SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Heart healthy gift ideas?

northcarolina
11 years ago

I am thinking of giving baked goods or homemade candy as Christmas gifts this year. Several of the people on my list (mostly family) are in their 60's/70's, and I know at least one of them has heart trouble. Now I can certainly tailor the gift to the person, but in the interests of cooking in bulk, does anyone have any ideas for suitable from-the-kitchen gifts for people who might not appreciate high levels of fat and salt? (I don't think they need to be totally free of both since these are to be treats, not a whole meal.) It would be easiest for me if whatever I make is shelf-stable at room temp for a couple of weeks.

I was thinking perhaps crackers made with whole wheat and olive oil (if I can find a recipe), chocolate graham crackers, maybe homemade marshmallows, maybe caramel corn or some other flavored popcorn (we use an air popper if that matters). Probably toffee or another candy, but in small doses for the people who might not be able to eat much. Maybe peppermint bark (with dark chocolate?). Is popcorn a weird gift for older folks? Do any of those other things sound like something you all (in general) would like to get?

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz