Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a 10 inch pan with a 9' recipe HELP!!!

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 14:00

So here my problem I have pie pans that are 10 inches and my recipes say to use 9 inche pie pans.....Do you think the extra inche makes that big of a difference in filling the crust??? If it does... how do you fix that...other than buying new pie pans...THANK YOU!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a 10 inch pan with a 9' recipe HELP!!!

What kind of pie are you making?

o

Here's the volumes for different size baking pans, including pie plates: Pan Size Substitutes. There will be at least a volume difference of 1 cup between a 10-inch and 9-inch pan (2 cups if it's a deep dish pie plate). Your pie will be that much thinner. Could you increase the filling by 25%? That would make up the difference.

Lori

o

You can calculate the size difference by comparing the squares of the diameters. This will give you 100:81, or approximately 20% more in a 10" pan compared to a 9" pan. The volume will vary slightly because of the slanted sides, but this should give you a close approximation. For me, I buy new pans or alter recipes. I had a recipe for a lime pie that called for a 16 oz can of sweetened condensed milk, and the cans today are 14 oz and so I added a couple of tablespoons of cream cheese and a tablespoon of sugar.

The way I would fix the recipe would depend on the recipe.

Lars

o

Rachel:
Lengthen the Recipe to 10 inch.
If it is a Fruit Pie,like Apple, no problem.
Just add another cup of Apples and a little more flour ,or whatever.
Don't know what kind you are baking ???
LOU

o

Eh? I'm not baking a pie. At least, not tonight. I wondered what kind of pie Eileen was making because then I'd know what she could add to her filling to bulk it up...so to speak.

However, today I did score a couple of smaller-than-usual pyrex pie pans at a yard sale. Mmmmmm...just the right size for my husband and me. We both like the occasional slice of pie as a treat, but really don't need to have the leftovers hanging about!

o

Rachel:
I did a boo !!!
I meant that for Eileen.
LOU

o

Oh well. Thirty lashes with a wet noodle. ;)

o

Thanks for the tips...Im making Coconut Custard ,Pecan, Mixed Berry, Apple and Pumpkin!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here