SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Making clotted cream in the slow cooker?

In a dairy products class last week we made clotted cream by heating a quart of heavy cream to a temperature in a double boiler on the stovetop, then holding it there for 45 minutes. (Very boring standing there holding a thermometer for 45 minutes, and cycling the heat up or down.). I refrigerated mine as instructed after and waited a day.

My results were disappointing. Maybe a quarter cup of slightly thickened stuff on top to be skimmed off, really too runny to not drip off a scone. And dipping the scone just did not cut it. Certainly not the thick heavenly stuff with a body like whipped cream cheese that I recalled from visiting England 20 years ago.

I went online to look for alternate methods. I found a lot of references to baking it in a shallow dish in the oven at a low temperature (180 degrees F) for at least 8 hours. The results in the pictures I saw looked right as to thickness, though with a crust on top that looked a bit caramelized, which I don't remember from England.

I can't see running my oven for 8 hours. I tried it in the slow cooker yesterday. After fruitless internet searching to find the temperature my Rival Crock pot runs at, I opted to use a water bath up to the level of the cream. Cream was in a pyrex dish set atop a cookie cutter to so it would be surrounded by water. I checked the temp several times, and the water was at 180 F most of the time. I turned it off after 12 hours when I went to bed. I was worried about it burning when we were asleep. Color looked a lot like a baked custard, yellow-tan, caramelized at the edges. It's in the refrigerator now. Unless it thickens a lot though, I don't think this is it, either.

Anyone try this? Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz