SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Knife sharpening /whetstone

Lars
9 years ago

Yesterday I received my Mac Japanese vegetable cleaver, and the blade is so sharp, it will shave hair. It is more like a straight razor than a knife, and I was able to slice vegetables paper thin with no effort. The instructions say that it will need to be sharpened after a year or so of use (but also warn not to throw it), and that made me think that I should get my other knives sharpened. My sister complained that they were not sharp enough when she visited last, but I had to teach her how to slice using a sawing motion rather than a straight down force, and then she was able to slice okay. I do want to be able to get my old knives sharper, however, and would prefer not to have to replace them.

I found these sharpening stones on the site where I bought my Mac knife, but I do not know what would work best for me. Alternatively, I am been considering taking my knives to the knife sharpening person at the Farmers' Market in Mar Vista some Sunday, but I would really prefer to be able to sharpen the knives myself. I havea cheap Chef's Choice sharpener that I bought as an emergency tool at BB&B because I could not find a whetstone at the time.

What is your favorite way to sharpen knives and what tools do you recommend for this?

Lars

P.S. I am considering getting this one because it is electric, but maybe a whetstone would be better.

This post was edited by publickman on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 14:09

Comments (16)