SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Favorite quiche recipes

Lars
11 years ago

I made quiche for dinner last night for the first time in quite a few years (normally I just make it for breakfast or brunch), and I noticed that there was not a collection of quiche recipes here. I ended up using a variation of a Paula Deen recipe. I had pie crust dough left over from making the squash pie, and I made the crust with Vodka but omitted the sugar, since I do not like sweet crusts. Here's how I made the rest of the quiche:

Spinach quiche, based on Paula Deen's recipe

Filling ingredients:
Trader Joe's frozen spinach (about 1/2 package)
6 pieces turkey bacon, cooked until crisp
4 eggs, beaten (Paula used 6)
1 cup cream (Paula used 1-1/2 cups)
3-4 cups grated cheese; mixture of Jarlsberg, Gouda, Asiago, and Parmesan) I would have used only Jarlsberg or Swiss if I had had enough.
1/2 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt (can omit, since cheese and bacon are salty)

I let the frozen spinach defrost a bit in a strainer and broke it up into pieces. TJ's frozen spinach is loose in the package and much easier to use than the tight boxes of frozen spinach, and so I now always keep TJ's spinach in my freezer. I chopped up the bacon and added it to the spinach in a large bowl and then mixed in the grated cheeses. I may have used too much cheese, but it was still good. Then I arranged this mixture in a 9" pie crust shell and combined the eggs, cream, chili sauce, pepper, and salt in another bowl and poured this mixture over the spinach mixture. I baked the quiche at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes. It would take less time if the spinach had been completely defrosted.

I've noticed that different quiche recipes have different proportions of eggs, and I think I like it better with eggs being less prominent. Also, since I used cream instead of milk, the quiche did not upset my stomach, even with all of the cheese that I used. Normally, quiche had upset my stomach in the past, but this one did not. I made it mainly to use up the pie dough, however, and Kevin said he wanted it.

I have some leftover smoked chicken that I thought might be good in quiche. Is that a good choice, or is plain chicken better?

Do you ever make quiche for dinner, or is it only a breakfast/brunch dish for you? Now that I know it does not have to upset my stomach, I will make it more often, but will always use cream instead of milk.

Lars

Comments (23)