Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Side dish suggestion

Posted by hostaheaven-618 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:44

Hi!

I'm attending a pot luck luncheon, and I've been assigned to bring a side dish. The hostess is making Shrimp Fettuccini as the main dish and I'm at a loss as to what to bring. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Side dish suggestion

I'd bring a nice spring mix salad! :)

o

I like a non-creamy cabbage salad with seafood. I made this recently and it was very well liked - but the blood oranges weren't available here yet, so I just used fresh mandarins:

Cabbage with Almonds & Blood Orange (serves 4-6)

4 cups savoy cabbage, sliced thin
4 cups purple cabbage, sliced thin
2 blood oranges, peel and pith removed and cut into wedges
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Ginger Vinaigrette

1/2 cup olive oil
1 TBS toasted sesame oil
1 TBS red wine vinegar
1 TBS honey
1 TBS dijon mustard
3/4 tsp ground ginger
zest from 1 blood orange
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl until combined. Set aside.

Combine cabbage, orange slices and toasted almonds in a bowl. Pour dressing on top and toss to coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roost recipe for cabbage salad

o

I love the idea of a salad, but unfortunately someone else has this assignment. I was thinking of some kind of vegetable dish. Sorry I wasn't clear earlier.
Chris

o

Personally, I would want garlic bread/toast or maybe some bruschetta. To make garlic butter for the bread, mash one garlic clove with 4 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp olive oil, and a dash of black pepper. Add a bit of salt only if using unsalted butter. Store leftover butter in the fridge if using right away; otherwise freeze it. I sometimes add fresh oregano or thyme, but I do not add dried herbs to.

The bread/toast would go with the salad as well.

Lars

o

A dish like Shrimp Fettuccine doesn't lend itself easily to sides other than salad...at least in my mind.

However this is a very nice side and I think it would be complimentary without being overwhelming...it's also a but different.

Even though it says serve immediately you can cook the mushrooms in advance, prepare the wine, lemon, garlic place in a jar and just saute off just before serving. I would actually do the whole thing at home and just warm but I haven't done that before.

If you can't find button mushrooms quarter large ones.

Micheal's Best Mushrooms

Servings

6 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 Lb whole small button mushrooms, wiped clean
3 Tbl butter
Gray sea salt ( kosher salt is fine)
1 Tbl minced garlic
1 1/2 Tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
2 Tbl lemon juice
1/2 Cup white wine
1 Tbl chopped parsley leaves

In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms. Do not move the mushrooms until they have caramelized on the bottom. If you toss them too soon, they will release their liquid and begin to steam. When the bottoms are caramelized, toss them and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the butter. Cook and toss for 5 minutes, until beautifully browned.
Season with salt and add the garlic. Saute another 2 minutes, and add the thyme, lemon juice, and white wine. Cook to evaporate the liquid.
Toss in the parsley and serve immediately.

o

Grilled or roasted asparagus, but garlic bread absolutely if it's not assigned.

o

I like ratatouille and it can be served cold or hot. This one that I make sometimes is very easy.

Photobucket

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: ratatouille

o

I'll take Burnt Broccoli as a side with any Italian-American dish. I'd prefer it warmer than room temp, but it doesn't need to be piping hot. Several variations to be found out there, but they're all similar. I cut up some broccoli, leaving more stem that I normally might. Toss with some olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and a small amount of bread crumbs. Roast in a moderately hot oven - I'm thinking on the higher end of that spectrum, like 400-425 will let the tips blacken as desired but keep the rest crisp enough so it can stand a mild reheating without going to mush.

Here's a fuzzy picture, from foodspotting.com, apparently taken from the first place I ever had it.

o

Roasted asparagus. Or broccoli.

o

Broccoli raab or spinach sauteed with garlic with a bit of lemon.

o

I think your choice of a side depends on how the shrimp fettuccine is made....mine is creamy and cheesy. Wouldn't want a creamy slaw with that.
How about some slivered multicolored peppers sauteed in olive oil with a lot of garlic?

o

I'm of the same mindframe as Chase. When I make shrimp pasta I just serve salad and garlic bread along side.

I would lean differently for what you could bring as you say someone else is already bringing a green salad. Why not a fruit type of salad dish?

o

Marinated mushrooms ~ or an Olive tray ~

o

Everyone, I just want to thank you for such great suggestions. I think I'm leaning towards the mushrooms, but that burnt broccoli sounds very interesting. I may just have to make that for another dinner.

Chris

o

How about a squash pudding in a crock pot....

Here is a link that might be useful: squash in crockpot

o

I love stuffed mushrooms before/or served along with a shrimp fett.

o

A simple roasted vegetable platter drizzled with olive oil & fresh herbs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here