Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pnut oil

Posted by grams33 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 12:30

Can someone help here/ We use peanut oil in or turkey fryer and also for frying doughnuts. Of late it seems like the oil does not get as hot as the thermometer records and our doughnuts are greasy. Is it possible that the oil loses some of it's ability to heat ans therefore should be discarded?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pnut oil

Check your thermometer for accuracy first.

dcarch

o

It is getting as hot but I am surprised that it isn't smoking long before it gets to temp. This is due to the accumulated stuff in the oil Once things start getting greasy you have no recourse except to replace the oil.

I have a built in deep fat fryer in my kitchen. What happens with oil after you have used it many times is it degrades and then it must be replaced . Here are some links to tips.

Basically my son the chef , I am here at his house now, says...when the oil gets s%^&y replace it ! c

Here is a link that might be useful: Frying with oil

o

Can you tell me where you buy your p-nut oil? I used to be able to find it in large containers, but the last time I looked (for deep frying a turkey) all I could find was a 3? 5? gallon jug of some kind of mixed oil. I ended up buying it at an Asian market, but it was quite expensive and only available in quartish sizes.

o

Olychick

We buy ours in a giant container at Costco. It's enough to fill the turkey fryer and costs about $35.

Walmart also sells it in a large size.

o

YOu might look into getting rice bran oil in bulk. It is even better for high heat and is used in Chinese restaurants due to the great high heat qualities that it has. It is also much more healthful. c

Here is a link that might be useful: rice bran oil 5 gallon

o

Look in Aldi around the holidays for p'nut oil. They've had it in 1 gallon size. I've been lucky the past two years and found it in Aldi after the holidays and marked down to clear out.

Don't know what part of the country you live in but Menard's will probably have it. Also, the outdoors' type stores like Gander Mtn, Cabela's & Bass Pro Shop usually stock it in those large 3-5 gallon containers.

Straining after using it will help prolong the life of oil. But when it starts foaming, it's time to toss it.

o

Thanks! Costco... Yay! I'll check there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here