Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pan Fried Chicken?

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 13:48

Another question. I remember that someone posted a recipe (more of a technique) a while ago about pan frying chicken pieces. I seem to recall that no oil or butter was needed and no breading at all. The pieces were fried skin side down in a pan until the skin had rendered all its fat and left a wonderfully crisp coating to the chicken. I think I remember that the pieces were weighted down in the pan. I also thought it was a technique used by a famous chef.

Anyhow, yesterday my daughter-in-law described her uncle doing something similar in the oven. So I bravely said, "Someone on the Cooking Forum has perfected that technique on the stove top." Of course, once I said that, I wasn't able to find the threads. Can you help? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pan Fried Chicken?

Is this the one you're thinking of?

I've made it often,
It's really good
And easy! ! !
I don't always make the sauce for it, either.

It is about the 7th post down,
Posted by Arley.

I personally haven't tried it with white meat,
But I would think it would work,
As long as the meat was skin on.

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacques Pepin Chicken Thighs

o

Hi Sue!

I can't find the post on the CF but I'm pretty sure that this is what you want - linked below on YouTube. It was a Jacques Pepin recipe that is no longer included in his TV broadcasts online. On the YouTube video he is making a complete meal. The chicken starts at about two minutes into the video.

I've made this and it is good, you have to be patient and cook it somewhat slowly as in the video.

I like this, but I like your lemon chicken and pitatoes better!

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacques Pepin pan fried crusty chicken

o
RE: Pan Fried Chicken 2

Oops! Rusty, you had better luck than I finding it here but we were thinking about the same dish.

Wish I could correct my "pitatoes" typo.

L

o
RE: Pan Fried Chicken? ? ?

Looks as though we were searching and posting
At the same time, Lee.

I hadn't seen that video,
So I am glad you posted the link!

How nice it would be if Gardenweb
Would get up to speed,
And allow us to correct errors and typos
After we post!

Rusty

o

We just did those chicken thighs a couple of weeks ago, and they are marvelous. But is it only thighs that work well this way?

o

You can pan fry skinless thighs too, and you don't need a non-stick pan or a lot of oil. Salt and very lightly oil the meat - it is much less fat than the skin would have - and start at medium temp. Place the piece on the pan. The meat will quickly stick to the pan. Leave it alone. After a while (5+ minutes) the meat will brown enough to unstick itself, helped with a little shaking of the pan. Then you can keep cooking and later flip and cook the other side the same way. I go to 160 F internal on supermarket chicken.

o

Thank you so much for the link and the YouTube video. That's the recipe I was trying to remember. I thought it might have been a Wolfgang Puck recipe just because I connected it with a celebrity chef with an accent! I'm going to forward the info to my daughter-in-law and give it a try myself. Also, I'm going to copy the recipe so I don't forget again.

Lee, thanks for the lovely compliment. I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed one of my family recipes. Just plain Greek peasant food, but sometimes it really hits the spot.

o

"pitatoes" I thought that was a great mistake and told myself it was potato flat bread. LOL

o

Sushipup, you need some good fat underneath the skin. It works well with duck breast, but I'm not sure about chicken breast.

o

Yes, that's what I recall. And chicken legs won't work because there is not enough surface area in contact with the pan.

But these are the BEST chicken thighs ever.

o

I'm so glad I watched his video of this recipe 'cause I love chicken thighs - actually, I loved that entire meal!

Couldn't you just watch that lovely man for hours? You can learn so much from him in 15 minutes than you can learn from hours and hours of other cooking shows.

Teresa

o

Since I first posted that, I've made that recipe a few dozen times. Observations: 1. I find I hardly ever bother with the sauce. The thighs are plenty good on their own. 2. While it's tasty with just salt & pepper, you can use whatever herb or spice you want. Chipotle powder is good, as is the Penzey spice mixture 'Arizona Dreaming'. 3. If after 18 minutes the flesh side doesn't look quite done, it's okay to flip the thighs and cook the flesh side for a minute or two. 4. What's really nice is that if you haven't planned for a dinner, you can stop on the way home from work and pick up as many chicken thighs as you want, and have 'fried' chicken in under a half hour.

I wouldn't try it with any other cut but a thigh; the thigh flattens out nicely in the pan when you make those flesh cuts parallel to the bone. What you're doing, from a food-science-geek perspective, is rendering the skin fat and frying the skin side in that fat, while the vapors in the covered skillet are steaming the flesh side.

o

Heck I even learned how to julienne leeks easily. I never thought of folding it in half. Jacques is THE master chef.

o

Heck I even learned how to julienne leeks easily. I never thought of folding it in half. Jacques is THE master chef.

o

Arley, you really have inspired me now. The idea of just picking up a package of thighs and having such a good dinner fairly quickly & easily really intrigues me. Thanks for the additional tips. I especially like the mention of "Arizona Dreaming." That's one of the many salt-free seasonings I order regularly from Penzey's. I've found that nicely seared or browned cuts of meat or chicken don't really require a lot of salt for flavoring, so that helps with sticking to my husband's low sodium requirements.

o

I cook this recipe a lot when I'm in lo-carb mode. No carbs, no batter (but you still have some of the crunchy 'mouthfeel' you associate with fried chicken) and much less fat than regular fried chicken (you'll be amazed at how much fat is left in the skillet), much more flavor than chicken breasts, and you can make it as spicy as you want. BTW, I don't like most premixed spice mixes, but I really like Arizona Dreaming.

o

I bought a package of chicken thighs today, but I've got to finish up the last of the turkey tonight. The chicken will be for dinner tomorrow. I can't wait!

o

OK, I made the thighs last night. The skin came out remarkably crispy. I made a mess however, because I took off the top for a few minutes and the fat spattered all over my cooktop. I was worried that the fleshy side wouldn't be cooked enough. I should have realized that the slits along the bone insured that heat would penetrate and cook the chicken pieces thoroughly.

Arley, I used Arizona Dreaming and no salt for the seasoning. My husband really liked the chicken. In fact, he wanted another piece. But, alas, we only had the four pieces, and we each ate two. I even made the braised brussel sprouts from the video. That was good too.

o

What???You dont want Paula deans recipe on her show tonite.She dipped in egg,put in bag of flour fried in about2-1/2 " of oil ,pan was full????Themore /i see of her the less I like her...

o

Last night I made J. Pepin's chicken recipe listed above. The three thighs I cooked turned out nicely crispy and brown - just like fried chicken. It did feel a little odd to not use any oil or butter in my non-stick pan! But then I felt compelled to make a pan gravy from the juices to put over my stuffing accompaniment....:o)

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here