Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to 'finish' a sponge cake?

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 11:42

I finally, finally have figured out the right technique and ingredients for an orange spongecake I have been fiddling with for this past year. I love it! But when I went to put something on it... it wasn't what it was or could've been :( The chocolate glaze I put on it did nothing to enhance it, but instead, detracted. Hm.

Are sponge cakes normally finished with a sprinkling of powdered sugar? Or something else? Do you know of a good recipe that would make it even better? Should I leave it well enough alone? I'm so confused!!! I'm not really a baker, or creator of recipes, so my vision is a bit limited here. Had a sudden thought--what about a sprinkling of cocoa mixed with powdered sugar?

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to 'finish' a sponge cake?

I have a recipe for a Brazilian Sponge type cake that uses a Rum glaze.... maybe something like that using Gran Marnier or some other orange based liquor?

Alexa

Rum Soaked Sponge Cake (Bôlo Bêbado - Brazil)
Cake Batter
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 large eggs (at room temperature)

Put all ingredients into a food process or blender and process until the batter is smooth and well blended.

Grease the bottom and sides of a nonstick 8- or 9-inch square cake pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the upper rack in a preheated 350 degree F oven until golden and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.

Remove the cake from the oven to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the syrup.

After syrup is made, run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Then turn the cake out onto a large serving platter. Pour the rum syrup over the cake and allow it to cool.

Serve the sponge cake at room temperature or chilled, plain or with the garnish of your choice.

Rum-Flavored Syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cachaça or white rum

Put all ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, and then remove from the heat.

Garnish
Fresh fruit, fruit complete or
confectioners' sugar (optional)

If using confectioners' sugar, make sure the cake is cool or it will melt into the cake.

o

I could do that. I bet it would be good topped with fresh fruit. Hm. Sounds good! Thanks Alexa, you're a peach.

o

I always think trifle. Custard, fruit, booze...yum.

o

I make a lemon sponge cake filling that might be useful as sort of a frosting. It's simply whipped cream with lemon curd whipped in when the cream is almost done. For an orange sponge, you could probably whip in some marmalade or just some orange flavoring to make an orange whipped cream and frost with that.

o

Barnmom that sounds really good! I love all custard things. Mmm. Knowing me, I'd do that a day or two after serving the original cake, just to get more bang for my buck. Twofer.

petra, you make me think a lemon curd/lime zest might be good on it, so that it's a "citrus" spongecake. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here