Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
expired evaporated milk

Posted by plantmaven (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 24, 10 at 13:34

I accidently used a can of evap that was 4 years expired. It was/is in pumpkin pie.
I realized my error when I poured it and the first liquid out of the can was carmel colored.

Am I going to poison my guests?

Why did I have thart old of a can? I was using it to hold up a shelf.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: expired evaporated milk

If the can was not pierced or otherwise compromised you will be fine. The quality may diminish but it will still be safe. You're not going to poison anyone.

Carol

o

Thanks! It was intact.

Kathy

o

I agree, it's safe indefinitely, but the quality may leave something to be desired.

Let us know how the pie was!

Annie

o

Personally, once I saw that the milk had changed colour and noticed the expiration date, I wouldn't have continued.

Even if I wasn't concerned about it having gone bad, I would be concerned about the quality of the finished produce. Not something I would serve to my family or to guests.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that your pie tastes great.

Ann

o

The pies turned out fine. They taste right also.
And I have not keeled over................yet.

I doubled the recipe, so,theoretically, each pie got only 1/2 of that can.

Kathy

o

If it was regular evaporated milk, I don't know. But sweetened condensed milk, as in Eagle brand, does get caramel colored as it sits around. Eagle says it is just fine if colored.

It was cooked, so likely any bad guys just cooked away.

o

I'm from an era when expiration dates were not found on canned goods, or other things for that matter, that I remember. I had some canned emergency foods stored and when I went to give some away I noted they had expired, even though I didn't consider them that old. DD told me that the food bank wouldn't even take them, that they toss out all cans with expired dates. Well, DH is having to eat more canned food than he normally would. I can't find anything wrong with them, a few months should not cause harm. The only cans I used to toss were those that looked like they bulged or had dents or if the product didn't look right. From now on, I'll have to stick to dehydrated foods for emergency food.

o

Kathy:
Glad your pies turned out good. I have a few cans about 2 years old.
Glad you tested them.Now I can use mine.lol!!!

The GI's in Korea were eating rations from WW2.

Colour and Flavour stayed the same. Not too good.

LOU

o

They were eating those WWII and Korea rations in Vietnam. In fact, my DH preferred them. The food was better than the "modern" rations.

Carol

o

Lou ~ you are welcome!

Terra ~ I, too, am from "an era when expiration dates were not found on canned goods". I wasn't really too worried, but thought I would check.

I assumed the milk had seperated from sitting for so long.

I let my beloved oldest grandson eat pie. He says this is his favorite holiday. Pumpkin pie is his favorite. I always bake him his own pie.
This time last year he was flying combat missions over Afganistan.
So thankful he is home.

o

Plantmaven:
That is really something to be Thankful for.
I know how you feel.

My Grandson was in the Submarine Service for 8 years.
Went on 6 Cruises.
He left the service and is now going to NYU .
If he has any spare time,? he is going to be a Snowboard Instructor, at Jiminy Peak Ski Resort.

In one way I'm glad to see him home and trying to advance himself but
at the same time, I hated to see him leave the Navy.

Hope you had the best Thanksgiving !!!
Lou

o
PS: expired evaporated milk

Reading Lady :
Never made it to Vietnam. Don't know how or what they had to eat then.

The guys really enjoyed the Thanksgiving and Christmas, Turkey Dinners, we made for them.
They came with all the trimmings and Dessert.
Clover Leaf Dinner Rolls , Pies, Etc.

I went home soon after that.
LOU

o

Carol, Uncle Marty came home from his second tour of duty in Vietnam with some of the old K-rations. The peanut butter was actually pretty good.

Elery's son, Chris, was in Kosovo and got wounded there. He said the MREs were horrible, that K-rations HAD to be better.

But anyway, expiration dates on canned food items do not mean that the item is spoiled, much of it is safe indefinitely. Is it good? Well, that's another question because quality will deteriorate over time.

Annie

o

Commercial MRE's are good to keep as emergency food because they last so long. People tell me they taste good now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here