SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

What's For Dinner? #285

wizardnm
15 years ago

I haven't started one of these threads for a long time.

Working more sure does get in the way of cooking.

Sunday we had a pork shoulder roast with sweet potatoes, sauerkraut and apple sauce. Nice to have those homemade jars on the shelf. Last night I made Pork BBQ sandwiches with the left overs.

Last Saturday was a recipe from a relatively new casserole cookbook... Pasta with Chicken, Mushrooms and Asiago. It was good but nothing to get excited about. My DM will enjoy the leftovers that I froze. As I was eating it I thought, this is right up DM's alley, her kind of thing.

Nancy

Comments (51)

• amck2
    15 years ago

wizardnm, those meals look wonderful!

My dinner tonight is inspired by this forum. I'm making chicken stock in my pressure cooker as I type. I can't remember the name of the person who recently posted that she had great results in little time, but I am giving it a try.

With the stock, I plan to try the recipe LindaC posted on 5/12/08 for cream of chicken soup.

I'll serve a side salad and a slice of honey whole wheat bread, which is now going through its second rise, with the soup. My first bread attempt turned out brick-like, but with tips and encouragement from folks here(plus new properly sized bread pans...) I am getting much better results with yeast bread baking.

I'll take this as an opportunity to say "Thanks" to all you cooks and bakers out there for taking time to post to this forum!

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon, all your meals sound good. What I'd like the most is to be there, sitting outside and enjoying life. With so many nice places to dine I'm not sure I would ever cook!

Amck. you are no different than most of us, we come to get inspired, learn and enjoy our friends here.

I made an easy Taco Lasagna for dinner tonight. It satisfied a Mexican food craving. There is not one Mexican restaurant around here, the closest is about 45 min away and it's not so great.....I'd rather do it myself. Besides, I used Annie's Salsa, fresh cilantro, good ground beef...yup, it's better made at home.

I could have dressed it up for a pic but I was hungry and wanted to eat!

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Idyll #285 - Singing in the Rain

Q

Comments (106)
    Good morning all, Well there is a white coating of frost on the lawns on the hill across the street but it looks like most of the plants here escaped by a thread. I was so tired last night we ordered a small pizza for dinner. You know, I didnt even really like it and it used to be my favorite food and then I got heartburn when I went to bed. Well, I havent had a problem with heartburn for four years so now I really have no desire to eat any pizza again. Today is going to be another heavy cutting back and disassembling the pots day here. Doug was such a peach yesterday and helped me dump the old soil out of the pots then he washed them out and put them away in the shed. That saved me a ton of time. Im hoping I can lure him out to help me again today. Im in a quandary as to whether or not Im going to save my original Abutilon pictum Thompsonii. The trunk on it is about the size of my thumb and is going to be enormous next year if I keep it over. Will I or wont I? Do I need a variegated abutilon that size? Im having a real problem throwing away all those potential nice looking cuttings. Im telling you, Im hopeless. Today is going to be worse when I start really cutting back my large fuchsias. Sue, bummer about your cold. Ive used the Zicam rapidmelts the last couple years and Ive never been sick longer than a week. I hope you get better really soon. So now where the heck are you going to put another Japanese Maple? You are too funny. Advice please, Ive got that JM Viridis that I bought with you last spring. Well it was in that pot on the patio and I need to find a place to plant it in the ground. Where do you think that would look good and do well here? ~~ BTW I think that is absolutely terrific that Tom thinks its a shame that the patio garden disappears. I think he is enjoying the gardens more than he lets on. LOL ~~ So next year that banana will get to the top of the garage you think? Just in time for the Conservancy tour? Eden, just love the apple orchard pics from yesterday. So much fun with the littles. So maybe you can get someone to snap your pic with Bella sometime? ~~ Sorry about your foot. If that doesnt get better really soon you should have it looked at. My mother actually broke a bone in her foot once and didnt even remember how it happened. Just woke up with a sore foot one day. Hope it heals up soon. Norma, LOL about Bob admiring landscaping with large rocks in it. Our guys certainly are good sports arent they? ~~ RE beer, I only like it when the day is really hot and Ive been working outside in the heat and at the end of a day an iced cold, I mean frigid cold beer is the very best thing on the planet. ~~ RE the phormiums after hearing Bugs story I decided that it was a great phormium conspiracy. Ill bet we arent the only ones who were lured into buying phormiums yesterday. So Saucy, how long are you going to have to take care of the annoying, snoring dog? Brenda! 11Ws!!! Wow, I thought I had large feet. Im just a size 10 medium. Interesting factoid, my feet used to be a double wide but have gotten smaller since I lost weight. It is so nice to be able to fit into a medium width shoe now. ~~ Id love to come out and have a ride on your combine! Kathy, I googled the fuchsia gall mite!!!! OMG that is just terrible! Thank heavens we dont have that horrible thing here. They just ruin your plants. I did read about one person who was able to save her plants by spraying with SEvin on a four day schedule for three weeks. So once you eradicate the mites can you get new fuchsia and they will stay free of the pests? Id be devastated. So Marie, I laughed so hard when I read your post about buying the huge phormium! I have NO idea how to winter it over but we can share our experiences this cold season. What kind did you get? Ill have to get a pic of mine with the pink stripes. It really is a pretty plant and Im thinking Im going to put it on the landing on the stairs to the second floor. ~~ So what are you going to do with all that eggplant? Im still drooling over that grilled eggplant Mary fixed for us when we visited. Speaking of Mary, I sure hope she is doing well with her camp out! ~~ Just love all the photos of the farm especially the on of the sun streaming through the fog. Lovely! Wendy your brug photograph is beautiful! You are a tease though, we can only see small glimpses of your garden behind it. Id love to see more of your gardens. Is that a Ligularia Brit Marie Crawford I see peeking under the flower? ~~ The house was 61 degrees this AM here too. We still havent turned the heat on either. The longer we can put it off the better. Martie, how great to hear that Rich has gotten work locally! Poor guy with the dental work. I have such a phobia about dentists just hearing about three hours in a dentist chair gives me the heebie jeebies. So maybe you both can come up for our February party in 07? ~~ You rock lady! A Pendleton suit and sweater for $10.00! Woohoo! Hi Michelle, Im looking forward to seeing some fall pics of your gardens??? ~~ Did you finish painting the house yesterday? And last but not least for our northern Idyllers HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    ...See More

