Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I looooove lemon!

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 11:58

Having a group for lunch today...cutting the lemon bars and arranging them on a footed dish.
One for me....one for the plate...I looove lemon bars! What's your favorite lemon dessert?

LEMON BARS DELUXE
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
2 sticks butter
4 beaten eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 350�.
Whisk together 2 cups of the flour & the confectioners' sugar.
Cut in the butter until the mixture clings together. Press the dough into a 13x9x2" baking dish.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar & lemon juice. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup flour with the baking powder; stir into the egg mixture & pour over the hot baked crust. Bake for 25 minutes longer. Remove from the oven & sprinkle w/confectioners' sugar. Cool. Cut into squares

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I looooove lemon!

Lemon Icebox Pie from P. Allen Smith

1 1/4 cup graham cracker
4 tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup butter, unsalted, melted
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

Begin by making the graham cracker crust. For me a lemon pie just isn't the same with any other type of crust. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar, and then add the melted butter. Stir this together until you have a crumbly mixture. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and bake at 350 dgrees F for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Pour sweetened condensed milk into a medium sized bowl and gradually add lemon juice and grated rind. Stir this until well blended and then pour into cool graham cracker crust.

Now you are ready to make the meringue. In large bowl, add the egg whites and the cream of tartar. Beat until all the egg white turns into foam. Add the four tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff enough to hold a peak, but not dry. Pour the mixture on top of the pie filling and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes.

After removing the pie from the oven, chill it in the refrigerator until the filling sets. This usually takes a little over an hour.

Lemon Chess Pie - Southern US Version

Mix in a blender or deep bowl with an immersion (stick) blender:

3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup melted margarine (that is 5 tablespoons)
1/3 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 TB corn meal
juice and grated rind of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

one 9" pie crust in a 9" pie plate

Blend as each item is added. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350* F, for 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is set and dark golden brown. Bake on shelf in middle or below middle in oven. Cool on a wire rack before cutting and serving.

Teresa

o

Linda, check out the link below. I just found this recipe and thought it sounded good...

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Bar Cookie Cups

o

Lemon brownies.
I found the recipe here a couple of years ago.

o

Lemon pasta. Had this sitting outside in a little cafe in Amalfi, Italy last year--so simple, so fresh, so tasty! I need to find a recipe.

o

I love lemon bars. Where do you live, again? Will there be any left?

o

Lemon cake with lemon curd between the layers. 7 minute frosting and then covered in sweet coconut. That has been my birthday cake ever since I was a young girl. Have it every year. Love, Love, Love lemon anything! NancyLouise

o

I love lemon bars, but have never made them. I should!

We like the Lemon Bundt Cake.

This is a very popular cake in my family!!
Zesty and refreshing. Stores, freezes and travels well.

1 lemon cake mix
1 instant lemon pudding mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
4 eggs

Glaze
Combine 3/4 cup icing sugar with juice of 1 lemon

Mix everything well and pour in a greased and floured Bundt pan.

Bake at 325 degrees 1 hour. Let cool in pan for a few minutes and set on a cooling rack set over a cookie sheet.
Poke holes in the cake with a fork, and drizzle glaze over top and down the sides.
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Marita, this recipe of Gina's is wonderful. I've done it with chicken as well.

Lemon Linguine With Scampi (Gina)

3/4 Lb linguine
3 Tbl unsalted butter
2 1/2 Tbl good olive oil
1 1/2 Tbl minced garlic (4 cloves)
1 Lb large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 Cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 lemon, zest grated
1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
1/8 Tsp hot red pepper flakes

Cook pasta to al dente.

Meanwhile, in a large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.

When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

Note: I add some chicken broth to get more sauce.

o

I made this rustic lemon tart and we liked it.

Photobucket

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic lemon tart

o

I love lemon bars too.I will eat lemon anything! I guess my all time favorite is lemon poppy seed muffins or bread. I love to have it with my morning coffee.
Clare

o

I love lemon too!

Lemon Yogurt Cake
2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar (I use 1/3 c confectioners sugar)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I use 1/3 c lemon juice)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for ramekins
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2-3 Meyer or regular lemons
3 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted and cooled
1 cup whole milk
1 pint raspberries, for garnish
Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease eight 4- to 5-ounce ramekins; sprinkle with sugar to coat bottoms and sides. Shake out any excess.

