SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

leftover smoked chicken breast suggestions

Lars
10 years ago

Kevin likes to make smoked chicken breasts, and he generally makes too many at one time. The last batch came out very good, but we also had smoked turkey breast (which I use for sandwiches at lunch) and smoked Italian sausages, and so there was enough meat smoked to last more than a week.

Last night I decided to make Ann T's chicken pot pie using the smoked chicken, and that was not a good idea. I can tell it would have been very good if I had used plain chicken breasts, but the smoked chicken had a flavor similar to smoked ham in the final dish. I had even bought special little oval corningware baking dishes to make individual pot pies (something I've only made once or twice before) because I could not find round ramekins at Kohls, where Kevin had $20 of free Kohls cash that expired yesterday. So the dishes were essentially free and worked well, although we could not eat half of what I put inside. Because the pans were so deep I made top and bottom crusts, but I think top crust would have been enough, which is what I will do next time. I used fresh thyme in the pie dough according to Ann's recipe because I have new thyme growing in my yard.

Anyway, I still have smoked chicken breast left over and wonder what are some interesting or different ways to use it. I've made chicken salad with it with hard boiled eggs, celery, onion, Giardiniera, olives, pickles, etc, and that is okay, but I thought there might be a better use. I wonder if it would be good for eggs rolls or empanadas.

What would you use it for?

Lars

Comments (7)