Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proud New Owner Of A Dutch Oven!

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 12:25

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been as active lately. Life's been keeping my parents and I busy.

I am finally happy to own a Dutch oven! Mom bought it for me today at Wal-Mart. I'll include a picture of it later as she's putting groceries away at the moment. It's enameled cast iron. I can't wait to use it. Mom bought a meat pack from our local butcher shop, and one of the cuts they included was 2 lbs. of pork country-style ribs. Going to look up some BBQ rib recipes today :).

Hope everyone is doing well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proud New Owner Of A Dutch Oven!

Here it is! They also have it in red, but blue is one of my favorite colors :). This one is a 6 quart.
Photobucket

Back to looking at recipes! Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

That's beautiful!!! You will love it!...you can make a lovely pork BBQ in it or a delicious pot roast with a good brown gravy!
Congratulations!
Linda C

o

Brad! I'm jealous!! I saw that this morning and wanted it. Enjoy!!

o

Very nice!!!!
I have a red one I purchased at TJMAXX.
Love it....made beef stew yesterday.

Linda

o

Enjoy! You'll use the heck out of it.

o

Brad that is a real beauty. I know that you will put it to good use. Enjoy!!

Ann

o

Certainly a must have! Funny that we appreciated pots and pans to the point of sharing pictures.

o

Thank you, everyone!

I have been wanting one of these for a long time. I see them being used all the time on the cooking shows, especially The Pioneer Woman (she has a very colorful upright mixer as well). I have a couple recipes I could whip up in this little gem. Hot chocolate first comes to mind :D. Still searching around for a good barbecue rib recipe that I can fix in this. I know I'll make some steak in this and maybe pork chops too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I love that flowered mixer of hers, Brad!

o

For curious minds, here's a picture of the mixer.

o

That's a beauty Brad! I have a lime green one and it is my favourite cooking vessel. Soup, stew, and chili come to mind, but they are also great for making toffee or fudge because of the heavy bottom. Enjoy it.
Jane

o

That is a very nice dutch oven, Brad, prettier than my plain old cast iron one. I use mine a lot, I'll bet you will too.

My girls used to like me to make "Coke Chicken", which they learned in Girl Scouts. It's a cup of Coke and a cup of catsup, pour it over a couple of pounds of chicken pieces. I used to add small red potatoes cut in half and baby carrots sometimes too. Put the lid on and cook it for an hour to an hour and a half at 350F, or until the chicken is done. I used to cook it over coals when camping, but the oven works just as well.

Ribs sound yummy, though...

Annie

o

Bumblebeez, thanks for the photo of the Pioneer Woman's mixer! My mom loves it too. We don't have an upright mixer ourselves, but that may be something to consider down the road :).

Tobyt, ooh a lime green one! I have seen them on TV in many colors and so far, my favorite color I have seen on a Dutch oven is orange :). I know the Pioneer Woman (Ree) says she has several of them, and I remember one of hers is purple :). Mom and I like to make peanut butter fudge, so maybe we'll try our next batch in this.

Annie, I just found a recipe for ribs that sounds good. We'll be halving the recipe since we only have 2 lbs. instead of 4 as given in the recipe. I found it, where else, online on a recipe site. "Coke Chicken". That sounds like a a recipe my sister and her family would like :).

Oven Barbequed Spareribs

4 lbs. country style spareribs
2 med. onions, sliced
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. chili sauce
3/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

Place ribs in baking dish. Add onion and salt. Cover with sauce made by combining remaining ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours. Be sure pan has a cover or use aluminum foil to keep ribs from drying out. Recipe may be halved.

I have a baked bean recipe that would work well in my Dutch oven too :). Ah, the possibilites are endless! lol

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, that is one beautiful pot. It has the stainless steel knob which can be used in a high heat oven.

It is perfect for no-knead bread. Just google "Jim Lahey"+bread. Or google, "artisan bread in five". The yummy bread only has 4 ingredients, flour, yeast, salt and water.

Enjoy that awesome blue, blue, blue pot!

o

Brad, the Cok Chicken comes out kind of like BBQ'd chicken, but a very sweet BBQ. That's why the Girl Scouts liked it, plus it had only a few ingredients that they had to carry in their packs, LOL.

The ribs sound delicious and westsider is right, you could make the no knead bread. I haven't quite gotten the hang of that yet, so I can't help on that. Baked beans WOULD be good in it too, I love baked beans.

Annie

o

It's lovely. You're making me hungry just reading that rib recipe!

o

Westsider, the no-knead bread sounds wonderful :). That will be have to be a cooking project for the future.

Annie, LOL that's true about the Coke Chicken. I love baked beans as well. Just got the chili sauce for the rib recipe today at the store. I saw the recipe last night and thought it would be perfect for the Dutch oven.

Here's my baked beans recipe. I haven't made them yet, but it looks very easy.

Country Baked Beans

4 15 oz. cans baked beans, drained
1 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
1 lg. onion, chopped
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked & crumbled
2 c. packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In unsprayed 3 quart baking dish, combine all ingredients and stir until they blend. Bake uncovered for 55 minutes or until hot throughout. Serves 6 to 8.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I love the beautiful blue color of your new dutch oven. Very nice!

I know you will use it often. Let us know how your ribs turned out!

You can also use it to make your own beef broth and/or chicken broth. You'll never buy canned broth again once you make your own!

Linda

o

Congratulations! Just got a new one,similar to yours and in reading the enclosure saw it is not to be put in the dishwasher. Just thought I would pass that on.

o

Love the blue! You will get so much use out of it. I used mine yesterday to make applesauce.

Tracey

o

That's beautiful Brad! You will really enjoy cooking in that. So many ways to use it. I just cooked Dirty Rice in mine yesterday.

o

Thank you again, everyone!

So happy to hear that what they say about Dutch ovens is true :). Mom's going to wash and season it soon (the rim of the oven itself and the lid). We don't have a dishwasher, mom doesn't like them LOL. I love the blue color as well.

I have a couple easy peasy recipes that I can make in it. I may have to look into a few soup and stew recipes as well. Winter is coming and we turn back the clocks tonight.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Just saw this. Clears up my confusion on the other thread. Great looking pot. There's lots of uses for it and you'll be cooking away the days in quiet solitude, except everyone saying "What smells so good?"

o

I also like the blue color of this pot, and I am now considering getting one. My sister has always had one, and she made terrible meals in it, which is one of the reasons I never got one, but I will make different dishes from my sister. I'm not exactly sure where I will store it, but I think there is room in the cabinet above my refrigerator, which I have my stock pots and large baking pans. Something might have to get moved into the garage, which is where I store seasonal cooking item; i.e., ones that I use only once or twice a year but still have to have.

Now that I think about it, I may have already bought a Dutch oven at an estate sale and stored it in the garage. I remember paying $5 for a pan sort of like that last summer, but I think it is perhaps still too small for what I want. It's been a while since I've taken inventory in the garage.

Lars

o
Proud Owner Of A Roasting Pan

I found out that the pot I bought at the estate sale is an oval roasting pan, and so I'm not quite sure how I confused it with a Dutch oven. Kevin said he used to have a DO, but his wife got it in the divorce. I don't think he knew how to use it, but I sort of remember seeing it when I visited them in Albany. As I remember, Kevin was making vegetarian chili in it and burned it - not a happy memory. Anyway, he has agreed that we need to get a new one. Evidently, he liked the one he had, even though he did not know how to use it properly.

I think I bought the roasting pan for cooking a turkey, and so maybe I'll do that for New Year's.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here