Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite quiche recipes

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 12:45

I made quiche for dinner last night for the first time in quite a few years (normally I just make it for breakfast or brunch), and I noticed that there was not a collection of quiche recipes here. I ended up using a variation of a Paula Deen recipe. I had pie crust dough left over from making the squash pie, and I made the crust with Vodka but omitted the sugar, since I do not like sweet crusts. Here's how I made the rest of the quiche:

Spinach quiche, based on Paula Deen's recipe

Filling ingredients:
Trader Joe's frozen spinach (about 1/2 package)
6 pieces turkey bacon, cooked until crisp
4 eggs, beaten (Paula used 6)
1 cup cream (Paula used 1-1/2 cups)
3-4 cups grated cheese; mixture of Jarlsberg, Gouda, Asiago, and Parmesan) I would have used only Jarlsberg or Swiss if I had had enough.
1/2 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt (can omit, since cheese and bacon are salty)

I let the frozen spinach defrost a bit in a strainer and broke it up into pieces. TJ's frozen spinach is loose in the package and much easier to use than the tight boxes of frozen spinach, and so I now always keep TJ's spinach in my freezer. I chopped up the bacon and added it to the spinach in a large bowl and then mixed in the grated cheeses. I may have used too much cheese, but it was still good. Then I arranged this mixture in a 9" pie crust shell and combined the eggs, cream, chili sauce, pepper, and salt in another bowl and poured this mixture over the spinach mixture. I baked the quiche at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes. It would take less time if the spinach had been completely defrosted.

I've noticed that different quiche recipes have different proportions of eggs, and I think I like it better with eggs being less prominent. Also, since I used cream instead of milk, the quiche did not upset my stomach, even with all of the cheese that I used. Normally, quiche had upset my stomach in the past, but this one did not. I made it mainly to use up the pie dough, however, and Kevin said he wanted it.

I have some leftover smoked chicken that I thought might be good in quiche. Is that a good choice, or is plain chicken better?

Do you ever make quiche for dinner, or is it only a breakfast/brunch dish for you? Now that I know it does not have to upset my stomach, I will make it more often, but will always use cream instead of milk.

Lars

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite quiche recipes

This is the last one I made. I really liked it. DH doesn't like Quiche, unless I tell him it's a "breakfast casserole" LOL

Seafood Quiche

1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust (emphasis on deep)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 pound crabmeat (I used canned)
1 pound salad shrimp (pat crab and shrimp dry)
1 cup fresh broccoli florettes
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 pinch ground black pepper
(can add a couple dashes of Tabasco)

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2 In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mayonnaise
and cornstarch. Stir in the cheese, seafood, veggies and
pepper. Pour into the pie shell.

3 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about an hour and fifteen minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly and serve.

o

Lars, link below is a thread from 2010 about quiches. I love them anytime!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiche thread

o

Timely thread!
I served a seafood quiche for the luncheon yesterday....and to be polite about it..."It was not my best"...I would rate it about a C- LOL!
I never use a recipe for quiche...but do remember the ratio of 4 eggs per 1 to 1 1/2 cups of milk and or cream.
For this one I used the vodka crust....that was fine....and a small can of canned crab ( that was a mistake..tiny shreds of "meat"...wish I had seen that, dumped it and found some surimi in the freezer) and about 1 1/2 cups of thawed small frozen shrimp, well drained, half a cup of sliced mushrooms....and then I filled the grust the rest of the way with that bagged shredded cheese, a mixture of sharp cheddar and Swiss. ..Oh yes and a good dash of sherry and a tablespoon or so of fresh grated parm.
It tasted wonderful....but looked separated and sort of curdled. I am going to blame the cheese and the fact that I didn't sautee the mushrooms first. I never use that bagged cheese, but it was on sale cheap and I was having frequent cast parties for the play I was direction and thought I would use it in nachoes etc.

What makes me mad is...I know better!!!

o

I make crustless quiche. I oil or butter the pie dish lightly and coat it with grated parmesan cheese. I never use a recipe either. I like potato quiche with cheeses and herbs, maybe some bell pepper or red pepper or sun dried tomatoes, and sauteed onions. I par-cook the potato slices in a skillet and layer them with the other ingredients and then pour the egg/milk mix over it all.

Eileen

o

Lars, I make quiche for dinner quite often. In fact I rarely make it for breakfast and don't often have brunch.

Two of my favorites, Sue's Hash Brown Quiche and Sharoncb's Salmon Quiche with Walnut Crumb Crust, came from folks right here on the forum!

I use Nancy's vodka pie crust recipe exclusively since I first tried it. I also leave out the sugar if I am making a savory pie.

Linda

o

Thanks, Jessy! I didn't find that 2010 thread when I did my search last night - perhaps I am not doing the searches correctly. It seems to me that if I am searching for "quiche", then if "quiche" is in in the title, that should show up first. Interesting that thread had pretty much the exact same title. I thought that putting key words in a title would make the threads show up sooner, but when I did the search, I got dozens of "cook along" threads showing up first, none of which had "quiche" in the title. There are some good recipes in the 2010 thread that I will try/adapt. I want to try the "Quiche aux Champignons" that was mentioned (without giving a recipe) from Julia Child. I might have that in one of the books that I have of hers.

Angelaid, your recipe looks really good, and I will try it soon, but with cream instead of milk.

Lars

o

Lars, I found that thread via google search, not GW. My search terms were 'quiche roasted red pepper feta jessyf gardenweb'

I find google searches find old threads that have scrolled off the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: google search

o

Thanks, Jessy - I'll have to remember that in the future for my searches! I've gotten very mixed results using the search feature here, although sometimes it works okay. I do think the google search works better, especially with "gardenweb" in the search. In fact, I find GW in a lot of my searches that do not include the name in my search.

Lars

o

A traditional quiche Lorraine is my favourite. Eggs, bacon, cheese. A leek based one is lovely too.
Funny - I can't imagine eating one for breakfast.

o

I like to make quiche from time to time and have found the ratio of 3 eggs to 1 cup cream (or half & half) to be good for my taste.

This weekend I made a spinach/bacon/cheddar quiche to use up a bag of fresh spinach. My favorite is a Chicken Cheese quiche:

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, sprinkled on the crust
1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
2 small green onions, chopped finely with the tops

to the 3 eggs and 1 cup cream, add 1/4 t. salt, 1/4 t. dry mustard, and 1/4 t. black pepper

pour the custard over the filling ingredients in the crust; top with 1/4 cup sliced almonds and another 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese; bake in a hot 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, then lower temp to 325 and bake for 30 minutes or until the custard firms up.

I have a quiche cookbook if you want any recipes for particular fillings.

Teresa

o

I also like Teresa's ratio of 3 eggs to 1 cup liquid which, for me, is milk or half and half. It's custard and I want it tender, not solid.

Spinach, either by itself or in combination with other ingredients, is a favorite. When the garden is producing Swiss chard, I use that instead.

Salmon, either canned or fresh which has been cooked is another favorite. Red salmon is especially eye appealing. It's good with spinach or chard.

Jarlsberg usually is a good choice for the cheese.

Jim

o

The last few years, I have foregone quiches for frittatas but the added ingredients for my favorites are the same.

Crabmeat, steamed asparagus and Brie or Swiss cheese
Smoked salmon, caramelized onions and capers
Sauteed spinach and mushrooms with tarragon

We usually have them for dinner with a side salad.

o

The frittatas I've made in the past were too bland, but I can see that I did not add enough ingredients - I'll have to try that again. It will be easier than a quiche, since I will not need a crust. The ones I made in the past were mostly potato, but I see now that I can cut back on the potato to make room for other vegetables.

I used four eggs for one cup liquid because I added a lot of spinach that contained a fair amount of liquid. If I used drier vegetables, I would change my proportions, but I do like for it to come out firm rather than soft - just a personal preference. I like omelets to be a bit firm also, just a bit more than a custard.

Here's another crust recipe I like to use with quiche:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 cup flour
Beat butter and cottage cheese together. Stir in flour - add 1/4 tsp salt if using unsalted butter; otherwise there is enough salt in the cottage cheese and butter. Chill dough slightly before rolling out.
It's a very forgiving recipe and does not suffer from overmixing.

Lars

o

Forgot to say this:

I often have the quiche hot for dinner then have the leftover cold the next day for lunch. It's good either way.

Jim

o

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by jimster on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 20:02

o

Try subbing buttermilk for your liquid. It is in the original Moosewood cookbook and makes the filling so yum. I put buttermilk in almost everything if it calls for milk/yogurt/sourcream.

o

Lars, I have made this casserole and can vouch that it is, to use a much overused word, fabulous. Not only is it good but one of the nice things it can be made ahead and no crust required. I tried to copy the picture with no success. I did not change anything about the recipe although I was tempted to add the green chilies. When I make it again I might just add them. Hard to improve on excellent, though!

