Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple dessert to prepare today

Posted by olga_6b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 12:03

Need robust recipe for apple cake, bars or any other apple dessert (not pie), which can be prepared day before and does not have corn syrup in it (allergy).
My oven will be booked tomorrow for turkey, dressing and side dishes, so need something that I can prepare today. I had plans for something, but it didn't work, so need a substitute. Linda's cake with gravy looks really good, but I am not sure if it can be baked in advance.
Thank you.
Olga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple dessert to prepare today

Here are two that may work for you. The cobbler can be baked ahead and warmed up or served at room temp.

Apple Walnut Cobbler
Source BH&G January 1997

5 c tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 c chopped walnuts
3/4 c sugar, divided
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c evaporated milk I had no evap milk so subbed cream. Worked fine
1/3 c butter or margarine, melted
Half & Half or light cream (Optional)

Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish. Spread the apples in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 c walnuts, 1/4 c sugar and the cinnamon. In medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 c sugar and baking powder.

In small bowl, combine the egg, milk and melted butter. Stir egg mixture into the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour evenly over the apples, sprinkle with remaining walnuts.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm, cut into squares. If desired, serve with half & half or cream.
9 servings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREAMY DUTCH APPLE DESSERT

1/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 c. (8 oz.) sour cream
1 (3 oz.) cream cheese
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 can apple pie filling
1/4 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish (10 x 6 inch) melt butter in oven. Sprinkle in crumbs; stir well. Press on bottom of dish. In medium bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk, sour cream and lemon juice and cream cheese. Spread evenly over crumbs.

Spoon pie filling evenly over creamy layer. Sprinkle with walnuts that have been mixed with the cinnamon. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until set. May be served warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.

Variations: Omit cinnamon, substitute blueberry, cherry or peach pie filling for apple pie filling.

Linda

o

Thank you very much. I can try cobbler. Dutch dessert look wonderful, but I bet canned applle filling contains corn syrup. Almost all pie fillings usually do.
Olga

o

I recently posted a T & T apple cake recipe on the thread below. It's fine to make a day ahead of time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Cake

o

You can always use fresh apples & make your own filling. Just peel, core, slice, add sugar to taste, a bit of cinnamon/nutmeg & simmer until the apples are tender & the filling has thickened.

/tricia

o

Tricia, thanks. That is what I do for my apple pie :).
I did Ruthanna's cake. It was easy and tastes great. I didn't do caramel icing, because it is already very sweet and tastes great. Will serve it as squares. Probably will do some whipped cream topping tomorrow to serve for those who think they need it. To me it is just great, as is. Thank you very much, Ruthanna.
Olga

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here