Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Dessert Recipe for 25 guys

Posted by debbyga (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 12:52

Hi all! DH asked me if I would make some kind of dessert that he can take to work that will feed 25 guys. Does anyone have any ideas? they're having some sort of pre-Thanksgiving dinner. DH doesn't know what's on the menu, but I guess that really doesn't matter. I've contemplated a couple cheesecakes, or maybe a large sheet cake or something, but I'm not sure. (Just so you know, I'm an experienced cook and baker.) Love to have some ideas. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Dessert Recipe for 25 guys

I went to a dinner party last night and was served a wonderful pumpkin sheet cake, topped with about an inch of whipped cream, chocolate mini chips and some of that heathe bar crunch....was wonderful! I have a recipe for a pumpkin sheet cake if you need one, but no recipe for the topping, I just know what I ate...and the topping was Cool-Whip...with the other stuff.

also there's this one...you would need to make 2.
Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake

Prep time: 30 minutes Serves: 10-12
Cooking time: 65-75 minutes

Or this....Again you would need to make 2.
� Rebecca�s Swedish pineapple cake
� FOR THE CAKE:
� 2 cups Granulated Sugar
� 2 cups Flour
� 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
� 1 teaspoon Vanilla
� 1 can Crushed Pineapple (20 Ounces), Undrained
� 1/2 cups Chopped Pecans
� FOR THE ICING:
� 1/2 cups Butter, Softened
� 3/4 cups Granulated Sugar
� 1 package Cream Cheese (8 Ounces)
� 1/2 cups Chopped Pecans
Preparation Instructions
To make the cake, in a mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, soda, vanilla, pineapple, juice from pineapple, and pecans until well blended. Pour mixture into a greased and floured 9�13 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting....frost when cake has cooled

Crust:
11/2 cups graham cracker or ginger snaps (I like � of each)
5 T. butter, melted
1 T. sugar

Filling:
3-8oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 C. canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. allspice

Topping;
1 C. heavy cream
1/2 C. sugar
1 t. white vanilla
1/2 C. chopped pecans

Mix crust ingredients together, just until coated and crumbly. Press onto the bottom and two-thirds of the way up the sides of an 8" spring form pan. Bake for 5 minutes at 350F. Set aside.

Combine cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl, mix until smooth with an electric mixer. Add pumpkin, eggs, and spices and beat until smooth and creamy. Pour into the crust. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the top turns a bit darker. Remove from oven and allow to come to room temperature, then refrigerate.

Just before serving, whip the cream, sugar and white vanilla.

After cake has thoroughly chilled, add the whipped cream topping and sprinkle nuts over the cream. Remove the pan sides and cut.

o

We love pecan pie or pumpkin pie this time of the year, but pies arent as easy to transport.

Pumpkin bars come to my mind as something much easier to transport. Taste of Home has a recipe similar to the recipe I use. It makes 24, but for guys I would make 2 pans and cut into larger bars.

o

YUM, thank you for the wonderful ideas. I was thinking I should do something pumpkin too. We'll see.

o

Lemon bars. Easy and yummy!

o

Pumpkin, pecans, or apple........pecan bars, apple bars or apple crisp.

o

Boring, but I bet brownies would be a hit. You could pile a few different varieties on a huge platter.

o

I have to agree with Bumblebeez about the brownies. You could put different kinds of nuts in the different batches for variety. When I was a pastry chef, the item most requested was brownies, and they always sold out. I would generally make eight dozen at a time, and I had a Hobart machine to do the mixing for me.

Here's another recipe I like that serves 12:

Cherry Cream Crunch

Cherry pie filling:*
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups fresh pitted cherries (or canned)
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Crust:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flaked or shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup granola (or oatmeal or rice flakes**)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Lemon filling:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (15 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt

Cherry pie filling:
Combine sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, stir, add cherries, and let sit for at least 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain off and reserve cherry syrup.

Combine a small amount of syrup to cornstarch to make a paste, then stir cornstarch paste back into syrup. Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the drained cherries. Cool before using.

Crust:
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add brown sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Sift flour, salt and cinnamon; add to butter mixture. Stir in coconut, granola, and walnuts. Press 2-1/2 cups of crumb mixture into bottom of ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.

Lemon filling:
Prepare the lemon filling by combining the slightly beaten eggs, sweetened condensed milk, grated lemon rind, fresh lemon juice and salt. Stir until mixture thickens. Remove crust from the oven and spread with lemon filling. Spoon the cherry pie filling over the lemon filling and then sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture. Return to oven and bake at 375 degrees 15 to 18 minutes or until delicately browned. Chill before serving. May be served topped with whipped cream. Serves 12.

*You can substitute 1 can (1 lb 4 oz.) of canned cherry pie filling
**If using oatmeal or rice flakes instead of granola, increase brown sugar to 1/2 cup.

Lars

o

These are wonderful and go over really well with the guys in my house. I miss Marilyn!

Alexa

Salted Peanut Bars
(The flavor of a Pay Day candy bar. From Marilyn on the CF)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 + 1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg yolks
3 cups miniature marshmallows
2/3 cup corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (10-oz.) pkg. Reece�s peanut butter chips
1 (16-oz.) can salted, dry roasted peanuts
Heat oven to 350�. In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and egg yolks until crumbly. Press firmly in bottom of ungreased 9X13X2-inch baking pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven and bake an additional 1 or 2 minutes until marshmallows just begin to puff. Cool while preparing topping.
In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla and peanut butter chips. Over low heat melt just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in peanuts. Immediately spoon warm topping evenly over marshmallows; dipping your fingers in water to prevent stickiness, spread to cover. Refrigerate until firm; 1 hour and cut into bars dipping the knife into hot water occasionally

o

I also think brownies would go over well, or something like Texas Sheet Cake, which my family loves.

I also have a recipe for apple pie bars made in a large pan instead of in pie shape, and it makes 32 bars (although I never cut them that small, LOL) and I usually replace the cornflakes with 1/4 cup of flour, mixed in with the sugar and added to the apples. The recipe came from Midwest Living.

Danish Pastry Apple Pie Bars

�Yield: 32 bars
�Prep 30 mins
�Bake 50 mins

�2 1/2cups all-purpose flour

�1 teaspoon salt

�1 cup shortening

�1 egg yolk

� Milk

�1 cup cornflakes

�8 -10 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (8 cups)

�3/4-1 cup granulated sugar

�1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

�1 egg white, lightly beaten

�1 cup powdered sugar

�3 -4 teaspoons milk

1.In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a liquid measuring cup, beat egg yolk lightly. Add enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid. Stir well to combine. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture with a fork until combined (dough will be slightly sticky). Divide mixture in half.

2.On a well-floured surface, roll half of the dough to a 17x12-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Transfer to a 15x10x1-inch baking pan and unfold dough, pressing to fit into the bottom and sides of the pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes. Top evenly with apples. In a small bowl combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Roll remaining dough to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Place atop apples and unfold dough. Crimp edges or use the tines of a fork to seal. Cut slits in the top. Brush top with beaten egg white.

3.Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 50 minutes or until golden and apples are tender, covering with foil after the first 25 minutes of baking time to prevent overbrowning.

4.In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons milk to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm bars. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 32 bars.

Annie

o

I think I might do chocolate cupcakes and fill them with a peanut butter filling (use an apple corer on the top to remove the center then pipe with a zip loc bag. The fill hole will be covered by the frosting. Make life easy, fill from the top). Frost with more pb filling/frosting and plop a mini reeses cup on top.

If you want to be fancy schmancy, serve them on one of those tiered cupcake holder things.

jo

o

There are Alexa's Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. You'd have to make a batch and a half.

Alexa

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Cookie Cake Ingredients:

2 egg yolks
2c brown sugar
1c vegetable oil
2c cooked pumpkin (or 1-15 oz can)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
3c flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Beat egg yolks, brown sugar and oil together, add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Mix in dry ingredients.

Drop heaping tablespoons of batter on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool on cookie rack. Mix filling ingredients and fill cookies like a sandwich. Makes about 18 pies.

Filling Ingredients:

1/2c butter
4 oz. marshmallow fluff
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix in a stand mixer and use a the filling inbetween 2 cookies.

o

Depends on the guys, but a few pies and a sheet cake will give variety and cover the cake/pie controversy. Pie vs cake can be as controversial as Ford vs Chevy! Otherwise, brownies and "blondies". With either, I'd say go with two options unless you know what they like/dislike. Not all men are crazy about chocolate.

I'd suggest skipping the cheesecake without a survey on it. I personally don't know many guys who really like cheesecake.

I'd go with a sheet cake, maybe marble, and a pumpkin, apple and pecan pie. For luck, maybe a lemon meringue? There's bound to be at least one who won't do the pie so you'd have either 8 slices times 3 or 6 slices times 4 leaving one out unless someone skimps. Then have the sheet cake for alternative and the extra for coffee later.

You could go with bars. Pumpkin, apple, pecan, lemon are all good options. Some choice for them.

Tell them to pick up a bucket of ice cream to go with whatever you send.

Taste is a subjective thing. People I know probably like different things than people you know so make it easy on yourself. Pick out some things you would be OK with making and tell hubby to make the decision. Then you're not to blame if it's a flop! :D

I do remember Donkey saying Everybody loves parfaits!

o

Apple crisp is the easiest thing in the world. And is wonderful with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Eileen

o

I disagree about guys not liking cheese cake....all the guys I know or have ever known well enough to have had them eat something I have baked are crazy about cheese cake....and it's easy.

But I think the whoopie pies would be great....and if you make a double batch....you will have a few left for you.

o

Remember Chocolate Sheet Cake from the 70's. It was always a great hit whenever I brought it to a get together. Guys especially loved it. Here is Pioneer Woman's version.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever.

o

Oh my gosh, now I'm more confused than ever!! You guys have given some wonderful recipes and suggestions. I'll mull it over this weekend and get ready to cook on Monday. Thank you SO much!

o

debby, I'd make your husband choose!

