Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the shelf life of flour?

Posted by trixietx (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 14:10

I usually go through flour pretty quick, but I have some whole wheat and better for bread flour that I have had for awhile. I just don't know how long it lasts. I don't store it in the freezer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the shelf life of flour?

Flour keeps 6-8-months, possibly up to 12-months, at room temperature (70-degrees F.).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Storage

o

Thank you very much!

o

I just bought some KA flour with a 10/29/12 "best by" date, so I'm guessing a year sounds about right.

o

Whole wheat has a much shorter shelf life because of the wheat germ. I'd give it a good sniff before using it. It goes rancid.

I'm in FL so I keep it in the freezer (that side of the freezer will have to be emptied because of cooking ahead for the big day). Hope the weather turns a bit cooler.

o

Hi,

after trying to find out which long storage food kit may fit my needs, I review four of them there, possibly this can help.

If anyone think about family safety, have food reserve for each of family member is must and freeze dried food with 25 years shelf life IMHO is one of the best choices for long storage.

Of course if anyone know better choices, I think that all of us would like to hear about alternatives.

Kind regards,
Survivalist Dude

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeze Dried Food Review

o

Hope you survive a food shortage better than you survived English class.

o

Survivaldude, is English not your first language? What country are you from?

It is generally frowned on here for spammers to join up only to promote their own websites. I see you joined yesterday and made an off topic post promoting your website. Are you going to participate here or just promote your website? Are you selling something?

o

happyday, I know that first message with link to web page may look like spammy, but I tough that is better share something useful with community as just say plain "hi".

I have garden, generally fruit trees, some flowers and old northern grapes, not much, but enough for our family eat some bunches of tasty self grown grapes at autumn and if year is good, also make ten or a bit more bottles with wine from leftovers. Some topics on wine making bring me there.

Yes, English is not my first language as You note, but I try :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here