Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Weird Food Combinations?

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 13:42

My 4 year old introduced me to boxed mac and cheese with ketchup...it's really good:)

Growing up I had a cousin in Michigan who ate peanut butter and pickle sandwiches - they were pretty good - lol.

My mother always had her pork chops with mayonnaise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Weird Food Combinations?

I used to add grated Parmesan cheese to my boxed mac and cheese. My friend used to always complain on how it stunk! LOL

I like to add about 1/2 cup of salsa to my homemade mac and cheese.

I don't eat sandwiches. When I was young, I didn't want to be left out because all the other kids ate sandwiches so my mother would sometimes make me a caramel and honey sandwich. It would get all soaked up in the bread. Gross! I don't know how I ate that!

o

I love bacon & american cheese sandwich on white bread not toasted with Ketchup and I love to dip my grill cheese in ketchup... and I have to drink milk with Pizza and Speghetti thats about as crazy as I get LOL!!!

o

DD taught us kids to put Miracle Whip on mashed potatoes, my kids now do the same. Of course peanut butter and banana sandwhiches. I love to melt a piece of cheddar cheese on apple pie. Kids always dip their pizza in ranch dressing and ketchup is good on about anything.
*Note - DH can't stand any of this

o

Easy, mine favorite is peanut butter and Miracle Whip on white bread.

My kids go "ewww" as they are dunking pizza into ranch dressing and dipping fries into chocolate shakes. Go figure.

Annie

o

Eileen, I always have milk with my spaghetti or pizza also. Pop just doesn't seem to go with it to me. I guess my oddest is I love swiss cheese and sourkraut with a hot dog.

o

All I can say is thank goodness Annie didn't post about Ashley's creamed corn, sauerkraut and mashed potato concoction, ugh.

o
Combinations?

I like toasted fried potato sandwich (with paprika, salt, and pepper), and toasted bacon and Cheesewhiz sandwich. The only two sandwiches I do like!

o

Woodie, is that actually "weird" or just disgusting? LOL

I could even post a picture of it, if you really want me to.....

Annie

o

I like to dunk pizza into french dressing, with a milk chaser.

Nancy

o

I have to have butter UNDER my cream cheese on a bagel or English muffin! I can blame that on my mom. Can I blame her for me being overweight, too?

o

How about Mayo on a hot dog? My ex grandmother in law did that. Grape jelly on liverwurst sandwich? A friend did that. I dont think I have any weird food combos. Except ketchup and mayo mixed up to dip my french fries in. I dont think that's so strange though.

o

Mayo and Flo's Special Hot sauce and sprinkled with celery salt is the "old timers" way to eat a Flo's Hot Dog. I love them that way!

When dinner is almost done I like to mix the last few bites of peas (or corn) into my mashed potatoes, but I do not know if that is weird or not LOL! Not too many other really odd combos for me - but again, there isn't a lot I don't like so maybe I just don't think it is odd LOLOLOL!

Alexa

o

dipping fries into chocolate shakes YUM!
wierd? ahem...chocolate pretzels

Ok gotta admit I wigged when I found out cocktail meatballs were in grape jelly and chili sauce. I love those lil suckers!

I still gag when I make 'em though

o

Just because Woodie reminded me, Ashley's favorite meal is mashed potatoes covered with creamed corn and sauerkraut. MMMMMMMM. Ahem.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Annie

o

Sauerkraut with anything seems weird to me! Maybe ketchup would help it.

When I was a child, I was ousted for putting ketchup on eggs. From what I hear, it's not that uncommon. Cinnamon on turkey was a weird combination, but that was a mistake. Ranch dressing and sweet and sour sauce on fries. Ranch dressing on pepperoni pizza. I LOVE steak sandwiches on white bread with ketchup and lemon pepper... wow that's good!

o

Oh, how fun! I read these and realized I am not the only weird one, especially since I have some really strange combos!
McD's apple pie (back when they still fried them) with ketchup.
Grilled cheese with lots of yellow mustard and ketchup.
When I was a kid, my dad made us liverworst and jelly sandwiches, sometimes liverworst, cream cheese and strawberry...they were my favourite. My boyfriend thought I was joking until he asked my brother earlier this month..."oh, I remember those" he said!
And, what I think is the strangest, my boyfriend's mom loves peanut butter and spanish onion sandwiches, with the onion slices about half an inch thick and raw!!
funny, I also did the mac 'n' cheese with parmesean and the ketchup on eggs.
And, one more memory coming in, when I was little, I would eat onions like apples. Ick!

o

When I was a kid I loved canned string beans with ketchup, but not any more! I can't think of anything too weird that I like these days! I can't drink milk at all with a meal except for a tuna or a grilled cheese sandwich! I love mayo on a bologna sandwich on white bread, seems to gross out some of my family!

and I remember Beanthere_dunthat had once posted about a weird combination she really liked, I think it was mustard and mayo? on crackers or something? I made it just to see if I could eat it, I couldn't, LOL!

