SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My turkey was a turkey!

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

For several years we had Thanksgiving just with our immediate young family and a turkey breast sufficed.

Kids are becoming eaters, and plus this year we moved venues and hosted relatives, and so I cooked a turkey breast the night before, and a 15-lb turkey the day of.

The whole turkey was a show stopper. Draped in cheesecloth and basted in madeira and butter, gorgeously browned. I followed the directions (started in a 400 degree oven, turned it down to 325) to a "T" but it cooked much sooner than expected.

The problem was, the turkey breast cooked wonderfully (thermometer in) but the rest of the turkey was a bit pink (so we did not serve it; good thing for our back up second breast which i reheated in stock). We took it out when the breast meat registered 173 (per instructions). I didn't even think to wiggle the legs but honestly we all prefer breast meat so I would not have risked that getting over done anyway. I tented it for 30 minutes, then carved.

What should I do differently next time if I want to present a whole lovely browned turkey, with all of it edible and moist?

Comments (11)