SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Cranberry Orange scones from Yasou (Oly)

jessyf
15 years ago

Anyone remember my friend Oly? She is still here....but busy! She came over the other day and brought fresh made scones. OMG these are the BEST I've ever had. Of course I couldn't hold out on you guys. Thanks again Oly!

(Pssst Oly tell them about your new job....)

Cranberry Orange Scones

2½ cups flour

1 Tbsp baking powder

1/3 tsp salt

¼ cup sugar

1 Tbsp orange zest

4½ oz. unsalted butter, cold, cut in ½ inch cubes

½ cup dried cranberries, currents or other dried fruit (plumped in warm water or juice)

1 egg

½ cup heavy cream

1 tsp vanilla

Egg wash - 1 egg and 1 yolk, mixed together

1. Over a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Whisk together the egg, cream and vanilla and dried fruit.

2. Add the orange zest and cold butter to the sifted ingredients. With your fingers, break up and flatten the butter pieces until they are pea sized.

3. Add the egg, cream mixture to the flour mixture, and gently combine until the dough is evenly moist.

4. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface, pat together and form into a ½ inch thick rectangle; fold dough in half. Pat down and fold over again.

5. Roll the dough into a 1½ - 2 inch thick rectangle (or pat into a circle of the same thickness). Wrap and refrigerate a minimum of 20 minutes (I have refrigerated as long as overnight),

6. Cut the rectangle into squares and then again on a diagonal, forming triangles, (or cut the circle in wedges) Flip the scones over and arrange on a parchment lined sheet tray. Glaze with the egg wash and apply a generous layer of sugar.

7. Bake at 375° for about 20 minutes.

Makes 8 scones

Comments (14)