Like Cynic, I don't know a lot of guys who like cheesecake, but I'm one of those strange people who aren't crazy for it either, so I don't count on my opinion on that. However, another issue is whether there will be refrigeration for the ice cream or cheesecakes. I'm assuming there will be, as you mentioned them, but I'd be sure there was enough for more than one if you go in that direction.

Annie

o

What's always a big seller and easy to make is a Harvey Wallbanger cake. They are moist and delish...and I'm sure the guys would love it.

I also like pumpkin bread and the recipe I use makes 2 loafs so that would be plenty.

I like the idea of apple crisp...maybe throw in some cranberries and nuts but the ice cream may be a problem to deal with...

My latest favorite easy dessert is the mock chocolate eclair cake...it really does taste like eclairs and it's no bake.

Along with the brownie idea, is to just make a cookie tray....you can get a variety of cookies to satisfy all tastes.

o

Whatever you make, I would suggest something that everyone at your house likes. If there are left overs, you don't want something that no one will eat when it comes back home! You've been given lots of great ideas.

Tami

o

Pie, cobbler, cheesecake are all good but messy and difficult to serve to large numbers. Drier things like cakes and brownies are easier.

Make a whiskey cake or rum cake and they'll like it. You can just use a decent plain cake recipe that you have and replace 1/2 or more of the liquid with some kind of whiskey, bourbon, or rum. Then make a simple syrup boiling together sugar and water and when that's all dissolved, add a few tablespoons of the same spirit you used in the cake. WHen the cake is finished, dribble that onto it and send it in.

Or make a beer cake. Works really well if you use Guinness or some kind of stout.

You can do something similar - just adapt your own cake (not something out of a box).

Here's a gingerbread version:

Beat together a stick of butter and 1/2 cup of sugar. Add an egg or two and about a cup of molasses or honey or some sweet syrup. If you don't like molasses, use something else. Mix together a teaspoon and a half of baking soda and about 2 and a half cups of flour (may want more or less - will depend on how many eggs and what syrup you use) and ground cinammon, cloves, fresh grated ginger or dried, and maybe some orange rind. Grate in some black pepper too - the more the better. Have a cup of stout handy and add to the butter mix alternatively with the flour, mixing until it's all combined. Don't beat it.

Bake it at 350F for about an hour or until done. Time will depend on the size of the pan you use.

o

I would go traditional. I am assuming since it is a pre-Thanksgiving dinner, it is a sit down and there are kitchen facilities, so you would be able to chill whipping cream.

I have a recipe for pumpkin pie squares that is basically pumpkin pie baked in a 9x13 pan. The crust is made of oatmeal, butter, brown sugar and flour, so easier than a conventional crust when making for a large number.

I also have a great pumpkin cake that I bake in a bundt pan and frost with cream cheese icing or glaze. It is easy, showy and always well received.

If you want either recipe, let me know.

I would NOT use alcohol in anything you make as you don't know who might be a recovering alcoholic and it really does not all bake/cook out. Even if it did, the flavor/taste can be a problem.

o

I suppose that's a fair point but but then you have people who can't have gluten and people who can't have starch and people who can't have sugar and people who can't have peanuts and people who can't have any nuts and people who won't eat eggs and people who can't have butter and at some point you just have to give up and let people manage their individual requirements.

o

I think that is a bit different. If I were allergic to peanuts, dairy, gluten, etc., I would ask, as those ingredients are much more apt to be in lots of foods. I wouldn't necessarily think that of alcohol and you also have the issue of revealing your addiction if you ask.

That said, I know cooking for people who each have different needs/likes can be a real hassle.

o

Go to the nearest Costco. They have great pies and cakes that are large, and reasonably priced. They are very tasty.
D

o

roses, the gingerbread version sounds like something I'd like a lot, especially with that cup of molasses and the black pepper, but I just don't care for alcohol. I don't have a drinking problem, I'm not allergic, I just don't like it.

Any reason you can see why I couldn't bake that and just add milk, or even orange juice along with the orange zest? The orange, I think, would be a good flavor along with the gingerbread. Maybe even some orange flavored whipped cream, mmmmm.

Or, if I need the "fizz", maybe some type of soft drink, ginger ale perhaps, which upon thought, might be good anyway...

Annie

o

You don't need the fizz at all, but you're right, if you have a good ginger ale, that could be an interesting addition. And I'm of the opinion that there are very few things a little orange zest does not improve, from fish soup to turkey brine to any cake to pretty much anything. It would be perfect with the gingerbread.

The stout won't taste alcoholic - you're going for the flavor alone. It adds a richness. The whiskey or spirits will taste of whatever they are whereas the stout kind of gets lost. But sure, you don't need it. It's just something that most guys get a kick out of.

o

Lots of beer and brownies....Why would anyone want
anything more? YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here