SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Cracker trouble, designer grains?

Made crackers last night, again. Trying some new things. Adjusting the temp a bit from an earlier batch. Just want to get this perfect for x-mas gifts. The first one, herbs, worked fine but a bit brown on the edges. The next one was the spicy. Fantastic, nice spice and rich like a cross between a cheese nip and wheat thin. But the next few started smelling like poop. Like dog poo when rolling out. Very earthy and stinky.
I've started grinding my own grains half to flour and leaving a bit as a 'grainy' grain. I've got Farro, Freekeh, quinoa, chia, hemp hearts, flax,etc, all sorts of seeds and nuts. Not much care that they are 'in fashion' but i think its super they are available locally and at a reasonable cost.
Family on both sides are so loving my crackers and i hear about the ones i sent a couple years ago and want more or at least the recipe. So i'm experimenting and plan to give Danish dough whisks, some made crackers, but also a dry mix to make their own...
But the stink....i'll pay more attention with the next batch. Could it be the hemp? I've searched the net and nothing mentions hemp having such a smell. quinoa is earthy. Maybe it is the combination. Hmmm
The herb batch did not have hemp...nice rosemary and savory aroma. But does have flax and chia and some corn flour.

Comments (11)