Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade freezer snacks

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 4, 08 at 14:05

that you can just pop in the oven or microwave for something quick to nibble on?

I need a change from breakfast burritos or beef and bean burritos that I bring to work for a quick lunch.

A gal on another board said she makes hot pockets for a quick grab and go meal, but she hasn't been back to tell me how she makes them yet.

What do you make quantities of to have on hand for a quickie?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade freezer snacks

The first thing that came to my mind was these. We used to have them stored in the freezer for my brother and I to heat up and eat. It's been a long time since I have made these but they sound pretty good to me right now!

Party Pizzas (Southern Living Cookbook from who knows how long ago)

1 pound hot ground pork sausage
1 (16 oz.) loaf process cheese spread, diced - Velvetta
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 (16 oz.) loaf cocktail rye bread (we did a combination of rye and pumpernickel)

Brown sausage in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles; drain well. Add cheese spread and next 4 ingredients; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese spread melts. Spread mixture evenly on bread slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10 mins or until bubbly. Yield about 6 dozen.

NOTE: To make pizzas ahead, place the unbaked pizzas in a single layer on large baking sheets, and freeze until firm. Place the pizzas in plastic freezer bags. To serve, thaw and bake as directed.

o

have on hand for a quickie?

don't even think about it, Denise

Back to the OP....I've been on an instant oatmeal kick lately. One minute in the nuker and I'm good to go. Also, I'll grab a yogurt (latest favorite flavor is orange-cream by Cascade Mountain, I think) with some granola.

o

I make "hot pockets" with premade pie crust, the kind you get rolled up in the refrigerator section. I cut it into triangle shapes, fill and fold over. You get four to a side. They reheat well. Can also make your own crust and shapes, but y'all know I'm piecrust challenged.

I make refried bean dip, sour cream and home canned salsa for a quick dinner. And microwaved soup. PB&J sandwiches, soup and those little cottage cheese containers are some things I have on hand for instant dinner. Also buy the premade pizza crusts and put on frozen shredded cheese, squeezeable sauce, and whatever leftovers go with a pizza.

o

Campbell's Tomato Soup. Mmmm mmmm good. Seriously, with a handful of those mini Saltines. Comfort food in a can.

o

jessyf - I have NEVER been able to eat oatmeal, the sight & texture have always just turned me off. Because it is so good for you, I have tried & tried w/o success - always ended up going down the drain. BUT...I just discovered hot cereal from Kashi that is awesome. It's not just oatmeal, but many different grains. It is Truly Vanilla and cooks up creamier and less 'slimy' than oatmeal. The cinnamon is good as well, but the Truly Vanilla made with SlenderSoy vanilla is really good! Now I can get my oatmeal in something other than a cookie! (Kind of defeats the purpose, huh?)

o

OT, but Pam, are you sure that we weren't cloned from the same egg? LOL
If you like Campbell's Tomato Soup, give Wolfgang Puck's a try, it's even better! Although I prefer it with a crustier cracker like pita chips!

o

These are some easy snacks:

Egg n Bacon Crescent Sandwiches
Preheat oven to 375F.

8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
3 oz. or 3/4c grated Swiss or cheddar cheese
1/4c finely chopped celery
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
3 TB mayonnaise
1 TB mustard
1 8oz. can Pillsbury Crescent rolls

mayonnaise to brush on top
sesame seeds

Mix bacon thru mustard in a bowl. Separate dough into 4 rectangles, pressing perforations together. Cut each rectangle in half. Spoon about 1/4c egg mixture into center of dough square. Pull 4 corners up of dough square to cover top of filling, pinching edges to seal. Place seam side down on ungreased baking sheet.
Flatten each slightly. Brush with a little more mayonnaise and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375 for 12-18 minutes.

Tamale Pocket Sandwiches

1 lb. ground beef
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 med. onion, finely chopped
7 oz. can Mexi-corn
2 t. chili powder
2 cans Hungry Jack biscuits
salt and pepper to taste
sliced American cheese
1/4t. garlic powder

Brown beef, drain. Add rest through corn, simmer 10-15 minutes or until thick.

Separate biscuits, roll or press all 20 biscuits to a 5-inch circle. Spoon about 1/4c meet mixture onto 10 dough circles. Top each with half a slice of cheese. Put
other dough circle on top, press edges with fork to seal.

Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Will freeze fine.

Barbecue Cups
makes about 20 - preheat oven to 400

3/4lb. lean ground beef
1 TB plus chopped onion
2 TB brown sugar
1/2c BBQ sauce
canned biscuits 2 10 pks.
grated cheddar cheese

Brown beef, drain fat. Add onion and saute lightly. Add sugar and sauce, simmer a few minutes.

Press biscuits to make a larger circle. Put into muffin tin cups. Add meat mixture, top with grated cheddar cheese. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes.

For pizza cups, add pizza sauce to browned beef, omit sugar, top with grated mozzarella cheese.

Sausage n Cheese Turnovers
makes 10 - preheat oven to 350

10oz can Hungry Jack biscuits
1/2lb bulk sausage, brown, drain
1/4t Italian herbs
4 oz can mushroom pieces, drained, pat dry
4 oz (1 c) grated mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
3 TB grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350. Grease baking sheet. Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Roll each to a 5-inch circle. Combine sausage, herbs, mushrooms, and mozz in a bowl. Spoon 3 TB meat mixture onto center of flattened biscuits. Fold over, press edges to seal. Brush tops with beaten egg. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Put on sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temp.

