Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you freeze uncooked rolls?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 13:17

I'd like to make ahead some rolls for Thanksgiving and it seems like it's possible to freeze them after shaping but before baking. Sounds good, but how does one actually freeze them so that you don't end up with a big mushy mess when you thaw them? I could probably sacrifice a baking sheet for a few weeks if that's the best way. Then just plastic wrap the whole thing?

Or is this too much trouble and I should just bake them, then freeze? If I do that, do they need to be individually foil wrapped or uhhh...what, me clueless?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you freeze uncooked rolls?

It really works best to bake the rolls and then freeze them...un baked rolls have to come to room temperature and rise before you can bake them...that's a pain1
Just put your baked rolls into a freezer bag and and pop them into the freezer....they will be fine for a couple of weeks.
Linda C

o

I bake the rolls until the dough is fully set but not yet browned then cool completely, place in foil pans, wrap with plastic wrap & freeze. Just before dinner, take from the freezer, put in a preheated 375 oven & finish browning.

/tricia

o

I agree with Linda C - bake the rolls and then reheat them before serving. The horror stories I could tell.... You can also find recipes for par-baked (partially baked) rolls (similar to brown and serve rolls) you can make at home.

Here's a recipe from the Kansas Wheat Commission - 2000 booklet - a special recipe developed by Cindy and Christy in the KWC test kitchen. Even if you use your own recipe, you can follow the freezer/thawing/baking instructions.

-Grainlady

FREEZER ROLLS

6-1/2 to 6-3/4 c. bread flour, divided*
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. nonfat dry milk powder
1-3/4 c. cold water
1/2 c. shortening
2 large eggs, beaten
1 t. grated lemon peel
1 t. lemon juice
2 T. active dry yeast
2 t. salt

*Variation: Substitute 2-1/2 c. whole wheat flour in the first step.

In large mixing bowl, combine 2-1/2 c. flour, sugar and nonfat dry milk.

Add cold water, shortening, eggs, lemon peel and lemon juice. Beat 3 minutes.

Stir in undissolved yeast and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes. Add salt and 1 cup flour; mix 2 minutes.

Add enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead 15 minutes by hand or with dough hook.

Divide and shape into 24 rolls. Place on greased sheet. Cover with plastic bag or wrap; seal well.

Freeze until solid. Remove rolls from sheet; transfer to sealable bag. Use within 2 weeks.

When needed, remove rolls from freezer and place on greased baking sheet; cover with plastic bag or wrap. Place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.

Place shallow pan of boiling water on bottom oven rack. Place covered rolls on top oven rack. DO NOT turn oven on. Let rolls rise until double, about 1-1/2 hours. Change boiling water half way through rising.

Remove rolls from oven. Preheat oven to 400F. Uncover rolls; bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from sheets; cool on racks.

o

Thanks all! Very helpful. :)

o

Well, I must be the lone dissenter because I often make rolls, let them rise, punch them down, shape them and then freeze them on baking sheets.

When I want them I thaw them out, usually in the refrigerator overnight, let them rise and bake them.

I did find that if I keep dough more than 2 months, it kills the yeast and then my rolls won't rise.

Annie

o

Annie, how do you seal them for freezing? I can just picture them sticking to whatever I wrap them with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here