Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to POOF some ricotta for dinner (no lasagne!)

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 13:43

I have a ricotta emergency so I am trying to figure out what I can make for dinner to use it up. NO lasagne! We have been eating way too much of that or a variant lately. That's how I ended up with a half eaten quart of ricotta in the first place. Nothing sweet, we just don't go there.

Initially I was going to make my recipe for meatless moussaka, which uses ricotta, but I have never been particularly fond of that recipe. Now I'm wondering about a vegetable kugel using ricotta instead of cottage cheese but I have never made such a thing. I am open to any suggestions for dinner. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to POOF some ricotta for dinner (no lasagne!)

I put the ingredient into Allrecipes just to get an idea, not necessarily a recipe (I won't use one of their's unless many many people have tried it and commented on amounts), and almost everything was lasgna. Or cookies. But there was one interesting one. At least it was different!

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuffed tomato with grits and ricotta

o

I'm at work so I don't have my recipes with me. But you can season the ricotta with fresh garlic,parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and fresh basil. Saute or grill slices of eggplant cut lengthwise. Place filling at one end of eggplant slice and roll. Place in baking dish and top with a well seasoned tomato sauce and bake.

o

Wow, what Ann said sounds wonderful.

E

o

This one of Jessy's is a fav of ours...I cut it in half.

Gnocchi Di Ricotta - Jessy

Servings

3 1/4 Cup of flour
2 eggs
1.5 Lb of ricotta cheese, well drained
1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
-cheese plus extra for sprinkling
pinch of salt & pepper
1 Tsp of olive oil
4 Cup Marinara Sauce

1. Place 3 cups of the flour in a large bowl. Lightly beat the egs with a fork then add them to the flour along with the ricotta, 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients together with your hands to form a dough.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured working surface and knead lightly for 2 to 3 more minutes, gradually adding remaining flour if the dough sticks to the board or your hands. The dough is ready when it no longer sticks but is still somewhat tacky to the touch and soft.
3. Divide the dough into four pieces and roll into balls. Using both hands, roll out each ball of dough into a log about the width of your index finger. Cut each log into 1/2 inch pieces.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a teaspoon of olive oil oil and the gnocchi.
6. Cook, uncovered over high heat until the gnocchi rise to the surface of the water, about 2 to 3 minutes. While the gnocchi are cooking heat the marinara in a large saute pan over medium heat.
7. Remove the gnocchi from the water with a slotted spoon and transfer to the saute pan with the marinara sauce.
8. Toss gnocchi in sauce until coated, then transfer to a caserole dish sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to taste. Bake in oven for 10 minutes and serve.

o

I used to make a pasta salad with fresh pasta of some sort, ricotta, olive oil, toasted walnuts, fresh basil and s&p. I've lost the recipe but it seems simple enough to assemble to taste. Serve warm.

Eileen

o

I have eaten both Eggplant Rollatini as Annie suggested and Gnocchi Di Ricotta. I have made the Gnocchi but not the Rolatini. Both are excellent.

Thanks for reminding me of them, folks. I need to make some. I'm salivating at the thought.

Jim

o

I've had rollatini but with zucchini instead of eggplant. The slices were brushed with a fruity olive oil, grilled and rolled up with seasoned ricotta. That's it, easy peasy.

Secured with a toothpick, they make delicious finger food. They were served as hors d'oeuvres as a gathering.

Cheryl

o

Here is an appetizer recipe that Woodie posted eons ago that is still in my "to try" file. I swear I will get to it someday! LOL

RICOTTA PUFFS

Ingredients:
1\2 cup ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp. snipped parsley
1\2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
1 tsp. oregano
3 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese
1\2 tsp. pepper
1 (17 1\2 oz.) pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
Grated Romano cheese
Milk

Unfold pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut each puff pastry into nine 3" squares; set aside. For filling, in a medium bowl stir together ricotta cheese, sweet pepper, 3 Tbsp. Romano cheese, parsley, oregano, and pepper.
Moisten the edges of each pastry square with milk. Spoon about 2 tsp.

filling onto 1 side of each pastry square. Fold the other side over the filling. Seal, using the tines of a fork. Cut slits in the top of each pastry bundle. Brush with milk; sprinkle with additional Romano cheese.

Arrange pastry on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400" F oven about 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes before serving. Makes 18 pastries.

You could get as creative as you want with this---add crushed garlic, pepperoni bits, mozzarella bits, ANYTHING GOES!
Posted by Woodie 11/06
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You could easily sub ricotta for the herbed cheese and/or cream cheese in this recipe. I made this for a holiday party a couple of years ago and it was a hit!

Roasted Vegetable Tart

1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup bite-size strips red and/or yellow sweet pepper
1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
4 large button mushroom caps, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 2 cups sliced)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
Nonstick cooking spray
1 15-ounce package folded, refrigerated unbaked piecrusts (2 crusts)
1 5-ounce container semi-soft cheese with garlic and herb
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons milk
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large, shallow baking pan, combine zucchini slices, sweet pepper strips, onion wedges, and mushroom slices. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Toss to coat. Bake uncovered, in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until tender, stirring once halfway through baking time.

2. Meanwhile, cook artichoke hearts according to package directions; drain. Halve any large artichokes; stir into roasted vegetable mixture. Set aside.

3. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Unfold piecrusts according to package directions. Place each piecrust on a prepared baking sheet.

4. In a large bowl, beat semi-soft cheese with garlic and herb and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread half of the cheese mixture over the center of each piecrust, leaving a 2-inch border. Evenly divide the vegetable mixture between the piecrusts. Fold piecrust edges partially over the filling, pleating as necessary. Brush edges with milk; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

5. Bake in the 400 degrees oven about 20 minutes or until golden. Let stand on baking sheets on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve. Serve warm.

6. Makes 2 tarts (16 appetizer servings)
To Make Ahead: Prepare roasted vegetables as directed through Step 2. Cover and store vegetables in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To use, prepare and bake tarts as directed in steps 3, 4, and 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I found this site that has some tasty looking recipes....with photos, a bonus! I have a small container of ricotta in my fridge, might try a new recipe myself!

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken and Ricotta recipes

o

Migrane hit, will have to make for dinner tommorrow.
I think I can get at least 2 small meals out of what I have.
YUMMO
Thanks muchly!

o

Ricotta cheesecake! And I hope it is homemade ricotta too.

o

The first thing that came to mind was one of those Italian Easter pies. Here's a link to one DD has made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Torta

o

Oh wow Sharon thanks for the reminder about that gnocchi recipe LOL. It was a keeper!

Feel better lpink, I hate those headaches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here