Bacon Quiche Cups
makes 10 - preheat oven to 375

8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
2 TB milk
2 eggs
1/2c shredded Swiss cheese
2 TB green onions, chopped
10 oz. can Hungry Jack biscuits
5 slices bacon, crisp cooked crumbled

Heat oven to 375. Grease 10 muffin tin cups. Form biscuits in the cups. Put half the bacon in the biscuit cups. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, milk and eggs until smooth. Stir in Swiss cheese and onions. Spoon 2 TB mixture into each biscuit cup over the bacon. Bake at 375 for 20-25 min. or until filling is set and biscuit edges are golden. Top with rest of bacon, pressing into filling. Remove cups from pan. Reheat wrapped in foil at 350 for 10-15 min. or until warm.

Bierocks and calzones are two other "hot pocket" type snacks than can be frozen.

Bierocks (I add a slice of mild American cheese when filling them.)

15 Bierocks

FILLING INGREDIENTS
4 cups cabbage, cut fine
1/2 cup onion, cut fine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb hamburger
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper (optional)
DOUGH INGREDIENTS
4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
FILLING: In a large frying pan, cook the cabbage and onion together until the cabbage is completely softened and golden.
This process can be hastened by adding a half-cup of water (or so) and covering the pan, but eventually cook all the liquid off before proceeding.
Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne, if desired.
In a separate pan, brown the hamburger.
Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne, if desired.
Mix the cabbage/onion with the hamburger thoroughly.
You may complete this part of the recipe in advance,refrigerating until needed, or just before you are ready to assemble the rolls.
DOUGH: In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
In a saucepan heat milk, sugar, butter and salt just till warm (115-120 degrees F) and butter is almost melted; stir constantly.
Ad to flour mixture; add eggs.
Beat at low speed for 1/2 minute, then three minutes at high speed.
Stir in as much remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon.
Turn out onto a floured surface.
Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
Shape into a ball, and place in a greased bowl; turn once.
Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (about 1 hour).
Punch down and cover; let rest 10 minutes.
ASSEMBLY: Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, and a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
Cut into squares of 3 inches by 3 or 4 inches by 4.
By the spoonful, place some filling mixture into the center of each square, apportioning all of the mixture among the squares.
For each, bring the two opposite corner ends of the dough square up to meet one another, then do the same with remaining ends and pinch them (all 4) together with your fingers.
You will see that you now have open slits along the diagnals; pinch these together as well, making a seam of each. Water on your fingertips will facilitate them staying"glued" together.
The end product should be a square with a seam running from each corner to the center where all four are joined.
Set the squares on a baking sheet (if you had trouble keeping the seams closed, you can flip them over so that the seams are against the baking sheet, thereby keeping all the filling in place and making a nicer presentation).
Let raise 30 minutes.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

** you can use packaged "hot roll mix" for the dough or frozen bread dough.

This looks good and easy too!

Pepperoni Bread
Submitted by: Martha Katz
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 308 members Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes Ready In: 2 Hours 55 Minutes
Yields: 10 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 (1 pound) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
1 egg, beaten
4 ounces sliced pepperoni
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Roll frozen bread dough out into a rectangle. Brush dough with beaten egg. Arrange pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the dough. Sprinkle on the Italian seasoning. Roll up dough like a jelly roll and pinch seam to seal; place, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until golden.

o

Thank you guys so much! I feel a cooking/freezing marathon coming up.

o

These can be frozen for later use also.

SAUSAGE CALZONE BITES

2 oz. Bulk Sweet Italian sausage
1/3 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
1/4 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
1/2 of an 8 oz. jar pizza sauce (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp. Dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1 (10 oz.) pkg. Refrigerated pizza dough
2 tsp. Milk
2 Tblsp. Finely shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium skillet cook sausage and green pepper until sausage is no longer pink; drain off fat. Stir in the provolone cheese, half of the pizza sauce, and the Italian seasoning. Unroll the pizza dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll or stretch the dough to a 12-inch square. Cut into sixteen 3-inch squares.
Spoon a rounded teaspoonful of sausage mixture onto half of each square. Moisten edges of dough with water and fold over, forming a rectangle. Pinch or press with a fork to seal edges. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Prick tops of calzones with a fork; brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce to serve with calzones for dipping. Makes 16 mini calzones.

o

Ellen -- I'd be honored to come from the same egg as you. I thought of this thread at lunch today. I was at a luncheon to honor one of our hospital donors and the first course was tomato soup, obviously not Campbell's. (Ellen, the luncheon was at The Union League in what I call The Hall of Old White Men.)

I'll look for Wolfgang's recipe, but I'm much better off popping the lid off a can.

o

I think the Wolfgang Puck Tomato soup is canned too! Look for it at your grocery!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolfgang puck soups

o

Oh thanks, Alexa. I have never seen them in my store but I am usually blinded by all the Progresso and Campbells on the shelves. Food Source always stocks more upscale stuff so I'll look there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here