Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Things Mother Used to Make (1914) recipes

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 13:47

This cookbook goes back even before my Mom was born. But it does have some interesting recipes. I might try making some of them. I love old cookbooks so it was fun looking at this one. And I learned some new things. Did you know "French Toast" use to be called "German Toast"? I think we all know why that name was changed. Kind of like how Dachshund got changed to Dash Hound or Weiner Dog.

It does take awhile for the recipes to download or at least on my computer it did. You can buy a copy on Amazon if you want a paper copy.

Never knew these were called this. My Mom use to do this with leftover pie crust.

Rolley Polys

Ingredients

pie crust
jelly
milk
sugar
Instructions

Roll pie crust very thin and cut into strips four inches long and three inches wide.

Over these spread jelly and lap the crust over, pressing edges together.

Brush over the top with milk and sprinkle over a little sugar.

Bake fifteen minutes.

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Things Mother Used to Make (1914)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Things Mother Used to Make (1914) recipes

I'm confused.....it says the book was published in 1915....yet ther are some recipes in there from a book puplished in 1920.
Is this a remake of an old book? or just a compilation of old recipes and the foreword was written from another book published in 1920?
I often cook from my old Fanny Farmer cookbook published in 1915. many good old no nonsense recipes!

o

From what I read on another site, it was originally published in 1914. What this exact copy is, I don't know. It could be a compilation of many different editions. I am not being paid to promote the book, just thought it was an interesting find. I love old recipes.
Clare

o

My grandmother used to make those with the left over pie crust.

I still make some of her recipes and have some wonderful old cookbooks, including one from Gold Medal Flour, 1923, I found in a Hoosier cabinet I bought.

And of course there's this site, which has an amazing collection of old cookbooks ready to download.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeding America

o

Grandma used to make those with leftover pie crust too, but she just sprinkled hers with cinnamon and sugar and rolled them up.

I don't think she called them anything, and I'm sure she was just too frugal to toss out scraps of pie crust. Now I find that it's a recipe, LOL.

Annie

o

Annie, my aunt used to make them. Forget the rolling. She served them flat. I do it too, and hubs loves it!

o

Hubby's mother made "Rolly Polys", although they didn't have the cute name. You could also make them with wonton wrappers.

The recipes I've been collecting from old cookbooks/pamphlets/booklets are those using fresh or dried bread crumbs, the perfect waste not, want not food item. So far, Bread Crumb Brownies and Bread Crumb Cookies are the going favorites. Griddle cakes was another common recipe made with stale bread crumbs.

I have a WWI (1918) booklet which is pretty interesting - especially all the alternative flour products they used to save using wheat flour for the war effort - pea meal, barley flour, rye flour, cottonseed flour. There was also something called "Red Dog Flour", which was the lowest grade of flour in milling. "It is dark and of little expansive power, is secured largely from the germ or embryo and adjacent parts, and contains a relatively high percentage of protein. It is chiefly useful as feed for farm animals." Ironically, Red Dog Flour was also the flour with the most nutrition....

-Grainlady

o

Grainlady - My parents went through the 1930's Depression and the rationing for WWII and I think it had a lasting effect. My Mom would use every bit of food and never throw anything away if it was still good and not spoiled. (Nothing was ever around long enough to spoil. LOL) The food budget was pretty tight so she had to be creative. She use to make all kinds of alternatives like "Mock Mince or Apple Pie" with crackers and "Mock Cherry Pie" with cranberries. I noticed they had that recipe in this cookbook. I didn't know it went that far back. I thought it was a Depression recipe. When I walk down the grocery isles and see the abundance of food we have to choose from, I wonder what someone from the past would think of all that. I am truly thankful to be living in the present time.
Clare

Mock Mince Pie
1 1/2 crackers (Cups???)
1 cupful of raisins
1/2 cupful of molasses
1/2 cupful of sugar
1/3 cupful of vinegar
1 cupful of steeped tea
1 egg
spices of all kinds (1/2 teaspoonful of each)
Instructions

No instructions given.

o

aptosca-

I bet it's 1-1/2 of the large cracker squares they used to make....

Canadian recipe from 1890.

Mock Mince Pie.
Three soda crackers rolled fine, one cup of cold water, one cup of molasses, one-half cup of brown sugar, one-half cup of sour cider or vinegar, one-half cup of melted butter, one half-cup of raisins, one half-cup of currants, one egg beaten light, one teaspoonful of cinnamon, one-quarter teaspoonful each of cloves, allspice and nutmeg, five apples chopped fine.