In small bowl, whisk flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt. grate 1 1/2 tablespoons peel and squeeze 1/2 cup juice. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks and lemon peel and juice. Whisk in butter and milk. Gradually whisk in flour mixture.

In another large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add one-third beaten whites to yolk mixture and, with rubber spatula, stir gently until incorporated. Gently fold in remaining whites until just incorporated. With ladle, divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins.

Arrange ramekins 1 inch apart in large (17-inch by 13-inch) roasting pan. Fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Carefully transfer pan to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes are golden brown and tops rise 1/2 inch above rims.

Cool cakes in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. With sturdy metal spatula, carefully remove ramekins from pan with water and transfer to wire rack to cool 15 minutes longer.

Run thin knife around edge of 1 ramekin. Place small serving plate on top of ramekin and invert plate and ramekin together; remove ramekin. Repeat with remaining ramekins. Garnish each cake with a couple of raspberries and a mint sprig; serve warm.

Lemon Butter Bars
Source: Land-O-Lakes

Crust
1 c AP flour
1/2 c butter, softened
1/4 c sugar

Filling
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
3 T lemon juice
2 T AP flour
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp baking powder

Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all crust ingredients in a small bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into bottom of ungreased 8x8-inch square baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Meanwhile combine all filling ingredients except powdered sugar in small bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often until well mixed. Pour filling over hot crust. Bake 18-20 minutes or until filling is set.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm and again when cool. Cut into squares.

Makes 16 bars.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Lemon Curd Bars
Source: Midwest Living December 2006

1 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 10-12 oz jar lemon curd
2/3 c flaked coconut
1/2 c sliced or slivered almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 375F.
In large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add flour and baking powder, beat until combined and mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 2/3 cup of crumb mixture, and set aside. Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake 5-8 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, spread lemon curd over crust, to within � inc of edges of pan.
In bowl, mix reserved crumb mixture with coconut and almonds. Sprinkle over the lemon curd. Bake for 18-20 minutes more or until edges are golden and topping is browned.

Cool and cut into squares. Makes 32 bars.

Linda

o

I don't have Doucanoe/Linda's recipe for Lemoncello so here goes:

Limoncello
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello
You can make this with any citrus. The key is using the best and freshest citrus possible. Fruit that has been in storage a long time gives a muddy taste to the drink.
Prep Time:
15 min

Ingredients:

• 12 Meyer lemons, or a mixture of lemons and limes, peel only, No pith, it will make the recipe bitter
  • 3 sprigs lavender, optional but lovely
  • 2 liters light rum or vodka- Use 100-proof vodka, which has less flavor than a lower proof one. Also the high alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello will not turn to ice in the freezer.
  • 6 cups sugar
  • 3 cups water

Directions:
    Put the lemon peels, lavender, if using, and rum or vodka in a container and let stand for 4 weeks. In a large glass jar (1-gallon jar), add one bottle of vodka; add the lemon zest as it is zested. Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least (10) ten days and up to (40) days in a cool dark place.

The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (There is no need to stir - all you have to do is wait.) As the limoncello sits, the vodka slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.
    Strain the mixture into a decanter.

•  o

I love lemon too! Here is one of my favorites from Once Upon A Tart

Baked Lemon Tart

3 large eggs
    3 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    Zest of 1 lemon
    3/4 cup lemon juice (juice of 4 lemons)
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    1 par-baked 9 inch Flaky Tart Crust

1. Position your oven racks so there is one in the center, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Whisk the eggs and yolks together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the sugar with one hand while continuing to whisk with the other. Still whisking, pour in the lemon zest and juice, then the cream. Pour this lemon custard into you par-baked tart shell. It should come to 1/8 inch from the top edge of the tart. You may have a little leftover custard, which you can bake in small ramekins � a little treat for yourself.
    3. Place the tart on the center rack of the oven, taking care not to spill the custard, and bake the tart for 25 �30 minutes, or until filling is firm to the touch and doesn�t jiggle when you shake the pan.
    4. Remove the tart from the oven, and set it on a wire rack to cool slightly.
    5. To remove the tart from the pan, the pan, rest it on a big can, Make sure the tart is steady and balanced. Slide the outside ring of the pan down off the tart. Move the tart to your work surface, and slide the tart off the pan bottom onto a rimless serving dish or cutting board. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

o

Oh chase that looks very good! Thanks for the recipe!

o

NOTE TO SELF: Tomorrow make JASDIP's Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemoncello glaze.

o

I adore lemon, I'm salivating looking at all of your pictures !!
    all I have for my sweet tooth tonight are peppermint lifesavers :(

o

Marita,

I've made this many times and we like it a lot. It was posted in a thread on the Cooking Forum a few years ago - I don't know who posted it and I googled "Thymes & Pleasures" but didn't find any useful information, unless it actually comes from the cookbook with the similar name. It's not saucy but the lemon flavor really permeates the pasta. With a grinding of black pepper and some grated parmesan and fresh chpped parsley on each serving, it makes a nice side dish.