IS this a good sink? Kraus pax zero radius 28.5 inch

Q

Comments (18)
    Be careful about getting a sink with square drain. That drain is not standard. You can only use the provided Kraus drain with this sink. The Kraus drain is supposed to work with most garbage disposals but if you don't get a good fit between the Kraus drain and your garbage disposal, or you cannot use the Kraus drain for some other reason, you are screwed. A round drain is standard and gives you the option to use any drain or flange with the sink.
    ...See More

Has anyone used 2 Zline range 28.5" inserts side by side?

Q

Comments (3)
    Follow-up for those looking at two 30" side by side ranges: Pro Line Range stated that yes I can use two inserts which ironically they are all 28" not 30". Wish their inserts were at least 29" wide to have 58" over the cooktop. ProLine Range Store stated two inserts will work safely. Their website shows a 28" range insert that provides 900 CFM, which would work perfectly since 1800 CFM exceeds what I need. What sucks is that they are back-ordered for at least 3 months. I spoke with Appliance Leaders 2033 American Avenue, Hayward, CA 94545, US (510) 876-5626. Sean explained that Vent-a-Hood is the ideal but that is super pricey. Since we are becoming house poor, he said that two of the ZLine 28.5" inserts will work fine w/o voiding any warranty since I set-up the electrical for two units and I have two exhaust holes. At least I will get 57" using two ZLine inserts too. My research shows NO 60" ZLine range hoods or inserts exceed 1200CFM, which is actually quite stupid (IMO) & really poor marketing by Zline. The Zline has lifetime and 3yr on the motor itself which is very reasonable for the price point. More people are creating outdoor kitchens &/ or indoor luxury, Kosher, "chef" kitchens etc. I see more people are using 48" plus wide gas ranges or two 30" gas ranges side by side. These kitchens need over 1200 CFM especially for outdoor kitchens. Also a reminder: you really need a window near/ next to your gas ranges or cooktop to crack open when you use your gas cooktop for safety. The cracked window allows ventilation of fresh air into the kitchen and helps exhaust out the fumes, Carbon Monoxide, and smells through the hood exhaust from your gas cooktop.
    ...See More

Rug Size, room 15'3 x 28'5

Q

Comments (0)
    What size rug should I put in a long family room? ( 15ft 3in x 28ft 5in ) The ceilings are 8 feet tall. Thank you!
    ...See More
  • dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Nancy and Sharon, all of your meals look and sound wonderful.

We have had quite a bit of company and when everyone comes to our area, they want to sight see which we understand especially at this time of year. It has gotten cooler which I like, but I'm not a fan of real cold - it is coming. So we have eaten out at many places and I didn't take pictures.

On our own - I made spaghetti one night and today I made a big pot of beef vegetable soup that was for dinner and lunch for tomorrow and the rest will be frozen for future use. Grilled Gruyere Cheese Sandwiches to go along w/soup tonight.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

OOOH Nancy, I want some of your roast pork dinner.

Sharon, great looking bowl of chili.

I made something tonight that I haven't made in a couple of years. Chicken breasts stuffed with Mushroom Duxelles with a port sauce. Served with mashed potatoes, rutabaga and asparagus.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Everyones meals look great but thta roast of pork is really calling out to me. Might do a Herb Crusted Roast of Pork this Sunday.

Last night we had Sweet ans Sour Pork Tenderloin we had it not long ago but I had some fresh pineapple and green peppers that needed using.

