Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making bread

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 14:08

I am making bread. We will see how it comes out. I found an old Better Homes & Gardens Bread cook book at the library yesterday. I am trying the Perfect White Bread. I could choose the easy method, in the mixer, and finish mixing and kneading by hand, or the conventional method. Well, my hands won't do the old fashioned way, so I did it in my KA, including mixing in the last of the flour. I just can't stir it by hand. But I did knead it by hand for the whole 10 minutes! I may not be able to do anything else for the rest of the day, but I did it! It is now rising for the first time. Of course, I didn't think fast enough. DS came and helped unload the canned goods and other food stuff that can't be left in for the winter, and a few other odd jobs for us. DH has the day off today because it's election day, so the two of them got some yard stuff done. DS took baking and pastry in high school at the vocational school. He got the master bread maker award. I should have made him stay until it was ready to knead! He would have known when it was just right. Oh, well, now I can honestly say that I did it! Here it is rising in the bowl.

Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making bread

"It's alive! It's alive! It's alive!"

dcarch

o

Yum Tami! Looks great. I can almost smell it baking. I need to get some no knead bread going now that I'm back home...oops... no stove yet, well no propane. Now I really want it. LOL

o

coco!! You are alive!!...Even if no propane....yeah!!!
Bread looks lovely....post another picture of it soon!!

o

Well, it's in the pans, finally, and in the oven with the light on for warmth, for the final rise. I forgot to take pics of it before I did that. Sorry. I'll try to remember to take one before and after baking! Now I remember why I don't like making my own bread. It seems to take forever! And I always end up baking it late at night. It shouldn't be much longer before I put it in to bake tho.

Coconut, I am so glad to see you post! We were worried about you.

Tami

o
RE: Making bread......

Well, 45 minutes later, it hasn't risen. I am letting is go for another 15 minutes to see what happens. I am not happy.

o

Looks like it's starting to rise to me....just give it some more time. Love, love homemade bread!

Great to see you posting Coconut! Hope y'all are doing okay!

David

o

What is the temperature of your kitchen?

I know people always say use the oven light, but the oven light gives very little heat. The bulb is insulated from the oven so that the bulb will not be damaged when the oven is on.

dcarch

o
RE: Making bread...

The kitchen is never very warm except in the summer. The oven light in my oven is actually VERY warm. I have to use a pot holder to touch the bread pans. They have been in there for an hour and a half, and I just set the timer for another half hour.

o
RE: Making bread.....

Ijust put it in the oven. It still hasn't risen as much as I expected it to. They will be very short loaves. Oh well. It's 9:30 now. There is no way I can stay up late enough to let it rise any more. It will have to do. I'm ready for bed now. Meds are kicking my butt. When it comes out, I'll take it out of the pans and cover them with a towel until morning.

o

If you can't touch the pans then it may be too hot a spot to rise dough. FWIW I have a very chilly home. I just let the dough go slow even overnight. Much better flavor and texture. Plus then I am not waiting in frustration. Your dough is beautiful!

o

I also have a very cold kitchen and sometimes bread just seems to take forever to rise.

I'd have just stuck those pans into the fridge and baked them in the morning!

I'm sure it will be delicious anyway.

Coconut, I knew you were OK but couldn't post on the "hurricane" thread on conversations because it's full, I suppose I should start another one, since I've also heard from Woodie...

Annie

o

Thanks. I have an appointment first thing in the morning, so I can't let it go overnight and bake it in them morning.

o

Annie, we must have been posting at the same time! The bread is out of the oven. I won't cut it until morning, but it smells good! It rose some more in the oven. Couldn't bake it in the morning, as I have an appointment, probably two if I can get into the chiropractor after my hair appt.

o

Yes, there's always a bit of "oven spring" but I never know how much I'll get if I don't let the bread rise long enough before putting it in.

That looks perfectly delicious, though, and I bet it was.

Annie

o

Well, pictures are in my phone. I haven't emailed them to myself yet. I have to bricks! They are eatable, flavor is ok, but they are very dense. I got to thinking about it, and decided there might not have been enough yeast in it. The recipe called for .25 oz of yeast. Well, my scale doesn't read that way. I can do .2 oz or .3 oz, but not .25 oz. So I went to .3 and took some out. If I can remember, I will post the pics sometime tomorrow. Phone is on the charger now.

Tami

o

Well, pictures are in my phone. I haven't emailed them to myself yet. I have to bricks! They are eatable, flavor is ok, but they are very dense. I got to thinking about it, and decided there might not have been enough yeast in it. The recipe called for .25 oz of yeast. Well, my scale doesn't read that way. I can do .2 oz or .3 oz, but not .25 oz. So I went to .3 and took some out. If I can remember, I will post the pics sometime tomorrow. Phone is on the charger now.

Tami

o

Your oven was too hot.
For a quick rise, I put a quart glass conatiner of water in to the micro and run the micro until the water boils. Then put in the dough to rise. It's warm in there and steamy and bread pops right up.
However you get a better flavor with a longer rise.
Should have pout the bread in the refrig over night, taken it out and put it on the counter when you came home from your appointments and baked it just before dinner.

o

OH Lindac, thanks for that idea! I've been putting my bread on the stove with a pot of water on a burner on low simmer next to it covered(the loaf) with plastic! (for more heat in a coldish kitchen) This is a much better idea!

IMHO, I think that you just didn't allow the dough to rise high enough on your loaves. I'm new to bread baking and learn something new each time and my first loaf I did as you did and didn't allow enough rise time but second loaf I allowed it to rise what I was afraid was too high but it was perfect!

o

That's a beautiful Polish pottery bread pan.

o

Linda, I'll try to remember to try that next time! I may not have put in enough yeast either. It called for .25 oz. My scale doesn't do the that, only .2. I guesstamated after that.

CC, thanks! We just bought it this summer! DH is Polish. I didn't expect anyone to recognize it as Polish Pottery. I wouldn't have before we bought it.

Tami

o

That IS a lovely pan, Tami.

I've also been known to put my bread dough in a cooler with a canning jar full of hot water to give it a warm place to rise, especially if I want to use the microwave for something else (like a cup of tea while waiting for the bread to rise!).

Annie

o

Thanks everyone. I was in the hospital during the storm, so couldn't check in until I got home earlier in the week. I appreciate your concern.

Tami, you wouldn't believe how long it takes in my cold house for bread to rise. I like Annie's idea of the cooler. Only thing is Christy won't be happy with me bringing it inside since she'll be the one to drag it back out to the garage when I'm done. Our garage is not attached. LOL. I do seem to have better luck with my no knead bread since it's doing so much slow rising in the fridge before the last rise after you shape it. Still... takes time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here