Annie, I think I like Ashley's other favorite meals, LOL! ACK!

o

Ketchup on eggs is weird? Eating an egg without ketchup now that's weird!!! But above all else you gotta get that white yucky thing out!

o

I like to eat creamed corn over crushed saltine crackers. I guess it is kind of like lazy scalloped corn, which I love.

I like to dip shredded wheat biscuits quickly on each side in milk...then fry in some butter till crispy...add some butter, peanut butter and syrup. No calories or fat there.

I am not big on sandwiches...but when I was younger I used to like bologna, peanut butter, miracle whip and cheese sandwiches.

I have others...but I will have to think of them.

o

Maryland tomato,chunky peanut butter,seasoned salt on white toast. But not since I was a kid.

o

Hot buttered, salted popcorn IN a glass of cold milk, eat with a spoon. You would be amazed at how much you can cram in a glass, it's a lot like eating some kind of popped cereal but better. My Mom passed this down to my but my kids and everybody thinks it's definately wierd.

o

Nothing tastier than a pile of mashed potatoes, corn, and cucumbers in a sour cream dressing all mixed together.
My hubby can't even look at it........

Barb

o

Saltines smeared with margarine. Yes, I said margarine.

o

I like fried eggs with Worcestershire sauce - between two buttered slices of bread.

My gardening friend likes to spread vegemite on buttered toast, THEN jam over the top of that. Usually fig jam.

I like condensed milk on toast.

I like Worcestershire sauce on my hot chips (fries), too. Or vinegar.

But I don't think my tastes are weird at all. It's everybody else's tastes which are weird! Tee-hee.

o

Peanut butter and Miracle Whip crackers. Miracle Whip on my pintos and cornbread. Miracle Whip on my butter beans and cornbread. I see a pattern here.

o

horseradish sauce on homemade mac and cheese

o

Barnmom, We would do the margarine on saltine crackers here, we started doing that growing up when we would have soup. I have to dip my grilled cheese sandwich in my chicken noodle soup on cold days. Try adding a couple of dill pickle chips to your grilled cheese sandwich, adds a good bite. DH wonders about me when I add salt to grapefruit halves instead of sugar, another one that we got from mom growing up.

Mom always said that her friends would tease her that they would always be able to tell her children by the kids that dipped their toast into the runny part of sunny side up eggs. My siblings all do this, me have to have my eggs scrambled.

Stacie

o

Daisy, I've always been curious about Vegemite. Never tasted it.

What's funny to me is how many people add ketchup to things. When I was a kid, we always put it in our chicken soup.

Now I think the strangest combos I like are peas & sour cream (tons of it) and peanut butter on apples, but I think that's more common than I realized.

o

Ashley wins:D

o

Caliloo: Peas and corn mixed with mashed potatoes is not weird, it's practical! Much easier to eat the p & c when there's something to keep it from falling off your fork.

When I was a kid hundreds of years ago I used to eat hot dogs with elderberry jelly (or anything similar) on them.

Still eat hamburgers with peanut butter melted on and sweet pickle relish on top of that.

Don't knock it till you've tried it!

o

I have never cared for ketchup, but like tomatoes .. go figure :)

I used to eat sardines with raw onion and mustard on saltines. The only "weird" (now) food that I ate growing up was pickled pigs feet, my mom bought them in a jar and for some reason I liked them. I think I would gag now just looking at them .. LOL !

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are still a favorite.

o

I have a few.
Peanut butter and bacon with miracle whip- sometimes with swiss, except the Miracle whip goes on both sides of the bread and it gets fried.
Limberger, onion, and tomato sandwiches - now this one is a breath freshener.
Sausage, cheese, caramelized onions, and dried apricots pizza.
And of course my peanut butter hot wings.

aug

o

Give me the Miracle Whip on white bread but leave off the peanut butter please... lol

My Mon used to put butter or oleo under everything on a sandwich, even peanut butter...