Old pic.......

Tonight it's a frittata and salad.....eggs that need using.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Dinner last night was a Greek Penne Pasta Salad. Served warm, it was absolutely wonderful and I'll definitely make this one again. Had a few touches that put it over the top from a "regular" pasta salad.

I tried to take a pic with my phone, but it was too fuzzy! But I did "win" a "new" camera from ebay and it is on it's way! I couldn't bring myself to go out and buy a brand new camera after our other got stolen on vacation last month.

It's a rainy day here in Louisiana and I'll be making a white bean soup with some homemade bread or rolls for dinner.

Grace

• amck2
    15 years ago

Sharon, I missed your post when I was typing mine or I would have mentioned it. Everything looks scrumptuous! All these posts do.

I am not very good with DH's camera. I might have to hint for one of my own for Christmas - just so I can share pics here, too.

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Nancy, that pasta dish looks wonderfully delicious. Pork barbecue is one of my favorites. Taco lasagna sounds like something Howard would enjoy. Tell us how you make it, please.

Sharon, your dinners always look so appetizing. The vegetables you serve would even make a non-vegetable lover want to dig right in!

Dixie, that soup and grilled cheese sandwich looks yummy.

Ann, wow, that chicken breast is perfection!

Chase, the sweet and sour pork looks really good. I haven't made that in years. Maybe next time I have pork, I will fix it that way.

Grace, what were the ingredients to put your Greek salad over the top?

We have had a few half way decent dinners lately, now that I am feeling a little better. Mini stuffed cabbage rolls, mashed potatoes and carrots, I pulled some round steak out of the freezer; browned it, then simmered it in chicken broth and mushrooms, at the end I added a little cream; served it with potatoes, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Dessert was some chocolate/chili cupcakes pulled from the freezer, also and last night it was maple baked beans, mac/cheese, cole slaw and hot dogs were on tonight's menu. I didn't pay attention to the beans and they were a little drier than I like them. Dessert was Boston cream pie.

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marigene, here's my inspiration recipe and then I'll add my comments...

Taco Lasagna
    Submitted by: Crystal
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 143 members Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 45 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
    Yields: 12 servings

"A baked taco-style lasagna with layers of corn tortillas, salsa, seasoned ground beef and sour cream Topped with Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses."
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 pounds lean ground beef
    2 (1.25 ounce) packages taco
    seasoning mix
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 cup water
    18 (6 inch) corn tortillas 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa
    1 cup sliced green onion
    1 (16 ounce) container sour
    cream
    1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar
    cheese
    1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey
    Jack cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, then season with taco seasoning, garlic, cayenne pepper, chili powder and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
    2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    3. Place 6 tortillas into the prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the salsa on top of the tortillas. Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture evenly over the salsa. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the green onions. Drop 1/2 of the sour cream randomly over the green onions. Top with 1/2 cup Cheddar and 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Repeat layers. Top with 6 tortillas, spread with remaining salsa, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
    4. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until cheeses are melted.
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 11/11/2008

Comments: I used an 9" sq pan sprayed with cooking spray. I cut 2 flour tortillas in half for each layer (4 tortillas) fitting them on the bottom. My layers were re fried beans (1/2 can on each layer, 1C salsa on each layer, 1/2 of my taco meat (1 lb meat total), chopped grn onions, sprinkled with chopped fresh cilantro. For the cheese I used a pre shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend, about 1 C for each layer. Repeat, but on the top I added crushed corn chips before the cheese. The added crunch was good. I didn't use the sour cream in the casserole as I prefer it on the side, along with added salsa. Easy and quick.

Nancy

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Ann please, please share the recipe for the chicken dish. It looks and sounds heavenly!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Wow, great looking dinners everyone!

Marigene, I am NEEDING a piece of cake right now!

Nancy, I love pork and yours looks delcious, and always something good to do with the leftovers!

Ann, looks delcious!

Chase, love your reinvention!

Dixie, did you use a Panini for your sandwich? I f so which kind? I bought one and brought it back , the grills were not remvable and my friend advised to get removable ..so what do you think?

Canary, wonderful pics..from your little paradise...

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I think I've gained weight by looking at all of the delicious food on here this week!

I'm trying out a photo from my phone.... White Bean Soup and Pumpernickel bread tonight!

Marigene, the warm Greek "salad" had the tomatoes sauteed with rosemary and garlic. Orange zest was the thing that I never would have added and it gave it such a zing. I'll post the recipe if you're interested.
    [IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/gsimcoe/IMG_0190.jpg[/IMG]

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Well darn that didn't work.... back to the drawing board. TaDa!!!

{{!gwi}}

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Tonight was kid night..
    Beef Oven Nachos..they were in heaven and dying to eat early.
    I have a board meeting and the Daddy is playing basketball at work tonight.

