Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bob's Red Mill Products

Posted by olychick (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 14:13

I think a lot of us use the products. Thought you would enjoy this story. Makes me want to buy more!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's Red Mill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bob's Red Mill Products

I agree, it's a great company and I do buy the products.

If you notice, it was first published in February of 2010, so I'm assuming, since it was updated, that the company is doing well under the "new" ownership of the vested employees. Good for them!

Annie

o

I didn't notice the date difference...wonder what was updated? Strange. Well, I missed it in 2010, so glad to know about it now.

o

While all of their products I've tried are good, I often buy their hull-less barley. I mix one 28 oz bag of that with a 4.5 pound can of steel cut oats from Honeyville. That works out to about 1/3 barley to 2/3 oats. That's my standard breakfast porridge (I use a small 1.5 qt slow cooker to cook the grains overnight).

I'll sometimes use the barley as a low GI substitute for rice or pasta; cooking it in chicken stock makes it quite tasty. Again, using the slow cooker is nice because it takes about 4 hours to cook the barley.

o

Great story. I love companies like this. I buy Bob's Red Mill flours and other product already. I'll do so even more from now on.

o

I too love Bob's Red Mill Products, but I am always puzzled that although it says clearly on the package that the contents should be refrigerated, they are sold on open shelves, even in most health food stores.

o

I think they do that is because some people do not use the product up real fast and it's a way to keep it fresh longer. I use old blue 1/2 gal. Mason jars as canisters, i put my Bobs Red Mill flours in those jars and keep on my cabinet and it stays fresh.

o

How can whole grain products stay fresh without refrigeration? I've always heard that once grains are cracked or ground, they must be refrigerated immediately. Perhaps grainlady could offer some info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here