I love "MOCK" recipes. If hubby is around when I run across one I'll ask him what's in it - example: recipe for "Mock Chicken-Fried Steaks"? Answer: ground beef, onion salt, parsley flakes, egg, salt, chili powder and cracker crumbs. Or "Mock Cherry Jelly"? Answer: 1/2 gallon green grape juice made form tame grapes, a handful cherry leaves and sugar.

My father's parents were born in 1888 and 1889. They went through WWI (rationing), the "Forgotten Depression" of 1920 (poor econimics), the "Dirty 30's" (poorer economics) and WWII (more rationing). It would seem as though they lived most of their lives during "hard times".

-Grainlady

o

Like Annie's grandma, my grandmother also made those with cinnamon and sugar.

As to mock recipes, I have always wondered why? Why not just enjoy them for what they are instead of trying to change them into someting they are certainly not. But then, why not? Makes me smile.

o

Cool! I love leafing (cyberleafing?) through old cookbooks. I'm not sure I'm on board with this recipe though :-/

http://www.vintagerecipes.net/books/thingsmotherusedtomake/crust_coffee.php

o

rob333 - I think they did it to fool the men in the family. Would you want to eat something called "Mushy Cracker Pie"? LOL! Apples were hard to come by in the winter. We use to store the ones from our tree in a earth floor root cellar. As it got late winter they were pretty shriveled up and not that nice looking. I think my Mom did a combination of dried shriveled apples soaked overnight and the mock cracker filling. We loved any dessert, so ate it up. Not a lot of choices like today.
Clare

o

Things not even my mother would do (but claims HER mother did):

o

I agree - "mock" recipes are what they are... naming them might be the big drawback.

When you get down to it, Mock Apple Pie made with Ritz Crackers has more of a lemon pie flavor than apple. However, the Mock Apple Pie recipe made with slices of zucchini is more like an apple pie, but it's hard to sell Zucchini Pie. As it turns out, EVERYTHING becomes suspect during a bumper zucchini year as it is. A neighbor gave me a jar of Mock Orange/Pineapple Marmalade made with grated zucchini and Jell-O.

Historically, Mock Apple Pie can be traced back to the American Civil War when nearly every food item was in short supply. It was made with soda crackers, but even those have little in common with today's saltine crackers. Heck, even today's saltines are completely different in flavor than those just a few short years ago, as are Nilla Vanilla Wafers and many other food items. So we also have "mock" commercial foods as well (LOL).

The irony about Mock Apple Pie, from the economics perspective apples are less expensive today than Ritz Crackers. I also have "tons" of dehydrated and freeze-dried apples to use and never have Ritz Crackers in the house.

A Mock Apple Pie recipe could be found in the early additions of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook, along with mock Foie Gras, Mock Hollandaise, and Mock Maple Syrup (which is made with boiled potatoes, water, white and brown sugar and aged several days in a dark cupboard).

I purchased some frozen peas so I could make a recipe for Mock Guacamole (Sweet Pea Mockamole - allrecipes.com), but haven't done it yet.

Mock Turtle Soup was made with a calves head instead of a turtle - no further explanation necessary.... ewwwwww (Recipe found in the 1896 Boston Cooking School Cookbook by Fannie Farmer.) So if you start with another cut of beef instead of a calves head, would that make it Mock, Mock Turtle Soup or Twice Mocked Turtle Soup?

There is a Mock Pumpkin Pie recipe made with Grape-Nuts cereal. I assume it was created when Mrs. Housewife couldn't get her children to eat Grape-Nuts. But then, we didn't eat Grape-Nuts until naturalist Euell Gibbons touted them in the 1960's.

Mock Crab Cakes are made with grated zucchini. Mock Tuna Salad is made with garbanzo beans (vegans have a lot of great "mock" recipes). Mock Pecan Pie is made with oatmeal (it's all about that sticky sweet layer anyway - oatmeal works for me at a fraction of the cost of pecans). Mock Chopped Liver made with mushrooms might actually be an improvement. Mock Butterfingers - cornflakes and peanut butter.

-Grainlady

o

Wow Wee! Now I know why people used to hate their vegetables! Was their anything left of asparagus or peas after 1/2 hour of cooking? Spinach 1-2 hours?!!!

Glad things have changed there!

o

Mushy cracker pie. HA! I am busting my gut over that one! Still making me smile.

I do understand mock as an adult, but as a kid, it was only why. I realize how hard times were now that my perspective is a different. One must improvise.

o

One mock recipe I never understood was Mock Strawberry Preserves made with--fresh figs! I'd much rather have fig preserves than figs cooked in strawberry Jell-o :P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here