Lee

LEMON SPAGHETTI (serves 4)

8 oz vermicelli, cooked
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup milk, heated
    3 TBL butter
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan

combine hot cooked pasta & lemon juice in a saucepan over low heat, stirring to blend. Let stand 1 minute. Stir in milk, butter & cheese. Serve immediately.~~From Thymes & Pleasures.

FROM GARDENWEB - FAVORITE LEMON DISHES

o

Almost forgot about this one. Can't remember where I got it, but these are SOOOOOO good!

Copying and pasting several of these recipes, thanks everyone!

White Chocolate Lemon Truffles

1 cup white chocolate
    5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
    3 Tbsp. heavy cream
    pinch salt
    1 tsp. lemon extract
    icing sugar, for dusting

Melt chocolate, butter and cream over a double boiler or in a microwave. Stir until smooth.

Stir in salt and extract. Allow to cool slightly before covering with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.

With a melon baller or small spoon scoop out mixture and form into 1 inch balls. Toss with icing sugar to coat.
    Store covered in the fridge for up to one week. Freeze for longer storage.
    Makes: 24

* Using unsalted butter allows you to control the salty flavour of these truffles. The pinch of salt helps to cut through the sweetness of the white chocolate. If you decide to use salted butter make sure to omit the pinch of salt called for in the recipe or they will be far too salty.

* If you want to amp up the yellow color, stir in some yellow food coloring along with the extract and salt.

Linda

o

Lemon Sponge Pudding Cake: my recipe is a little simpler than doucanoe's and too delicate to unmold. We eat it with lots of heavy whipped cream.

Homemade lemonade: Meyer lemons make the BEST lemonade! We have three trees, all mature. It's shaping up to be one of the better harvest years, too. I just picked 5 gallons for our first Winter 2012 harvest and there is soooooo much fruit on the trees, my friends will be happy with all the Meyers I'm going to send them over the next five months.

The day after Thanksgiving our family went to Aziza in San Francisco with some visiting relatives. We're all foodies and Mourad Lahlou's California-Moroccan fusion food is absolutely amazing. The vegetarian in our party received a lemon couscous with fried maitake mushrooms that was the best thing on the table! We were so envious, despite having three different meat/fish entrees to eat. He had to guard his plate against eight people covetously eyeing his couscous, LOL.

Lahlou's recipe for couscous (plain, I think) is in his cookbook, and it is TEN PAGES LONG. I love to cook but no way am I going to spend hours making it. But it absolutely blows away the commercial boxed stuff! It was light, fluffy, tiny little grains and deeply infused with preserved Meyer lemon flavor. We've had lemon-flavored fresh pasta many times, but Aziza's couscous blew away every other lemon-flavored starch we've had before.

Lemons are extremely important in Moroccan and Mediterranean cooking. Preserved lemons offer a different flavor than using fresh lemon juice or zest. Recipes will use one or the other, not both.

I'll link to his cookbook, but Lahlou's cooking has changed noticeably over the last two years. It is much less Moroccan, and much more CA fusion. His branzino with Korean chile/smoked jalapeno sauce at our post-Thanksgiving dinner was one of the most amazing dishes we've ever tasted.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Moroccan cooking by Mourad Lahlou

o

doucanoe - I love that pic of your Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake. And not because I like desserts - but I love that Monax Petalware plate by MacBeth Evans. I think we have even had a discussion about that plate on this forum before. Your camera picked up the bluish cast in the transluscent white plate perfectly!

o

Lee - Your post sent me a-googling, and I came across a thread from 2005 where Ginger St. Thomas posted that recipe. While I myself don't remember Ginger much save for her famous crock pot French dip sandwiches which I love, seeing some of the posters there is a blast from the past. (Daisyduckworth, if you're still reading, I'm waving at you!)

