Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you buy your frozen turkey?

Posted by caminnc (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 11:53

I have always bought my turkey on Saturday or Sunday before Thanksgiving but sometimes it still has little ice crystals in it. I guess my question is how soon can I buy my turkey, keep it in the fridge before cooking it? I don't want it to go bad in the fridge but I would like it nice and thawed out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you buy your frozen turkey?

Forgot to say about an 18 lb. turkey.

o

Today because I had a free turkey coupon, but I wanted butterball so I got 80 cents off per pound,Im happy.

o

So are you putting in the fridge or freezer? Thanks!

o

I was wondering the same thing earlier. The Butterball site says 4-5 days for that size, so one more day sounds perfect, certainly not long enough for it go to bad, and daggone it, it better be completely thawed this time! I'm getting ours Friday. I'll know from just looking at that chart that 21 pounds is about the limit for buying that day.

o

You can order a fresh one and then you will not have to wait for it to thaw. If you are planning to do the "dry salt" method of roasting, you will need to pick it up on Monday, November 19 to start the salting process. Personally, I am not cooking a whole turkey this year. If you wanted to dry salt a frozen turkey, you would need to start thawing it on Sunday at the latest.

Lars

o

To answer the original question, when do I buy my frozen turkey: Whenever it's on a good sale. As long as it's frozen, I can throw it in my freezer and keep for awhile. We usually buy two or three at Thanksgiving time so that we will have a turkey for Christmas and Easter, and (if we are hosting), Thanksgiving as well.

Donn

o

I like that idea.

o

You can also speed the thawing by the cold water method. An 18# turkey would take about 9 hours by their chart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Thawing Hints from the National Turkey Federation

o

I like to purchase turkey early so that I can get the small 8-10 pound ones. Usually buy two. I like the small ones, because they are younger and just more flavorful and tender to me.

o

BTW, a "fresh" turkey needs to be thawed unless you want to cook from a frozen state. All "fresh" means is that it's kept no colder than 26°F. A 26° bird still needs some thawing under most recipes, although some do cook birds from the frozen state.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here