SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Thanksgiving 'fowls'...

as in 'fouls', lol.
Like the common mistake when my sister left the giblet bag inside the turkey....and used old rancid olive oil in EVERYTHING. (she no longer hosts holiday meals)
And one year my dad used salt instead of sugar....
(mom had put salt in a sugar container when the bottom of the salt container got wet...)

I do most of the cooking now but work and a snow storm changed our plans and we stayed home...predicted in advance following the weather.

We had fresh ducks delivered. Extra liver, feets, and necks.
Brined late wed night, hung thurs morning...made stock for gravy and for a wild rice and mushroom dressing...roasted root veggies, bourbon cranberry...all our favorites.

I pulled out misc zip-locks of bread for the dressing from the freezer...all fresh and homemade from the past few weeks, and homemade stock to thaw a bit. All in a big bowl as i prepped the sauteed veg...celery onion leeks mushrooms. Wild rice and mixed grain cooked. What i thought was my toasted brown bread was actually dog treats, lol. dehydrated lamb lung, haha. Caught it just in time after a sniff test.

Reminds me of the holiday a few years ago when my pup was a puppy and i had little cracker training treats on the counter for guest to use when she was jumpy...dad found them and thought they were a a nice savory human snack.

Comments (14)