SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

I need Heart Healthy Help/substitutions

magothyrivergirl
14 years ago

My DH had (emergency) heart surgery a few weeks ago. He has always had high cholesterol & taken meds & kept it somewhat under control, but he is a lap swimmer, not overweight, no high BP, non smoker - so a shock to us. He was lucky he paid a little attention to some signs. He has many clogged arteries :(.

I am a very good cook - that's why I'm here :), we eat healthy, but not healthy enough. I jokingly say The Food Network and this forum caused me to throw caution to the wind & cook with sauces, cream and all the bad stuff~LOL~ The Cardiac Docs didn't say diet was a contributing factor, but I know we have to eliminate those foods.

So, I am asking for your quick help for suggestions for heart healthy, delicious substitutions for cream sauces, how to produce cream of whatever soups, creamy salad dressings-is there a healthy blue cheese salad dressing recipe? And any other advice you want to give me. I am not a baker, but we do like dessert occasionally.

I have never cooked with many processed foods, or envelopes of salty packages of flavorings, but admit to keeping the dreaded Cream of Mushroom soup in my pantry. Butter & cream & cheese is my downfall.

I welcome any & all suggestions; I have already ordered the newest American Heart Assoc Cookbook and I know the guidelines for healthy eating we should be following........I need help from this collective group of fine cooks to learn the tricks and substitutions that we can live with. My DH loves to eat ~ eating delicious( mostly healthy) meals as a family has always been a priority in our house.

I appreciate your time answering. I know this isn't an easy request.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH