Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
He's baaa-aaack!

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 12:25

I'm talking about Hermann - or in this case, Amish Friendship Bread. It's only Day 9 but I just pulled out 4 mini loaves of date bread made with the starter and ummmmm...they are good! My mom asked if I would make mini loaves of quick bread for her to give the aides that take care of my dad, so I'll take her a taste of my loaf and if she likes it she can have the other three to freeze for gifts.

If I ever did this starter, it has been eons ago. I'm not using one cup and giving away the rest. I'm feeding the starter with smaller amounts and keeping it going as long as I can. I found some great web sites that have recipes for cookies, cake, scones, etc. using the starter. There is even a book about it and a nice web site dedicated to the Friendship Bread starter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friendship Bread Kitchen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: He's baaa-aaack!

Your bread has a name? Funny that there is a web site dedicated to Amish Friendship Bread. The recipe for Rum Raisin sounds good. I think the mini loaves are a nice gift for the aides. Be sure to give them some starter -- I mean Hermann -- too.

o
RE: He's baaa-aaack!

No, I didn't name him Hermann - the German version was named Hermann.....called Herman over here. Folks either like to do this sort of baking or they run when they see you coming with a jar of the stuff! My mom really liked the date bread, so I'll be baking more for her to give as gifts.

You can freeze the starter after it is going good, then bake when you feel like it. I don't find it too hard to stir and feed it - as long as I don't have to go out of town.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here