Hubby once made scrambled eggs with Vernor's Ginger Ale and sauerkraut... That got him banned from cooking in MY kitchen... lol

I'm not crazy about ketchup either and just seeing it on runny eggs does a number on my tummy... But dipping buttered toast in egg yokes is the only way to eat them.... lol

Strangest thing I've eaten is sugar sandwiches... Take a piece of white bread, sprinkle on a little water and coat with sugar...

Rita

o

okay, not a combination but definitely WEIRD!

My little sister used to (probably still does) stick a straw in a pickle and suck the juice out...ewwwww.

o

.....sugar sandwiches

That isn't weird, we ate them as children. My kids made them too, on their own ... guess it is a "kid thing" ?

We used to stick a candy cane inside a lemon and suck on it ... yummy !

o

"I eat my peas with Honey,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
but it keeps them on my knife."

Just a poem I remember from my childhood that seemed to apply.

I had an idea or two when this thread started, but have decided that none of mine qualify next to yours! ;^)

o

There are so weird foods here...I have tried and tried to eat Sauerkraut but I just can't eat it.....
We use to make sugar sandwiches when I was young too!!!!(brown sugar) and I took creamy peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches to school too!!!!! LOL

Linda

o

LOL! Carol, you outted me!
It's peanut butter and mustard sandwiches with saltines in the middle. I still get a craving for those about once a year.

And, yes, I put mayo on hotdogs (but NEVER eat Miracle Whip -- can't stand it.) In NC we put slaw on hotdogs. People think it's weird, but I don't see it as an weirder than putting suerkraut on one.

o

When I was in college, eons ago, I saw lots of people put French salad dressing on cottage cheese. It grossed me out then, and still does. Was this a regional thing?

o

I occasionally crave a PB, dill pickle and butter sandwich.
I eat candy corn and cashews mixed together as a snack (once a year).
I like BBQ sauce in mac 'n cheese.
I can put maple syrup over an entire breakfast buffet... and I'm not even that crazy about maple. It's just good with bacon, sausage and eggs. Prefer jam on pancakes.
When I was in high school, a friend and I used to make a cup of tea and have a dill pickle with it.
Good thread!
Deanna

o

The peanut butter and pickles are even better with a chunk (or slice) of cheddar cheese on top!

My dad used to eat Miracle Whip on saltines (Well, he started all of us kids on them! And I still eat it that way on occasion!). He told me that when MW first came out that they had to put it on something when offering samples in the stores to get you to buy it...

Anyone for a bowl of peanut butter and sugar? lol We used to do that combo a lot when I was growing up!
Cathy

o

Now I know why I have been avoiding this thread!

There are some courageous posters on this topic.

o

Don't know if it's the food or me that's weird but I love:

butter,sugar & mustard sandwiches
baked beans, ketchup sandwich
a "hunk" of cold leftover bread dressing out of the frig
brown sugar on my sauerkraut
gravy on french fries
mashed carrots & parsnips
homefries cooked in scrambled eggs-- with just a tad of ketchup added at the table

o

Cantaloupe slices topped with salt, lime juice, chili powder and feta cheese. Delicious!

o

Bean, in my book, you win, that was the weirdest combo I have ever tasted, LOL! and your seven year rule just won't work with that combo for me :)

Diane, french fries and gravy is the best! Love that!

Deanna, maple syrup all over the bacon or sausage and eggs (over easy)is a favorite, have to dip the buttered toast in, too! There is no other way to eat it :)

o

Grilled cheese & marshmallow sandwich - must use real marshmallows, not marshmallow fluff.

Peanut butter and sugar sandwich.

Scrambled eggs, homemade sauteed potatoes, extremely caramelized onions and BBQ sauce. Must mix all together.

Tzitzel rye, cold unsalted butter and swiss cheese.

