Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soldiers needing baking support

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 12:56

As I mentioned before, Army combat medic DD is stationed at a remote base in Afghanistan. She and some of her fellow soldiers like to bake but have no availability of ovens.

However, they recently received a couple of children's EZ Bake Deluxe ovens with those little pans and boxes of mixes. While not the tastiest of baked goods, she said it has been a wonderful treat for them.

I seem to recall that regular cake mixes can be adapted to use in the ovens but no idea what the quantities of ingredients would be for those size pans or if there's any way I could make and package some sort of "just add water" from scratch mixes.

I'd appreciate any ideas you can come up with so I can send them some mixes to make their holidays a little brighter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soldiers needing baking support

Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix, Betty Crocker Supermoist cake mix or Jiffy cake mix: 3 Tablespoon Mix and 1 Tablespoon milk, sorry have not tried water

o

Can you send some powdered milk with the mixes. Or cans of condensensed milk? I saw some mini cans of condensed milk in the store recently.

o

maybe powdered milk, stores better.

o

Thanks so much for the information. I'll send them some cake mix, powdered milk and a measuring spoon and that should get them started.

o

There t there if you type in are several websites out there if you type in EZ bake oven recipes. I seem to remember there being a contest some years ago to see who could come up with the tastiest recipes using an EZ Bake. I can't seem to find that on line.

Here's what Hasbro (the maker of EZ Bake) has for recipes:
http://www.hasbro.com/easy-bake/en_US/play/browse.cfm?Items=50

Food.com definitely has more recipes though.

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ Bake Oven Recipes

o

Would it be possible to send them a toaster oven and would they be able to use it? I'm sure you have thought of this already. Just wondering.

Jim

o

I imagine a toaster oven draws too much power. They "oven" probably uses no more than a lamp, and they can run it off a generator without pulling power away from other needs.

Do they need light bulbs or is this one that has it's own heating element?

o

There are many simple designs for solar ovens, many of them are practical.

Also, a radar or microwave dish antenna can be perfect for a high temperature furnace/oven.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: solar dish

o

Booberry, I'll check out those links. Lots of info there.

They're in a tent camp powered only by generators so the use of electrical appliances is limited.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here