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon thread from forever ago

o

And the lemon bars I made, I believe are Ginger's recipe.

o

Wow FOAS, I didn't think it was that long ago. Thanks for finding it and linking. I didn't save the whole thread then, but I will now. Like you, I'll find it fun to see posters from the past.

Lemon is one of my favorite flavors, for me it's right up there with ginger and dark chocolate.

Lee

o

Frozen Lemon Cream Sandwiches - all ingredients at Trader Joes!

one 7-oz container chilled creme fraiche
    1/4 cup lemon curd
    finely grated zest of one lemon
    12 crisp butter waffle cookies
    1/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios

Line a small baking sheet with wax paper. In a chilled bowl, beat the creme fraiche with the lemon curd and zest until firm peaks form.
    Arrange half of the cookies on the baking sheet and spoon the lemon cream onto the centers, letting it ooze gently to the edges. Top w/the remaining cookies, pressing down very gently. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and freeze the sandwiches until firm, at least 4 hrs.
    Spread the nuts on a plate and roll the edges of the sandwiches in them.

6 servings

(Can be frozen in an airtight container up to one week.)

o

As usual, perfect timing on your part, LindaC.

I picked 2 crates of lemons from a friend's tree last Saturday. I have only juiced out one crate-full - ending up with 30 ziploc bags with 1 cup of juice in each in the freezer. I have given away most of the second crate, but now I am inspired! Thanks for this thread!

o

This is one of my favorite gluten-free cookie recipes.

Gluten-free White Chocolate Lemon Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup Unsalted Butter, slightly softened
    3/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1/2 cup White Sugar
    2 Eggs
    1/2 tsp Almond Extract
    2 Tbs Lemon Zest
    2 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
    3/4 cup Sorghum Flour
    3/4 cup Rice Flour
    1/2 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
    1/2 cup Potato Starch
    1 tsp Baking Soda
    1/2 tsp Baking Powder
    1 tsp Xanthan Gum
    1/2 tsp Salt
    12 oz White Chocolate, chips or chopped

Optional Sugar Roll:

1/2 cup Fine Sugar mixed with 1 Tbs lemon zest.

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum together with a whisk and set aside.
    Using an electric mixer beat the butter until creamy, and add the sugars, blending well.
    Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating each well.
    Add the almond extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
    Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
    Gently stir in the white chocolate. The dough will be soft, and slightly sticky. You can work with it as is, or refrigerate it for an hour or two to make it easier to work with.
    Spoon (I used a small scoop) a full tablespoon of dough and roll gently into a 1" ball.
    Optionally, you can roll the ball into the sugar-zest mixture. Not necessary, but a nice touch.

Bake on parchment paper-lined cookies sheets approximately 12-13 minutes until the edges start to get golden. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack.

These can be served as is, sprinkled with powdered sugar, or drizzled with a mix of 1/2 cup powdered sugar mixed with 1-2 Tbs lemon juice.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog post for this cookie

o

Yeah....lots of great sounding recipes here....And I don't have a lemon tree, so it'll cost me a bundle!

o

ldr2002, thanks for the recipe! In fact, the pasta I'm remembering from Italy was as simple as your recipe--no seafood or meat at all.

I'm printing out this entire thread! Love all the recipes!

o

This recipe is one of my mother's that she used to make when she invited friends over for tea. The cornstarch gives the cookies a delicate texture.

LEMON SNOWFLAKES - makes 4 dozen

1 cup softened butter
    1/4 tsp. lemon extract
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    3/4 cup cornstarch
    1 1/2 cups flour
    2 tsp. grated lemon rind
    1 cup finely chopped walnuts

FROSTING:
    1 cup confectioners sugar
    2 Tbs. melted butter
    1 Tbs. lemon juice

Cream butter and extract; combine next four ingredients and gradually mix into butter. Chill one hour. Divide dough and shape into 48 balls. Drop one side of balls into chopped nuts. Remove balls and flatten the side without nuts with the bottom of a glass lightly dipped in flour. Put on greased cookie sheets, nut side up (I use parchment paper instead of greasing.). Bake at 350 about 7-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Cool on wire rack and spread with frosting.

Photobucket

o

Here is a great thread from the recipe exchange, long ago. What a trip down memory lane!

Here is a link that might be useful: RecipeX lemon thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here