Bag of Santitas, lb of grass feed ground beef, taco seasoning and lots of cheddar and mozz. I had mine with some fresh avocado, Annie's salsa and some sourcream..I think I covered the food pyramid. :o)

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Dixie, here is the recipe. This is a wonderful dish to serve for a dinner party. It can be made a head up to the point of roasting.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Chicken Breasts With Mushroon Duxelles
    ======================================
    Source: Lucy Waverman

This flavorful and elegant chicken is stuffed with a combination of fresh and dried mushrooms. Because the breasts are stuffed under the skin, the stuffing moistens the chicken meat and keeps it juicy. use either dried porcini or dried Chinese mushrooms; they have the most flavor. The sauce can be made ahead of time and the breasts stuffed a few hours before baking.

6 Dried mushrooms
    1/2 cup boiling chicken broth
    2 tablespoons butter
    4 shallots
    8 ounce fresh mushrooms finely chopped
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon or basil
    3 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    6 single boned chicken breasts, with skin on.

Sauce

1/2 cup chopped onions
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1/2 cup mushroom-soaking liquid
    3 cups chicken stock
    2 tablespoons port or Madeira
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cold water
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    . 1.
    Soak the mushrooms in boiling chicken broth for 20 minutes. Drain the
    mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid and the mushrooms
    separately.Chop the mushrooms.

Preheat the oven to 375°F

Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the
    shallots and dried and fresh mushrooms. Saute until all the liquid has
    evaporated, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Stir in the basil
    or tarragon, bread crumbs, cream and parsley. cook until the cream has
    reduced and the filling is thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the filling in six portions. with your fingertips, make a
    pocket between the skin and the flesh of each chicken breast. Stuff
    the filling under the skin of the chicken breasts. Season the breasts
    with salt and pepper and place in a buttered baking dish large enough
    to hold the breasts in one layer.

Bake for 30 or 40 minutes, basting occasionally, until the juices run
    clear.

To make the sauce, in a frying pan, combine the onions and wine. On
    high heat, bring to a boil and reduce until you have 1 tablespoon of
    liquid.

Pour in the mushroom liquid, reduce to 2 tablespoons and then add the
    chicken stock and continue to boil until the stock is reduced by half.
    Add the port and simmer for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce is
    smooth and strongly flavored.

Combine the cornstarch and cold water and stir into the sauce,
    simmering until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Season
    with salt and pepper and add any juices from the chicken. To serve,
    pour the sauce over the chicken breasts.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Kathleen, I used my Griddler by Cuisinart to make the sandwiches which have removeable pans (both grills and flat grills). I really like the Griddler. I've made some excellent grilled veges., sandwiches, etc. on them when weather is not cooperating for me to cook on the grill outside. Easy to clean and put away. I got a great deal on it at Costco.

THANK YOU so much Ann for the chicken recipe. I can't wait to try that out. It looks so good!

gb, great photo. Your soup and bread look delicious. I love the color of your tile. It looks very Tuscany which I love.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Marigene, Boston Cream Pie is one of my favourite cakes.

Great looking soup and bread Grace.

We had Southern Fried Chicken for dinner tonight. Phoned Moe before I left work and had him turn the oven on. Put some green beans on to simmer with bacon and baked buttermilk biscuits while the chicken was frying.

• bri29
    15 years ago

While I've been cooking more lately, the dinners just haven't been that photogenic. Night before last I made lasagna that was too warm and "un-set" when I wanted to eat to take a good picture. Last night I got a migraine so my dh was on his own (he had pizza, go figure). Tonight I spent a good chunk of my evening in the kitchen trying dishes from Ina Garten's new cookbook. We had potato leek soup, palmiers with goat cheese, sundried tomato, pesto and toasted pinenuts and an apple tart. The hit of the evening was the apple tart, even though my old junky pan tweaked halfway through baking and dumped sugar and butter off the dough and onto the pan, where it baked itself past caramel and straight into charcoal. It's still soaking 4 hours later... Oh well.

I really liked the soup (maybe a little too much arugula, but that's my fault). DH had three mouth fulls and tried to look busy so I wouldn't notice he wasn't eating it. I guess I've hit my limit for getting him to eat his veggies! The boy needs SOME protein!

Maybe again not the most photogenic dinner, but I couldn't post without a picture! Just don't compare my pictures with any of the ones above, they won't fare well! :) Well done everyone, lovely dinners as usual!

Bri

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

All this delicious food is making me hungry as I haven't had supper yet.

I will have to try Ann's chicken breasts with mushroom duxelles one day as it looks wonderful and I can imagine how good it must be.

Marigene ....round steak, cabbage rolls and mashed potatoes & gravy YUM!

Grace I bet the bean soup was satisfying. I also made soup over yesterday and today.

Bri....I love potato leek soup....and apple tart as well.

When in one of the downtown supermarkets I couldn't resist buying a huge tray of chicken carcasses that weighed nearly three pounds for only 1.87 Euros (US$2.35)....because it made me think of a big pot of chicken broth and then chicken noodle soup.

