SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

Calzones....freeze baked or not?

chase_gw
10 years ago

I have some pizza dough leftover from the weekend as well as some pepperoni, provolone cheese etc.

My though is to use it up making mini calzones for appys. Should I make them including baking them or make them and freeze uncooked to be baked when I want to serve them....

I leaning to freezing them without cooking

Comments (8)

• Lars
    10 years ago

I would partially bake them before freezing them - that's what I've done with pizza - but I have not tried freezing before baking. I would be afraid that the dough would not rise enough. I've never baked uncooked frozen dough, but it might work fine. You could always deep fry them and make panzerotti. I think deep frying works better on frozen foods than baking.

Lars

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooops..... I never thought of the rising part........for a calzone you are right they should have a fresh rise.

Still not keen on cooking, then freezing, so maybe I'll scrap the calzone idea and make mini pizzas....just half bake the dough circles, dress and finish when ready to serve ???

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Sharon, I make them and freeze them unbaked, then place them on the counter on a sheet pan to thaw and then rise. I make small ones, about the size of my hand, the girls used to take them to school for lunches.

They also freeze perfectly well baked, although I didn't reheat them, they went directly into lunch boxes and were eaten at room temperature.

I have found that I can only freeze my homemade bread dough unbaked for about 2 months, after that I don't get enough rise, the yeast starts to give up after that long in the freezer.

Annie

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

When I make pizza dough, I always freeze half of it. It always rises with no problem.

• ryaan
    10 years ago

I agree, partially baked then freeze it.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Like Annie mentioned, you are good with either choice. Last time we made empanadas, way more than necessary, (took all day), we froze some un-baked and others baked first.
    Baking first is an easier re-heat or grab-n-go for travel. I almost always half-bake like pies but something like homemade ravioli i freeze fresh made. With tamales, i take some out of the steamer early for freezing since they will be steamed again later after thawing.
    Same with pizza night. While at it, i make extra ones to freeze and don't take those all the way to crispy like we like them...they crisp up in the re-heating.

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I froze them uncooked. We'll see how it works. I freeze bread and pizza dough all the time with good results. My hesitation is the fact they are filled and how that will impact the rising process as they thaw.

In any case better than pitching out perfectly good food! At least for now ;)

• fairytale_cakes
    8 years ago

I know it has been a long time but how did it work? I am about to make dough and need to know asap. Thanks

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!