Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick Breads

Posted by opkikid (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 12:38

Happily, I have a houseful for Thanksgiving weekend. I like to serve quick breads and fruit for breakfast because people can help themselves as they get up. I need some ideas and I know that there are a lot of great tea and quick bread bakers on this forum. Thanks. Gobble, Gobble.

Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick Breads

I'll try to post when I get home. I have lots and lots of quick bread recipes: apple, peach, pumpkin, banana, cranberry

o

I've been making the following a lot - all have been very well received. The best Cranberry Bread is the one on the back of the Ocean Spray bag of fresh cranberries.

Good luck and have fun!

Alexa

Pumpkin Bread

INGREDIENTS:
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Blueberry Lemon Bread Recipe
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 lemon, juiced
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons lemons, zest of
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease and flour an 8x4 Inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, and beat well.
Mix in the juice of 1 lemon.
Add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk.
Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries.
Pour into prepared 8x4 inch loaf pan.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
For the glaze, combine 1/4 cup sugar with 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
Drizzle over cake while still warm.
Black And White Banana Loaf

Planning Tip: Wrap airtight and store at room temperature up to 5 days or freeze up to 2 months.

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg
1 1/2 ripe medium bananas
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
Small squirt of lemon juice
1 Tbsp dark rum
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 stick plus 2 Tbsp (1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk

1. Heat oven to 325F. Butter an 8 x 4 x 21/2-in. loaf pan; dust with flour; tap out excess.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl until blended.

3. In another small bowl, mash bananas with lemon zest and juice; stir in rum.

4. Microwave chocolate and 2 Tbsp butter, stirring every 10 seconds, until melted and blended.

5. Beat remaining butter with mixer on medium speed 3 minutes or until creamy. Add sugars; beat 2 to 3 minutes until light and smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla (batter will look curdled). Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in 1/2 the flour mixture just until blended. Beat in milk until combined, then remaining flour mixture. Scrape down bowl; beat in banana mixture (batter will look lumpy).

6. Stir a little less than 1/2 the batter into melted chocolate to blend. Drop alternating spoonfuls of both batters into prepared pan. Using a table knife, swirl batters together, taking care not to overdo it.

7. Bake 1 hour and 20 to 30 minutes (check cake after 45 minutes and cover loosely with foil if its getting too brown), until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes before inverting on rack, turning right side up and cooling completely.

o

Along these same lines - all my recipes for quick breads use white flour. Can you substitute whole grain - do you need to make adjustments? I've never used whole grain flour in anything but I'm losing my taste for refined carbs so would like to try it.

o

Here's a delicious one I found last year...

PEAR BREAD (Really good!)
1 c. vegetable oil
2 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 c. peeled and chopped fresh pears (4 med.)
1 c. chopped pecans
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar and eggs, blending well.
Stir in pears, pecans and vanilla. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients.

Stir dry ingredients into pear mixture, pour the batter into two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pans, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool loaves 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on the wire racks.
Makes two loaves.
Deanna

o

There so many wonderful recipes out there. I make either bread or muffins in several varieties and freeze some for later. This weekend I am making lemon poppy seed, pumpkin, and applesauce.
Clare

o

CINDY MAC'S BUTTERNUT SQUASH BREAD

1 large butternut squash
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

CUT squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place cut side down in a shallow pan; add water to depth of 1/2 inch. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until tender; drain. Scoop out pulp; mash. Discard shell. Measure 1 3/4 cups pulp; reserve any remaining pulp for other uses.

BEAT butter, gradually adding sugar; beat well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices; add to butter mixture alternately with squash, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in pecans. Spoon batter into greased & floured 9x5x3 inch loafpan and bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Or bake in 4 small loaf pans for 50 minutes/mini loaf pans 40 minutes.)

COOL in pan(s) on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan(s), and let cool completely on wire rack.

o

I saved this link in hopes of trying some of these myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joy of Cooking

o

Woops! Sorry, Angie, I forgot to type them out last night.

o

I make this one often.

Blueberry Breakfast Cereal Bread

2 Cups cereal, crushed (about cup) I used Bran flakes
cup water
1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon peel
cup orange juice
teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg or cup fat-free egg product
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix cereal, water, orange peel, orange juice and vanilla; let stand 10 minutes. Stirein remaining ingredients except blueberries. Stir in blueberries. Pour into pan.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loose sides of loaf; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely before slicing, at least 1 hour.

It might be nice to also serve some compound butters or flavored cream cheese in little crocks...thinking maple pecan or honey...

o

Pumpkin Bread
2/3 cup shortening
2-2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
2/3 cup water (or use cider)
3-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. soda
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts
2/3 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350. Grease 2 loaf pans. Cream shortening and sugar thoroughly. Add eggs, pumpkin and water. Blend in dry ingredients, except nuts and raisins. Stir in nuts and raisins after batter has been mixed well. Bake 60-70 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
I think I set my timer for 50 minutes and then checked it, but don't remember if I had to cook longer than that or not. This is my favorite pumpkin bread recipe, and is wonderful with a cream cheese and lemon and sugar glaze on it.

Rosie's Banana Bread
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup mashed bananas
1 cup sugar
1-1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Mix oil, eggs, and bananas with sugar. Sift dry ingredients and add. Bake 50 minutes in heavily greased and floured pan. This is a very, very moist bread, so good greasing and flouring of the pan is necessary. I also add 1 cup chopped walnuts to this. This, again, is the best banana bread recipe I have found.

Cherry Zucchini Bread

2 eggs
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup dried tart cherries
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs. grated lemon peel
2 tsp. baking powder

Put eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on med. speed 3-4 minutes, or until eggs are thick and lemon colored. Add sugar, oil, lemon juice, and water and mix well.
Combine flouyr baking powder, cinnamon, soda and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchin, cherries, and lemon peel.
Grease and flour the bottom only of a loaf pan. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 55-65 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 1 loaf.

I could not find my zucchini, apple, or cranberry quick bread recipes, but if you really want them, just let me know and I will dig deeper.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Sherry

o

Found this in my KA book the other day. I made a turkey last night with all the fixins so I could have some cranberry sauce left over (a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do). I'll be making this tonight and report back.

Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake

1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter
1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk or yogurt (low-fat is fine)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (10 3/4 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup blanched slivered or sliced almonds, toasted

---Glaze---

3/4 cup (3 ounces) confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Spread almonds in an ungreased 9" round cake pan, and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until theyre a light golden brown.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 10-cup (9" to 9 ") tube pan or bundt-style pan.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, then the buttermilk or yogurt and almond extract. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat briefly again, to make sure everything is well combined. Add the baking powder, baking soda, flour, and salt, stirring just to blend. Spoon half of batter into the prepared pan. Spread half of cranberry sauce evenly atop batter, then spread remaining batter over that. Top with remaining cranberry sauce, and sprinkle toasted almonds evenly over sauce.

Bake the cake for 55 minutes, tenting it with foil for the final 15 minutes. When its done, a cake tester inserted into the thickest part will come out clean, and the top will spring back when you press it gently. Remove the cake from the oven, and cool it in pan for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn it out of the pan onto a rack set over a piece of parchment, and stir together the glaze ingredients.

Drizzle the thin glaze over the warm cake.

o

This is an unusual one, but got rave reviews from my husband and others... A little healthier than your average quick bread...
The link is below -- its one of my favorite food blogs that has the recipe, and so who knows what other great recipes you'll find there too!

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Oatmeal Applesauce Bread

o

Gibby3000,
There are a few recipes on the KA site for quickbreads that use wholewheat flour and rolled oats.

Here is a link that might be useful: KA Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here