I used to eat NY strip extra rare with a side of sour cream to slather on every bite. Oddly enough, I now work with someone who eats steak with sour cream - I thought I was the only one ;)

OK, this isn't a combo, but it is weird. When I was a kid, there was a pet store up the street and we liked to go in there to look at all the birds, hamsters, fish, etc. We especially liked to drop stuff into the tank of piranhas. Seriously, they had a tank with 4 of them! We determined that bubblegum and Milk Duds really p'd them off ;) But I digress. They had a huge barrel of Milkbones by the entry, and I'd eat one for a quarter. hehe.

o

OhioMom...we used to stick the soft peppermint stick in oranges and suck the juice out. I will have to try the lemon!! Yum!

I have seem some combinations here that I would try...gonna print this out. LOL

o

Ohiomom, my boss says she used to stick a peppermint stick in an orange to get the juice, but it only worked if you rolled the orange on the counter first to make it juicy. I never thought of combining orange and peppermint and I'm still not sure I want to think about it, LOL.

Diane, I thought I was the only person in the world that ate baked bean sandwiches, and my mother cooks the sauerkraut with the brown sugar right in it. I never knew it was weird until now!

Annie

o

When we were young my GM would crush up Saltine crackers and pour syrup over the crackers. She would pass that off as 'Cracker Jacks' without the prize! Heh heh!

Great thread! Some of your post are bringing up memories.

o

From mother:
A sandwich made with salt pork from a pot of beans, slathered on toasted bread with sugar and ketchup.

From father:
A beer and a chocolate bar and sometimes a dill pickle with it.

And my son likes OJ and milk mixed together. YUCK!

o

When I was younger, I'd take a slice of bread, spread it with creamy peanut butter, pour syrup on it, and warm it up. Easy pancakes.

I used to love liverwurst sandwiches, but since I'm the only one who eats it anymore I don't buy it because it goes bad too fast.

Bologna sandwiches on white bread with margarine are great, haven't eaten that in a while either.

Lately I've been keeping a bowl of spinach sauteed with garlic and onion and mixed with cream cheese in the refrigerator. It goes on almost everything. I mix it in soups, scrambled eggs, or eat it like sandwich spread. The weirdest way I've eaten it was warmed up and put on a hot dog.

I've also taken to making this sweet sauce and dipping tons of stuff into it. There are two variations--one is more of a glaze, with tomato sauce, tomato juice, brown sugar, dried mustard, and vinegar. Boil it down until it's thickened, it's so good. The other is ketchup, salsa, and honey. I first saw that one used as a sauce for chicken, but it's awesome used for sandwich dipping.

DH and I often eat grilled cheese and jelly sandwiches--our favorite is mozzarella and strawberry jelly, although smoked gouda is very tasty, but usually out of our price range. One day DH got the idea to do banana and grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids. For some reason they ate them. He swears there was no banana on mine, but I took a bite and spit it out. It tastes about like you'd think it tastes--disgusting.

o

DH used to mention a chain in Cal that did burgers with peanut butter. I'd think it would be awfully messy.

Peanut butter on apples is weird? Peanut butter and banana sandwiches is weird? Don't tell anyone I grew up with. We all ate that. Now DH does inform me that banana and mayo sandwiches are weird. I tell him he doesn't have to eat one. (He hates mayo anyway.)

Moosemac, my sister would always want an ice cream sandwich with a beer. Dad finally tried it and said, "Not awful at all." I never got up the nerve.

Anything mom cooked was a "weird" combination. But the sardine, saurkruat, onion and cream cheese sandwiches -- well, I had to leave the house when she settled into one of those. ewww.

o

My husband and son think my favorite childhood meal is weird and refuse to try it. My dad was Czech and we used to make what he called Byrd. You took a hunk of dill pickle, wrapped a piece of thin sliced round steak around it, then wrapped a 1/4 slice of bacon around that. Fry til brown, add water and braise til tender, add a cup of sour cream and some paprika and heat til warmed, serve over rice. It is delicious. I don't think it weird.

Of course, there is my MILs favorite way to eat cottage cheese, with french dressing and worcestershire sauce, now that's weird. My son used to put ketchup on everything, including watermelon! Eggs with ketchup, I think 75% of the people I know do that. But, the daughter of my friend pushes all her breakfast foods together (eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, pancakes) then puts ketchup on top, and tops it all with maple syrup! They told her if she does that in a restaurant she has to sit at a different table. I also know several people who put grape jelly on Egg McMuffins! And a friend loves beer and chocolate chip cookies (but I think he likes beer with anything!).

o

I actually agree with Ashley's concoction - looks good!

I can't get my brain around PB and miracle whip, though Annie...ew.

scrambled egggs, ginger ale and sauerkraut????? another ew.

McD's apple pie with KETCHUP - double ew!

Milkbones Weed - lol. Scott smells Sammy's treat every morning before he gives it to her...he says they smell so good. He'd probably eat one for a quarter. Heck, he probably already has...

But marshmallows and grilled cheese? Pass me the milk bones please. :-)

I love buttered toast dipped in chocolate milk for breakfast...so does Will.

I'm another who likes cold baked bean sandwiches. Just butter on mine, please.

Stacy

o

a Hawaiian favorite, breakfast,lunch or dinner
a loco moco: a mound of rice with hamburger patty on top,then a sunnyside up egg or over easy egg then brown gravy all over

o

MY GRANDMOTHER USED TO PUT SALT & PEPPER ON HER PANCAKES. NO SYRUP, JUST SALT & PEPPER. YUCK !!!! DIANA55

o

Peanutbutter Pizza was a staple growing up (the local pizza place served it). I didn't know it was weird until I went to college . . .but I learned to make it and I've converted a lot of naysayers since! (crust, peanutbutter, then sauce then cheese). Yummm!

We always have A-1 sauce on the mac & cheese.

Apple, Nuteena & walnut sandwiches (very odd, but somehow tasty).

I think that's as weird as we get over here.

o

My mom used to make a variation of Waldorf salad with apples, bananas and chopped peanuts, dressed with mayonnaise, peanut butter and honey. Sounds gross, but really good. You may have to thin the dressing with a little milk.

o

I think a mystery has just been solved. That Czech pickle combo? My SIl makes something she calls Pickle F-can't use that word here. It's a dill pickle with cream cheese and a slice of roast beef wrapped around it. She got me to eat one, once, and never again. However, I wonder if it was inpsired by what you describe. Oddly enough, I'd try the cooked version. I might not love it, but I'd be willing to try it. The raw one, though....no, never again.

I can't eat cottage cheese regardless of what is on it. It's a texture thing.

o

My favorite sandwich is considered weird by lots of people, even though it has it's own name : Monte Cristo

The first time DSW saw me make and consume one, he thought I was a big time weirdo, as he had never heard of them. LOL

I have to admit I do tweak mine a bit, though. I use whole grain bread, sliced turkey, and I prefer havarti cheese, but I do use swiss when we have it. (The only cheese I don't like on a M.C. is cheddar, LOL) Of course I dip it in egg, then grill it. I love it with elderberry jelly. :)

I like graham crackers crumbled over my ice cream.

o

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes to dip their French fries in their milkshake. I never knew anyone else to do it until now. I like to eat my hot dogs on a roll smothered in BBQ beans (no mustard, no ketchup, no relish, but using the beans as a condiment). I don't think its weird, but DH does.

o

I don't think there is anything weird about dipping fries in a shake, it's delicious! Esp. chocolate. I used to dip my fries in sherbet when I was a kid. I loved going to Cock Robins for a burger, fries, and a sherbet cone.

I don't think I would want to eat the cold pickle, cream cheese, roast beef combo. When you cook the pickle, steak and bacon together the flavors kind of meld together. The meat has a bit of dill and garlic flavor and the pickle gets a bit of a meaty flavor. But you have to use a good quality deli pickle, not the cheap jar kind. We used to go to the deli and get two from the barrel, one to eat and one for the Byrd. I don't even know if you can get those good kosher dills from the deli anymore. Has anyone seen them?

o

Oh, I forgot about the pregnancy cravings! LOL Cheddar cheese Doritos and red grapes, or if I didn't have grapes,I'd dip the Doritos in grape jelly. Chicken nuggets *homemade, not the icky store kind* dipped in applesauce. Apples dipped in peanut butter and honey that have been whipped together.

o

Dill Pickle juice in spaghetti sauce.

toasted marshmallows between potato chips with a piece of Hershey bar in between! Once in six blue moons now, but mmmmm good!

The kids dip their grilled cheese sandwiches in ranch dressing. In fact, DS puts ranch dressing on just about everything.

o

How about cottage cheese on bread topped with dark karo syrup! Also-- girlsingardens-- I LOVE dip eggs!! It is the only way to eat a fried egg. Have toast and dip it in the egg yolk which should still be liquid.

o

From Jungle Jims in Orlando: (from the burger menu)

PEANUT BUTTER BET
Smothered with hot peanut butter, bacon, cheddar, dill chips,
tomato, iceberg and mayo. We bet youll like it, or well buy it!
Beef 9.55 Chicken 9.36 Gardenburger 9.06

I never took them up on their offer, but obviously, this combo has its fans. The only weird thing I like is balsamic vinegar on my strawberries. But I am told that is not so wierd.
Jo

o

I just saw this too. Here's the original thread. I don't have any weird food combos that I can think of, and so I didn't post any.

Lars

o

White bread spread with soft butter, then sprinkle sugar over it. Colored sugar looks best!
Chicken nuggets dipped in ketchup.
Peanut butter on graham crackers.
Link sausage with maple syrup.
I'm getting hungry.

o

One favorite way to eat pork chops is to sprinkle them with lots of cinnamon then pan fry. They are delicious and the cinnamon has a wonderful taste. I don't use other seasonings other than salt and pepper. And no sugar.

o

Maggie, I must be your cousin from Michigan. I LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches.

Annie, my mother used to make me eat peanut butter and miracle whip too . . All I can say is BLECH!

o

I had a roomie who ate eggs over easy fried in bacon grease sprinkled with Jello powder. It was the oddest thing I ever saw anyone eat.

o

Coconut cake with crisp strips of bacon on the side, for breakfast. But then, anything with bacon is delish!

Chocolates & red wine.

Vinegar based BBQ sauce on rice.

o

Caliloo wrote:

When dinner is almost done I like to mix the last few bites of peas (or corn) into my mashed potatoes, but I do not know if that is weird or not LOL!

You wait that long?? Gosh, if I have mashed potatoes and either peas or corn, it is an automatic blend...if there's gravy to pour over, all the better. Not weird, tasty. :D

Annie1992 wrote:

Just because Woodie reminded me, Ashley's favorite meal is mashed potatoes covered with creamed corn and sauerkraut. MMMMMMMM. Ahem.

Ahem what? Sounds good to me!

Chase wrote:

But above all else you gotta get that white yucky thing out!

YES! That white yucky thing makes my skin crawl!

Weed30 wrote:

Grilled cheese & marshmallow sandwich - must use real marshmallows, not marshmallow fluff.

Oh no, he/she (sorry, I don't know) didn't write that!:P Yagggg!

As for me...I love kimchee with scrambled eggs and rice for breakfast. Kimchee (for those of you not familiar with it) is Napa cabbage, fermented with lots of garlic, chili peppers, ginger & green onions. It is, to be polite, aromatic.

I drink pickle juice. Not by the tumbler full, just a sneaked sip here and there when nobody's looking.

Oh, I can't remember who wrote about Monte Cristo sandwiches, but do try them with marmalade...mmmmm.

I like to peel a very cold cucumber, poke a chopstick into it to create a tunnel the length of the cuke and fill that with lemon juice. Then, a mixture of cayenne and salt is sprinkled for each bite. Very good snack in hot weather.

I know it's adding insult to injury in terms of salt content, but I must have a good, crispy dill pickle with pizza. I worked in a pizza parlour as a kid, that had those big kosher dills in a bucket to cut into spears with the sandwiches. I developed the taste then.

o

I'm another who loved dill pickle & peanut butter sandwiches as a kid. And I used to eat brown sugar & butter sandwiches, as well as peanut butter and golden syrup sandwiches on brown bread.

While in First Grade I was introduced to slices of apple with salt on them. One of the girls would bring that most days for her recess snack. I never liked them that way though.

In Holland it's common to serve french fries with mayonnaise for dipping.

And I used to eat scrambled eggs with jam on top. I still like them with pepper and ketchup.

J.Crowley the Czech steak roll sounds very much like the "rindsroulade" that we get in the Austrian restaurant. It's a thin slice of steak wrapped around a slice of carrot, bacon and a dill pickle. Cooked and served with gravy and spaetzle. I just had some on Saturday last week.
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

SharonCb

o

Ketchup with anything isn't weird. It's normal to our family. Mixed in with homemade Mac & cheese, over eggs in the morning or on your cheesy toast, mmmmmmmm. The only thing I can think of that people would probably look at as a weird combo is I like Ruffle potato chips with Plochmann's yellow mustard. Fries are also good with it. Almost like a spicy dip. NancyLouise

o

I can't believe that I never responded to this thread! Oh yeah, fries dipped in a chocolate milkshake are definitely the way to go. Actually I'm a big fan of sweet with salt. Potato chips alternated with bites of a chocolate bar (my pancreas is cringing just thinking about that), bacon or sausage dipped in syrup.