So yesterday I made the broth by first roasting the chicken for an hour with a head of garlic and thyme in my little counter oven. Then divided it up into two pots and simmered it with carrot, onion, celery and peppercorns for a couple of hours, let it cool and then put it in the fridge overnight. This morning I skimmed off the fat and separated the broth from the solids, put part of it into freezer containers and made the rest into chicken noodle soup.

Made a little one-potato & onion tortilla just in case we were still hungry. That was dinner for today.

Outdoors we have had sun and warm wind.
    Tigger sits beside one of our agaves attenuatas which is putting out a long inflorescence before it dies down.

Looks like tomorrow is Friday again. Have a good weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Ann, I think you can be an honorary Southerner with that wonderful looking fried chicken dinner!
    Bri, it sounds like you made a gourmet meal! Tell me about the palmiers.... I've never made those.
    Sharon, your broth looks so deliciously rich in the soup... any secrets?

Tonight was egg salad sandwiches on my homemade pumpernickel. I'd never done the two together and it was a good way to jazz up egg salad. Honeycrisp apples and a clementine each made it a filling but still light meal.

Dessert was a fig "tart" made with frozen figs from our tree, baked on a granola based crust and topped with a maple carmel syrup. I made up the recipe, and my husband is still raving about it, so I'll have to try and recreate it again and take notes.

• bri29
    15 years ago

The palmiers were quick and easy to put together, but I'm still trying to figure out how to have a better filling/dough ratio. The flavor of the filling was really good, but there just seemed to be too much pastry. Maybe it's just me, but I think I'll try them next time with a bit more filling. Heck, I think I'd be happy putting those toppings on bruschetta, who needs puff pastry!?

Directions:
    Unfold and roll out a sheet of puff pastry slightly to smooth the creases. On this, spread 1/8c pesto, 1/8c crumbled goat cheese, 1/8c finely chopped sundried tomatoes, and 1/8c toasted pine nuts over the whole thing (I lent the cookbook to a coworker today, so I'm relying on memory for the amounts, sorry).
    Then starting at the short ends, fold each side to the middle, repeat and fold one half over on the other. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes then cut into 1/4" slices. Arrange the slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for 14 minutes.

Please don't let my wackiness deter you from trying them. The combination of flavors really is lovely and the hands on time is mere moments.
    Bri

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Everything looks so good, but I'm expecially liking that rosebud printed bowl of Sharon's...

kathleen's gonna be envious!

Annie

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

You are so right, Annie! I asked Sharon awhile ago the pattern name, I love it! She knows I covet them, but she lives too far away so I can't stalk her and beg for them!

Ann, now that's a comfort meal. Crispy fried chicken, taters and gravy and biscuits...excellent!

Bri, that tart looks delicious! And the palmiers sound tasty!

Thanks Dixie, I think I will go with that Griddler. Maybe Santa will be reading this...:)

Gbsim, your pumpernickel bread looks great!

I had a small filet mignon to cook, with sauteed onions, oven fries and butternut slices sprinkled with brown sugar..

I made some indiv mac and cheese for lunch..

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Kathleen, great dishes. Love the red and white border. Would make the perfect "diner" plate.

Got a late start so didn't make all that I had intended to. So plated dinner looks a little colourless. But it tasted good. Breaded pork chops, fried potatoes and squash. I cooked the pork chops and the potatoes in the electric skillet. Used the same breading I use on chicken fingers.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Well, I wouldn't turn it down, looks good to me Ann.
    I have never had nice plates in a diner...just thick and white. But I haven't been to one in years, maybe they have upgraded...:)

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Bri those palmiers sound easy and delicious....I think I'll try them soon as I make pesto often and we live on an island known for its goats' cheese.

Kathleen...lovely fall table and your mac and cheese makes me hungry!

Ann....great looking dinner. That squash looks really yummy!

Well we've almost had our fill of chicken noodle soup! Still a bit more to finish up this evening. Yesterday we had roast pork loin from the neighbourhood deli. A little place where a Spanish man and his wife work 7 days a week producing some wonderful homecooked dishes, flavourful roast chicken and pork with gravy. It smelled so good I didn't have time for photos. Wolf set the table outside on the patio and we dug in! Made steamed broad beans, carrots and potatoes to go with it.

Today we had a recycle dump to do with the car so continued on to the restaurant near the Botanical Garden for lunch.
    Wolf had their jellied pork (suelze) with panfried potatoes (bratkartoffeln) and I had a breaded chicken breast with Canary salted wrinkled potatoes and red mojo sauce. The cooking there is good and is very inexpensive as well. Their salads are always fresh and crisp.

Weather is warm and sunny. The ground must be cool at night now because

where he gets the first rays of the morning sun.

Suelze with tartar sauce, salad and bratkartoffeln

Canary salted potatoes with spicy red mojo sauce

Breaded chicken breast with potatoes & mojo

Happy weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• diinohio
    15 years ago

So many wonderful dinners here... wizard your pork shoulder looked so good that I made it Wednesday, even made the same side dishes! Pure comfort food to me. Pork shoulder is on sale here this week so I have a couple for the freezer.)

