SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicavanderhoff_gw

Need advice from bakers

jessicavanderhoff
14 years ago

I have started baking bread, and I can turn out a decent result, but I don't think I'm kneading properly. The final product is not like a smooth even baguette-- it's kind of lumpy. (I have trouble shaping the dough into a smooth, even baguette shape before the final rise.) and it takes longer to rise than I think it should given temperature conditions.

I am wondering whether anyone has a tried and true technique for kneading without a mixer. I need something really dummy proof.

Do you make your dough a little wetter/ looser if you are kneading by hand? My dough is very, very hard to knead. I am using a takeoff of the Julia Child baguette recipe that others here use, but with 1/4 of the flour substituted for hi-maize, and a couple tablespoons of gluten added to compensate for the missing gluten from the hi-maize being added. I am not married to this recipe, though, if there is another that works better for hand kneading. (I am married to being able to substitute hi-maize for part of the flour, though. I am pro-fiber, but hold strong, deep-seated aversions to whole wheat flour). I have tried the recipe with and without hi-maize, and the texture seems very similar, so I think a regular recipe that works well for hand kneading would be a great start, even if it doesn't call for hi-maize. (Of course, advice from anyone who's used hi-maize is wonderful too).

I did find a suggestion online about kneading twice with a rest in between. The dough feels stretchier and is much easier to knead after the rest. Right now I am doing 8 minutes kneading, 8 minute rest, then 8 minutes kneading again. Does anyone have experience with different intervals, or with kneading again between the first and second rise?

I am bread challenged. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida