Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arepas! Silvia - need your expertise!

Posted by teresa_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 13:21

Silvia - I am hoping you can provide a good recipe for Arepas. I have a friend who has discovered she is gluten intolerant. She enjoys the Pork Arepas from one of the lunch trucks in Minneapolis.

Can Arepas be made and frozen? And the batter be made and refridgerated like pancake batter?

Any tips and recipes for my friend Leah would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arepas! Silvia - need your expertise!

Teresa-

I make arepas about once a month. Split, wrap in foil (pop-up sheets) and freeze the extras.

This is my go-to recipe because it includes a little protein from the dairy in the recipe. I use drained homemade kefir curd for cream cheese.

CREAM CHEESE AREPAS
Ingredients (makes 4):
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup softened cream cheese
1 tsp sugar
1 cup P.A.N. arepas flour

Video and instructions found at the link below. I make them in a pan. There are recipes for arepas on the package of P.A.N. (pre-cooked white corn meal flour).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Wishes - Cream Cheese Apepas

o

Of course a woman with the name Grainlady would come to my rescue! The Whole Foods as well as a number of other stores sell the PAN white corn flour. I will watch the video - I've seen a couple already. The amount of fat varies greatly. I'll take your word that these will be good!

Thanks!
Teresa

o

Hi Teresa

Thanks to Grainlady you have a good recipe, I have been reading some of her posts and she always has good info.
I don't make arepas or tortillas but maybe once in a while. Like tortillas there are many different kinds and recipes. They are very popular in Venezuela and Colombia and some have cheese and others don't.
Here is another recipe for your friend.

Here is a link that might be useful: arepas

o
RE: Arepas! Silvia - need your expertise! +

Teresa - Your post reminded me that I got a Corona Mill for corn last Christmas, I better start using it,lol.
It also reminded me that when I lived in India for a while, I loved the fresh breads there , the ones made with chickpea flour or the crispy ones papadum made with lentils. I also like the Ethiopia injera bread. Your friend has a lot of tasty options!

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: gluten free breads

o

I posted on my "Tricks & Treats" thread about this interesting nut "caltrop" which is also known as water chestnut, buffalo nut, bat nut, devil pod, Singhara or Eurasian water chestnut.

I discovered it when I had to help a gluten intolerant friend.

From the WEB: [The main ingredient in my gluten-free naans is water chestnut flour. This flour is called singhare ka atta in India and is eaten by Hindu ladies on festive occasions or fasts, in place of a gluten diet. It is also an important ingredient in traditional Chinese cooking.]

I have the nuts in my freezer, I may try to make arepas with the flour.

Thanks all for posting the recipes.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here