Ann and Sharon beautiful as always.

Marigene, that Boston cream pie looks so much better than mine, can you share a recipe?

A few things I've made this week...

Pepper Steak

pizza

Cinnamon rolls

Di

• ann_t
    15 years ago

OOH Di, the pepper steak does look good, but it is the pizza and the cinnamon rolls I'm drooling over.

Not sure what recipe Marigene uses, but if you like Boston Cream Pie you might want to try this recipe. I've been making this one for well over 25 years. A family favourite.

Even better when made a day in advance or the night before so that the custard filling has a change to meld with the cake.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Boston Cream Pie
    ================

1/3 Cup butter
    1 Cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 1/2 Cup sifted all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 teaspoous baking powder
    1/4 Teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffly. Add the egg and
    beat until creamy.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add alternately with
    the combined milk and vanilla.

Turn the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pan.
    Bake in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cake springs
    back when lightly touched in the center.

Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool completely; Place
    the cake on a serving plate and split horizontally into two layers with
    a serrated knife. Carefully remove the top layer.

Fill with the chilled Cream Filling. Replace the top half and pour the
    warm Chocolate Icing over the top, spreading only to the edges. Chill.
    (When allowed to stand for several hours, the filling seeps into the
    cake, making the cake and filling seem almost as one.)

Cream Filling

1/2 cup sugar
    3 egg yolks
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 cups milk

Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the
    milk. Cook over low heat, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
    Boil, stirring for 1 minute. Beat the egg yolks slightly. Gradually
    stir in about half the thickened sauce. Return to the heat and cook.
    stirring 2 or 3 minutes longer to take away the flour taste. Remove
    from the heat and blend in the butter. Strain into a bowl. Cool for a
    few minutes, then blend in the vanilla. Cover and cool, then chill.

Chocolate Icing

2 squares of chocolate
    1 cup sifted icing sugar
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoons hot water
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt the chocolate and butter the microwave on medium low power. Stir
    until smooth, and blend in the icing sugar and hot water. Stir until
    smooth and slightly thickened (do not beat). Stir in the vanilla. Use
    immediately.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

We had a wonderful dinner last night. Our neighbour Clif, dropped by on Friday night and invited us to dinner at his house along with two other neighbours, Pam and Jim. He asked me if I would roast a Prime Rib and make the Yorkshire Puddings and he would do all the vegetables.

Saturday he dropped off a gorgeous 3 rib, 6 and half pound Prime Rib. Usually I presalt my meat the day in advance. But no time to do that. So I just rubbed the roast with fresh garlic, salt and lots of fresh grounded pepper a few hours in advance.

I was a little nervous about roasting this for others. Moe and I love our meat rare, but I know that Clif prefers it less rare than we do and I had no idea how Pam and Jim liked theirs. I went a head and roasted it using the high heat method but rather than taking it out of the oven when it was 115°F, I left it in a little longer and took it out about 124°F knowing it would continue to cook a little as it rested. And I tested the temperature in the smallest end so that the slightly larger end would be a little more rare. Turned out perfect if I do say so myself. Nicely pink at one end and more rare past the middle. While the roast was in the oven, I simmered some shallots, garlic, red wine and a squirt of tomato paste until reduced and then added a two cups of beef broth and again simmered until reduced. Use this base to make a gravy from the pan drippings. The Yorkshires baked while the roast rested. Clif made mashed potatoes, green beans , the dreaded carrots, and beets as sides. For dessert I baked the Portuguese Almond Cake and Pam brought lemon squares.

No pictures of dinner but here is a picture of the Prime Rib waiting to go into the oven.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Mmmm.... I just may try the Boston Cream Pie for dessert tonight! Are the choc squares for the topping unsweetened? I haven't had BCP for years as it's not often served down here nowadays for some reason. Though I remember that it was one of my favorites when eating out as a child. I guess things come and go!

We had a lovely dinner last night with my oldest son. I had bought some fresh shrimp that morning, and I made a pesto/penne main dish, spinach salad (none for my husband on the coumadin), and homemade whole wheat and honey rolls.

I received my "new" camera from an ebay "win" and am kicking myself because I thought that my old charger would work....NOT! So I've got a camera, battery and now have to order a charger to get it all to work.... sigh!

Saved back some shrimp and will probably be combining that with some lumb crabmeat that I bought yesterday for a seafood au gratin for tonight!

Grace

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Great comfort food pics!
    Boy Sharon I wish I could make a good frittata. I just do NOT have the knack. Mine always come out as a version of scrambled eggs!

• diinohio
    15 years ago

Thanks for the Boston Cream Pie recipe Ann, I'll make that later this week.

And I want to tell you that I get a kick out of your neighbor Clif!

