SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Old Welbuilt vs Zojirushi: grainlady, others?

chas045
9 years ago

I just saw the old post about Zojirushis, and it made me wonder if any of you had compared them to the original bread making machines. I started with the original DAK or Welbuilt round loaf, glass dome unit and am still using an identical appearing unit that has a few minor programing additions. I have seldom made high whole wheat breads that might bog down some machines, but the Welbuilt appears to be very powerful to me. I never bake in the bread machine.

I picked up a second hand Zo ('The Bakery'; a vertical pan unit) a year ago and ran it thru a complete baking. I couldn't see or hear anything that made me think it would be better at mixing or kneading, but again, I wasn't using whole wheat. I also noted that it didn't start off running at speed, but did some very brief mixing motions for awhile. I may have missed a way to defeat this, but I determine liquid ratio by immediate observation, and the slow mix was wasting my time. I also noted that the basic kneading and stop cycle was just that; while the old Welbuilt goes thru two cycles (mix/knead; rise; knead; stop).

So: I know that many of you are partial to the Zos, but does anyone else remember the old Welbuilts? What did/do you think?

Comment (1)