Best of Breakfast: A Taste of Connecticut's Starbuck Inn (Recipe: Lydia's Baked Eggs & Cheese Casserole)

Flavorful enough to holds its own amongst servings of fruit, bacon, sausage, potatoes, pancakes and more, this recipe can be easily adapted to spice up your day. Consider adding a small can of diced green chiles, a few pinches of crushed red pepper, or a handful of roasted veggies and you've got the makings of an entree that is sure to fulfill your stomach's desire.

Originally serving 12, I cut the recipe back to create a casserole perfect for serving 6-8. Next time you're looking for a basic egg casserole, I hope you'll consider this one. Dressed up or paired down, it's sure to please the palates of family and friends alike.

Lydia's Baked Eggs & Cheese Casserole

A "Best of" Inn Cuisine, recipe adapted from the Starbuck Inn Bed & Breakfast of Kent, Connecticut

�5 large eggs
�1/2 cup milk
�1 teaspoon granulated sugar
�8 ounces (2 cups) Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese
�2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
�8 ounces small curd, low-fat cottage cheese
�2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
�1/4 cup all-purpose flour
�1/2 teaspoon baking powder
�pinch of fresh chives
�salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
�optional - 1 small can of diced green chiles, a dash of crushed red pepper, or a handful of your favorite roasted veggies
Thoroughly spray a 1.5-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sugar. Add the 3 cheeses and the butter, whisking well. Add the flour, baking powder, chives, salt, pepper and optional ingredients (if desired) and whisk or stir gently to combine. Pour mixture in the greased 1.5-quart casserole dish and place in a 325 degree F oven for approximately 45 minutes (begin checking at about 40 minutes and cook until center is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean).

Note: This casserole may be assembled ahead of time (up to 1 day in advance if covered tightly with wrap) and refrigerated until baking. Remove wrap, allow casserole dish to warm at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for approximately 60 minutes if casserole goes into the oven pre-chilled.

Yield: serves 6-8

o

I make quiche at least once a week at work. We use a cream cheese crust that is very easy to work with, and can be used for a variety of recipes, both savory and sweet. I vary the fillings from a very traditional quiche lorraine, mushrooms with Sherry, mediterranean, spinach/mushroom.
We use a tart pan with a removable bottom that is 9 inchs x 3 inch deep. We like the ratio of one egg to every 1/2 cup of half and half. Two cups of half and half and four eggs fill the tart pan nicely, with a little nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne.
Cream Cheese Crust (1 crust)
1 cup flour
4 oz cold butter, cubed
4 oz cold cream cheese, cubed
Place all ingredients in food processor. Pulse to combine, then process until dough comes together. Chill 30 minutes, then roll out.

I always bake the quiche on the bottom rack of the oven, starting out at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then drop the temp to 375 for 25-30 minutes.

Oly

o

Jude, I would definitely have to add chilies (I use fresh instead of canned because I grow them), and I would probably like adding some vegetables as well. Plain egg and cheese to me is too bland, unless the cheese is very sharp.

Oly, my tart pan is only about an 1" high (I think), and so it looks like I would need to get a higher one for that recipe, which I might do. I've made cream cheese crusts in the past, and they are very similar to the cottage cheese crust. The cottage cheese version puffs up a bit more.

I think I will start making quiche more often, since it actually takes less time than what I spend to make an omelet. I want to try making one with potatoes, and I'm thinking of making a bottom crust with thinly sliced potatoes that I bake for a few minutes before adding the filling. I thought I would start with thin potato slices that I could cook in the pan with a bit of oil before adding the filling. I saw recipes that call for shredding the potatoes to make the crust, but I would rather use slices.

Lars

o

Lars, I have made quiche with a shredded potato crust...turned out very well!

Teresa

o

I can vouch for yasou's quiche crust!!!!

o

I like the idea of potatoes, for either filling or crust. Never thought of it. Sort of a quiche/frittata hybrid.

BTW, I haven't eaten quiche for breakfast. But why not?

Jim

o

This is an odd one... I think I tore the recipe out of a magazine waaay back in our vegetarian days. It's still our favorite (probably because I am a lousy quiche crust maker). It's gotta be saltines...I've tried other crumbs and it's never as good.

Mushroom Crusted Quiche

3/4 pound mushrooms -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
crushed saltine crackers -- 1/2-2/3 cup
3/4 cup sauteed onion -- or green onion
2 c monterey jack cheese -- shredded
3 eggs
1 pint cottage cheese
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Saute mushrooms in butter. Add enough crushed saltines to absorb liquid. Press into 9" pie pan.

Sprinkle crust with onion. Heap jack cheese over onion; don't pack down.

Whirl eggs, cottage cheese and cayenne in blender. Pour into crust. Bake at 350�F 45 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here