I think that you posted once before that he invited you to dinner and bought the food (crabs I think!) and you cooked!
    He's a smart man! lol Wish I had a neighbor like you!

Di

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Mmm....those cinnamon buns are calling to me Di!

Also Ann's Boston Cream Pie and roast beef.

Well I bought two slices of cheesecake from the German bakery and that was our dessert for today. With just the two of us we could never finish a whole cake....but I would really try my best to get through a warm blackberry pie though....if we could ever get blackberries here.

I cooked a small turkey breast today....it was just half a kilo so it didn't take long in my little toaster oven. Sliced an orange and an onion over it, with a bit of oil and plenty of dried thyme and put some yams and green pepper to bake on the shelf underneath.

Steamed vegetables were potatoes, broad beans, leek and carrots and the gravy was made from the turkey and orange juices together with some chicken broth.

Weather was warm and sunny with blue skies so we sat outside to dine on the patio.

SharonCb

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Di, the Boston Cream Pie recipe I use is almost the same as Ann's with the exception of the chocolate topping, we prefer a ganache type glaze that isn't as sweet as regular icing.

Chocolate Glaze

4 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon unsalted butter

Place chopped chocolate in a small heat-proof bowl. Bring cream and butter to a gentle boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate allow to stand 3-5 minutes. Gently stir until smooth. Set aside a few minutes until it has thickened to pouring consistency.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

WHOA! Yummy! The prime rib looks perfect before cooking.

Ann, I'm so glad that you and Moe seem to be enjoying the new area where you live. I do wish we had neighbors...anyone that would appreciate good cooking. It seems you have landed in the "right" place.

Tonight I'm cooking/grilling AnnT's meatloaf with a side of green and yellow beans. It's enough for us tonight!

I'm now insipired by many of your post and recipes. With the holidays approching I'm gleeming off WFD thread.

• diinohio
    15 years ago

Thanks marigene, you've got me craving BCP!

Di

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann, I'm very sure that the prime rib was succulent and wonderful, it looks great. Did ya save me a slice???

Sharon, I know I've said it many times, I would love to come and sit and chat in your back yard. I love the variety of flowers and plants.

Hey Karen, I read what you were planning for dinner tonight...but I beat you to it.
    Meatloaf, green beans and creamed baked potatoes with bacon, green onions and cheese.

It's 32 and has been snowing most of the day. Comfort food was calling to me.

Nancy

• blizlady
    15 years ago

bri29, about the palmiers from Ina Garten. I watched her show this morning and she made palmiers similar to what you described, except that she made sundried tomato & basil pesto in a food processor. She rolled out the puff pastry dough a bit so it was a little thinner, but not too thin. And she really spread a pretty good amount of that pesto to the edges of the pastry before folding it up. They were called Tomato Basil Elephant ears and looked delicious! It made a huge batch of pesto though, and she didn't use it all on one sheet of puff pastry.

Tomato Basil Elephant Ears
    Ina Garten
    20 serving pieces

1 1/4 cups sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
    5 cups basil leaves, packed
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup good olive oil
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
    1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    To make the paste, place the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process for 30 seconds. Add the basil, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for 15 seconds. Set aside.
    Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry and place it on a lightly floured board. With a rolling pin, lightly roll the dough until it's a 13-inch square. Using a knife, spread the paste over the top of the puff pastry. Fold the sides of the square toward the center so they go halfway to the middle. Fold them again so the 2 folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough. Then fold one half over the other half as though closing a book. You will have 6 layers. Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush each piece with egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for 6 minutes. Turn each pastry slice over and continue baking an additional 5 minutes.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Dinners all look delish....

We made two smoked chickens on Friday night (DS #1 brought his GF over for dinner - something new for us!) and had lots of leftovers. I made Udon salad with spicy peanut butter sauce tonight with leftovers. No veggies in the house so I tossed in some frozen peas.

Tomorrow I have to make a pan of lemon bars for DH #1's English Class - Ina Garten's, of course. Dinner? Haven't gotten that far yet. Better think fast, tomorrow night will find everyone eating at different times. Soup?

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Sharon, your back yard is beautiful.

Nancy, creamed baked potatoes. Doesn't that sound good.

Last nights dinner was roasted chicken. I presalted it the night before.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I love, love this thread! Amazing food, pics, table settings, recipes, and SharonCB's little paradise on the island. I did take a pic of dinner this past Saturday. Had company in from out of town and made Sharon's Herb Crusted Pork. I used a whole loin this time instead of the rack. Garlic mashed potatoes and popcorn cauliflower were the sides and some of that five minute artiain bread...not in the pic.

I'm not sure who to credit for the cauliflower but I know it came from this forum and we are addicted to it. If you know please let me know or step up and claim your fame with my group. Here is my plate with extra sauce/gravy....lol.

David

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Oh David, I love how generous you were with the gravy. Sharon's herbed pork is my favourite pork recipe.

We had Italian tonight. Breaded chicken with a side of pasta.

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Oooh, I am seriously drooling over that pepper steak! Any chance we could get a recipe Di?

I wanted to post about something yummy I made last night -- an americanized pasta a la amatriciana, with smoked bacon and roasted tomatoes. The sauce was quick, easy, and most importantly delicious! I know many of you are not Rachel Ray fans, but I must say this was a good one...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pasta Amatriciana

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

David I have a recipe for Popcorn Cauliflower that Rene (Bubbe) posted, we love it! Is this the one?

Popcorn Cauliflower - Bubbe

2 heads cauliflower
    1 Tsp salt
    2 Tsp sugar
    1/4 Tsp onion powder
    1/4 Tsp garlic powder
    1/2 Tsp paprika
    1/2 Tsp turmeric
    6-8 Tbl lve oil

Cut the cauliflower into small florets, toss the stems. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss the cauliflower to coat it. Put the cauliflower in a single layer on a lined pan and Roast at 450 for about 35 minutes, tossing occasionally.

PS: Glad you enjoy the pork roast, it's on the cottage menu for this weekend.

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Ann, I would like one of those chicken cutlets.

We had a small pork loin the other night so I used the leftover to make individual pork pot pies and a salad last night.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Great looking meals everyone! David it's nice to see you here too and with that lovely roast dinner.
    I will also have to try that popcorn cauliflower as that's one veg we both like and that looks so good.

Yesterday we were out for sauerbraten with red cabbage which has always been well done at the Austrian restaurant,
    (old photo from previous time) but I usually have bratkartoffeln rather than their dumpling show in this pic.

Today I again made teriyaki chicken strips with stirfried vegetables over basmati rice. Oh how I love that dish! I had two helpings.
    We sat indoors today as although the sun was out, it was a bit too windy for the terrace.
    I was downtown twice shopping with the car before dashing home to make lunch. Had the chicken marinating though before I left.

I just received my two boxes that I sea mailed to myself from Canada when I was there. They contain my luggage spillover items as well as new books and kitchen gadgets .....such as a new large OXO can opener. This one better work! And the new 25 year edition of The Silver Palate Cookbook thanks to my sister who every year gives me a birthday gift certificate to one of my favourite Victoria bookstores. I will be reading that in bed tonight! I also bought some Hungarian paprika and Old Bay Seasoning which I'm now putting on my spice shelf ....if I find room.

Sauerbraten, red cabbage and dumpling

Teriyaki chicken with stir fried vegetables & Basmati rice

I think tomorrow will be another salmon day for us. Forecast is for rain so I guess we'll be inside for lunch again.

SharonCb

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Oh my that pot pie looks so good!! Is that a puff pastry top and a cheesy sauce?

Sharon, is the teriyaki chicken a standard recipe? Have you already posted it?

I bought myself a present this week... a Griddler! I've wanted one for a year now and found the last one on the shelf at a Linens N Things store closing sale.

Last night I thawed a round of potato/onion focaccia from the freezer. Grilled some shrimp on one side of the griddler and some portobellos and onions on the other. Then wiped off the griddle plates and put the shrimp, onions, mushrooms on the bread with some chunks of Gouda cheese and some dijon. Closed the lid for 5 minutes and WOW finally a homemade crispy pannini that is melted through! Soooo good! Served it with my version of Waldorf Salad (a green and a red apple, a few raisins mixed with a little yogurt, a squeeze of lemon and a swirl of honey).

I used the machine to heat up the leftover wedge for lunch today. Can't wait to see what I can do with leftover turkey next week!

Grace

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I'm so behind on WFD:( Everything looks so wonderful. It all has me drooling on my keyboard!

I've been cooking off and on. The last three weeks has just been a world-wind of family matters to take care of. Last night I cooked a pork tenderloin that I had marinated in Teriyaki Sauce, etc. Served with bok choy cabbage & white rice. The night before I made a pizza with the works for us. It wasn't bad but not the best that I have made. The weather has been so cold here and the wind has really been blowing making it feel even colder. Thank goodness for a freezer with homemade soups stashed away.

gb, enjoy your Griddler. I have one also and really enjoy it and it is so easy to clean. Makes great grilled sandwiches.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Grace it sounds like you're going to really enjoy that griddle!

Here's the link that I posted about this teriyaki chicken & veg dish that I put together. It's really good!

I have to point out a typo in the ingredient list......it should read 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce for marinade and not 1/4 cup
    (which also works but 1/2 C is better.)

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Teriyaki Chicken & Stir Fried Vegetables

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks Sharon, Meredith will love that dish!

Last night was lasagna, seems I have finally perfected the dish, at least from Clive's perspective. He raved and raved, said he never had any better. I though it was a bit to "wet". Next time I'll make it is individual baking dishes so it doesn't have to be cut......as I said it was too wet but it tasted delish!

Tonight is Tempura shrimp, fried rice and steamed broccoli.