Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lasagna pan / roaster for small oven

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 11:56

We have an old (late-60s) double oven and each one is small, measuring just 17x17" inside. I'm looking for a new non-aluminum lasagna pan that will fit in this oven. I'd also like a nice roasting pan but the handles must be the type that stand upright rather than outward. It would be nice to find one pan for the same purposes.

Since a roasting pan should have 2 inches between the edges of the pan and the walls of the oven, that amounts to a roasting pan no longer than 13 inches.

It's just the two of us and we don't cook huge turkeys for large groups. I can use both ovens to cook two pans of lasagna. So, I really don't need a huge pan, just a good one that fits in this oven.

I don't mind paying more for lasting quality. I've read comments about new Pyrex dishes exploding in the oven (and that they're using a different material in their glass now). Quality stoneware or stainless steel is what I'm looking for - NOT aluminum or non-stick.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lasagna pan / roaster for small oven

Mario Batali's enameled cast iron lasagna/roaster might fit the bill. If this is the same one I have, the dimensions are a bit misleading. 9x13 are internal dimentions, it's more like 9.75x15.75 when you include the lipped handles. But they're curved so I don't think they'd impede airflow too much. Probably fine in your oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: at crate and barrel - but i payed less somewhere

o

Thank you -- that's one I've seen and am considering. I love the beautiful color, simple design and the deep sides.

o

Cuisinart has one slightly less expensive & also a bit smaller. I like the red one better! (smile)

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart Cast Iron

o

I have that pan ($38 on Amazon God Box Deal) on a recommendation from AnnT. I love it when I am making a VERY LARGE lasagna because it is so deep.

What I am on the look out for is a deep lasagna pan that I can use for just the two of us--like a loaf pan but with straight not slanted sides. I want to make several lasagnas, freeze them, Foodsaver them, then pull out of freezer as needed.

o

In order to save space in the oven, I've often used my stainless steel 9x13-inch cake pan (similar to the one at the link below) or my stainless steel lasagna pan for roasting a small turkey or turkey breast in for years. I nearly always roast in an oven bag (I get a lot more drippings/juice that way), so being shallow isn't a problem when it comes to splattering, and the meat is self-basting in the bag so no foil tent necessary.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless Steel Cake Pan and Cover - Amazon.com

o

Thank you for the suggestions!

mustangs: Which one do you have (two different pans are recommended prior to your reply).

o

Jenn, Sorry, Tricia and I were posting at the same time. I have Mario Batali's enameled cast iron lasagna pan.

o

Thanks mustangs; I've had my eye on that one for the size and appearance. I'll look for a good deal on it --- lucky you! :)

o

I have the Batili pan also and while it is a little pricey, well worth it. I certainly didn't get Mustangs price although I got a good deal through Amazon. I have the orange and will be baking the Thanksgiving dressing in it.

o
Pan

I was luck because I recognized the hint that Amazon gives for the daily deals. My penalty for getting the great price was having to get it in green. Also, I sat on the Amazon website for 50 minutes to make sure that I hit the "add to cart" button 1 second after it was available--I think there were only 3 offered.

o

I noticed Amazon doesn't carry the pan anymore, it's unavailable.
Mustangs, I've done crazy stuff like that before! It can be worth it and it's fun. For 38, definitely!
I paid 138 for the roaster and 5 quart dutch oven, bought at the same time w/free shipping, of course

o

Today only (until 11:59 PT, 11/22/11), Williams Sonoma has free shipping on select items. One item is a Le Creuset Stoneware pan. It is also marked down. There are several sizes, but the largest 9 x 12 is $55. Below is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS Le Creuset Stoneware pan

o

I've read good things about Emile Henry pans, this one is 11 x 14.5 and safe up to 500 degrees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emile Henry baking dish

o

jenn, Aldi has enameled cast iron on sale next week. Here is their description of their roaster/lasagna pan:

Kitchen Living Roasting Pan
$19.99
13" x 9" x 2.6"
Compare to Le Creuset
High-Quality Cast Iron Cookware. Exclusively at ALDI.
Available in Red or Blue
Porcelain Enamel Coated
Perfect Results With Cast Iron Cookware
- Distributes heat evenly and has excellent heat retention
- No need to season the cookware before using or after
washing
- Coating is sealed; will not absorb other flavors or odors
Two-year manufacturer's limited warranty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aldi ad

o

Thank you for the additional suggestions. I am also looking at the Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron Rectangular Baking Dish. I don't own any LC cook/bakeware but have read so many raves about it here. This one can go from freezer to oven and even handle stovetop cooking for making gravy. It is a very heavy dish (even without food) and $$$, but would serve dual roles as lasagna pan and roaster. I have 2 Amazon.com gift cards (and possibly one more on the way for Christmas!) so that would help quite a bit.

I haven't been able to determine if it can take high heat in the oven (500F).... does anyone know?

Can anyone comment on this dish and if the extra price is worth it?

o

Bbstx, thanks for the heads up about the Aldis sale. I now have a beautiful new red roasting pan, will use it to make cornbread, maybe learn how to make casserole. I wanted the fry pan too, but it wasn't enameled on the inside, just black seasoned.

o

Jenn - this week Aldi has the porcelain clad cast iron cookware. They have a pan that looks just like the pic that FOAS posted. Many people here rave about the quality of these pieces. I think the pan is either $19.99 or $29.99.

Teresa

o

Jenn...I couldn't in good concience buy that $200 Le Cruset pan when aldi has one so similar for $20...
I have my share of le C....perhaps more than my share..;-B but that's a lotta moolah for a baking pan without a lid....no matter how sexy!

o

I'm not a big Rachel Ray fan, but her stoneware lasagna pan is 9x13 and might work well for you. It has those nice big handle holes and they're upright. It's also fairly thin for stoneware so would be a lot lighter than cast iron and even other nice stoneware. If weight is not a consideration, I'd probably check out the Aldi's offerings. I have a number of le Cruset, but I also have several low cost enameled cast iron pots and they've worked quite well for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue lasagna pan/other colors available

o

Regarding the Aldi cookware... in comparing it with LC I don't see a temperature range for the Aldi or if it can go on the stove top for gravy. LC's pan is safe up to 500F.

Teresa - I don't see all the information you listed on the Aldi site -- where did you find that?

o

It's a promotional item this week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aldi Cookware

o

Well I was all set to get the Aldi roasting pan, but there isn't an Aldi store anywhere in my state of California! :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here