My husband is one for coming up with odd, yet tasty combinations. The one that springs to mind is oatmeal with parmesean cheese.

Nina

o

Fries dipped in a milkshake...oh yes. Did this all the time until I was about 30 yrs old.

As kids, my brother and I would take a handful of potato chips and put them on any kind of sandwich...crunch it down with the top piece of bread. Yum. Haven't done this in years, but it's still appealing in my own mind.

My brother and I also used to make cereal sandwiches. Buttered white bread with cereal. Sugary cereal was the best. When I was a teenager & saw the girl (Ally Sheedy) doing this in the movie "The Breakfast Club", I was relieved to learn this was not that far out.

o

I like a baked bean sandwich with yellow mustard on it.

My mother puts salt on her melons. Eeeeewwwwwww...

Bologna sandwich, miracle whip, potato chips, white wonder bread.

Oatmeal (steel cut or original long cooking best here) made thick and hot, then a big scoop of butter pecan or pralines and cream ice cream scooped over it and mixed in. My favorite.

Burned to almost black toast with scads of cold butter ground in and eaten. Sadly, a favorite.

o

I use to have to have ketchup on my eggs or I wouldn't eat them. I like PB and bacon on sour dough toast. I also liked butter on saltines for a lunch. Blue cheese and apples is also a favorite. And always must have Vermont cheddar cheese melted on apple pie. Jar spag sauce on mac and cheese is a great combination.

DH swears sauerkraut juice is a cure for a hangover. He would always have a sauerkraut swiss cheese omlet the morning after in his younger days.
Clare

o

If you're trying to diet, read this thread. It'll take your appetite away for sure!

o

Disneyginger wrote:

Oatmeal (steel cut or original long cooking best here) made thick and hot, then a big scoop of butter pecan or pralines and cream ice cream scooped over it and mixed in. My favorite.

My husband and I both think that sounds delicious, not weird at all!

o

I love half an avocado sprinkled with lime juice and filled with chili sauce. My mom introduced this to me when I was a kid and I've been eating it ever since!

My dad used to fry hamburgers in a pan, then take some white bread and soak up the hamburger grease and fry it till the bread was crispy. My mom nearly had a heart attack everytime she saw him feeding us this, but boy, was it tasty! The three of us kids would fight over it!

Nancy

o

Peanut butter and tuna sandwiches. yuuuummmmm

Lisa

o

Not weird, just unusual, but I love grapefruit and banana. I was raised eating grapefruit out of the halves with sugar and maraschino cherry juice on top, but my friend from New Zealand introduced me to grapefruit scooped into a bowl with banana slices. It's a much healthier way to sweeten it, and my dog likes it too.

I also like grapefruit with simple syrup that's had a lavender branch steeped in it. You can make this into a martini by substituting Absolut Ruby Red for the grapefruit. ;-)

By the way, this thread is now advertised in the Gardenweb header, and they have quoted 12 of you guys with pictures of the ingredients you mention.
http://slideshow.ivillage.com/food/weird_food_combinations/?ice=gw:fd:1

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: slideshow of weird food combinations

o

molasses on cottage cheese -- yum

o

ginger, I LIKE baked bean sandwiches, I"ve eaten those since I was a child and I never thought it was weird at all. Hmmmm....

Annie

o

What the heck else would one do with the leftover baked beans? You can only reheat them so many times before they turn into sweet bean sludge.

Home made baked bean sandwiches on toasted bread with mustard or ketchup (it's a mood thing) and home made sweet relish. Yum!

Now Lisa...peanut butter and tuna sandwiches? Argh! Not without a gun to my head! :0

Nancy, I've never tried the avocado with chili sauce, but have filled the center with salad dressing or when I'm feeling reckless, sour cream.

The first time in my life that I ever ate an avocado was when I was about 9 years old. A friend told me he'd found a great new kind of fruit tree (we knew where all the trees in the neighborhood were...and raided them all). We sat in this unsuspecting home owner's huge avocado tree for the better part of the afternoon, peeling them with our teeth and slurping up one rich, oily, green "fruit" after another...throwing the pits out onto the sidewalk to startle passers by, completely hidden by the avocado tree's thick foliage. Yes, I was a bit of a tom boy terror child.

