I bought at Home Depot (see link below), and they worked fine for me, but I used them on a chicken instead of a turkey. I think they are meant for gardening, but that doesn't mean you can't use them in the kitchen, which is what I bought them for. I did not buy a 3-pack - only the large pair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Husky T1 scissors

o

If you are doing the cutting, be sure that they fit your hand well. I have a rather costly one that I never use because it is too big when I open them. Then I found a Hoffritz shear that is perfect for me and lets me crack through bone very nicely. Just sayin'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here