That night, I felt so peculiar in an ill sort of way. We didn't eat much rich food in my home, so I guess that a dozen or so avocados really ran riot with my system. Gosh they were good though. I didn't learn what they were for another 3 or 4 years when I had guacamole at a party and had a violent case of Deja Vu. :D

o

I like my french fires with tarter sauce.
My daughter likes to put chocolate chips on her pizza.

o

The talk of baked bean sandwiches is making me nostalgic. My mother's baked beans were not the runny kind so they worked well for that. I even had them in my lunch box on my summer job. They were joked about a bit, so maybe qualified as wierd, but not THAT wierd.

Other good sandwiches:

Scrambled egg on soft white bread with a little ketchup. So tender you can eat it without your dentures, just gum it as we used to say.

Peanut butter on whole wheat with a slab of onion (yes, another vote for that) and some spicy mustard.

Jim

o

Oh gosh i hadn't thought about baked bean sandwiches in a long time. My mom would make them on nights when Dad would not be home for dinner. She put Campbell's baked beans on a piece of toast, then put bacon on top and ran them under the broiler. We loved it! I'm sure almost all the bacon grease melted down into the beans. Artery clogging deliousness.

o

When I was a teenager, I loved to eat american cheese on white bread with lots of mayo and dill pickles.

My mom used to eat Italian hard salami with a ton of mayo on white bread. We never understood how anyone could add mayo to such a fatty meat....she would drool over it!

o

Too many things to mention ... french toast with mustard/ketchup, grated cheese and chopped onions to begin with (well, w/o any cinnamon etc.)

I also recently discovered hummus makes great spread for sandwiches, and much healthier than mayo!

o

Ladies, you need help, LOL!

You knock me for liking "Chicken Feet" in soup!! WOW!

I have some cousins (south hill Virginia) that like fried banana and peanut butter sandwiches, actually they aren't bad, they have them like most people would have a Bologna and cheese sandwich.
Sorry, I'll go with a BLT, tuna fish, grilled cheese, or whatever! But then a fried egg/sausage/cheese/Mayo can be darn enticing sometimes!!
Then there is leftover cold pork chop with fresh bread, hell I'm stopping right here, I know when to leave well enough alone, these are normal sandwiches right, come on guys, tell me they are normal!

However, I do respect your culinary expertise in describing some of the "off the beaten path" things you like, in fact there are a couple I tend to try!
Now if I can just get you guys into chicken feet!!!!

o

My late dh would drizzle ketchup on his bowl of my homemade split pea soup...I always thought it was funky...-maria

o

I packed a Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese sandwich for my lunch today...on thin sliced sourdough with mayo and slices of dill pickled garlic. Yum.

When I was a kid, one of the comfort foods when sick was saltine crackers, broken up in a bowl, with milk poured over it. Sort of a cereal, I suppose. I get a yen for it about every 5 years or so.

I must have sliced cukes, sprinkled with salt, as a side when having spaghetti with marinara or meat sauce. I got that one from my stepmother.

o

I adore sharp cheddar cheese and pickle sandwiches with mayo! I didn't think that was weird? I like my bread slightly toasted too! And the more garlic in the pickle recipe, the better! I will slice the big ones and just lay them on!

Would saltines loaded with cottage cheese and strawberry jam be a weird food combo? I love eating my crackers that way and often have them for dinner when it is getting late and I haven't eaten yet!

And, would big thick slices of Braunschweiger and thin sliced red onion on toasted rye that has lots of butter or in case no butter, some mayo, so would that be a weird food combo? LOVE that sandwich. But, I thought it was normal.

My daughter and my niece have to have malted milk balls mixed in with their hot popcorn at the movies, like in the same tub! Makes my stomach crawl and itch at the same time when they eat it.. gag.

o

I like cold pork n beans with mayo mixed in.
My favorite sandwich is pineapple and cheese with mayo on white bread.
I like to dip my pizza in thousand island dressing, and I like tater sauce on my french fries.
Oh, of course ketchup in pinto beans.

o

i love bbq sause with chips.they tast so good you have to try them befor you die!!!!!!:p

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here