Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help locatingT&T roasted vegetable medley?

Posted by lizbeth-gardener (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 11:39

IIRC someone posted a roasted winter vegetable dish that sounded delicious. Would love to do one to take to T-day dinner. Haven't had any luck with a search.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help locatingT&T roasted vegetable medley?

I am sure you'll get several replies, there are lots of good recipes for roasted vegetables.

Here is one for starters. I am not a huge fan of parsnips so I change up the veggies when I make it. You can really use any veggetables you like.

Maple Roasted Vegetables
From Cuisine at Home Holiday Menus

1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c maple syrup
1 lb rutabaga, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
1 lb baby carrots
1 lb turnips, quartered
1 lb parsnips, quartered lengthwise
1 red onion, cut into wedges
Salt & pepper to taste
Chopped fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.

Whisk oil and syrup together in a small bowl. Combine prepared vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with oil/syrup mixture. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, toss to coat. Divide vegetables between baking sheets and roast in oven until tender and browned, about 45 minutes.

Sprinkle with thyme before serving.

Linda

o

I do it even simpler....
Peeled chunks of carrots and butternuts quash, and peeled chunks of rutabega, fat slices of sweet onion, and peeled quarters of apple.
No particular quantity...I make it mostlys quash...
drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little grated fresh ginger......roast at 375 until the rutabega are fork tender and ....by then everything else will be too.

o

This is delicious. It's from the Simply Recipes blog. I think the only thing I changed in the recipe is that I always add other root vegetables along with the parsnips. You don't really taste the horseradish in an intrusive way. It's one of our favorites.

Judi

Roasted Parsnips from Simply Recipes blog
==================================================
Note that parsnips at the end of the season (February vs. November) can have a woodier center, which no amount of cooking can soften. If this is the case with your parsnips, you might want to cut some of the center part out and discard before cooking.

1 1/2 pounds of parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 1/2 inch batons
4 teaspoons oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup of chicken broth, or more as needed
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened; or olive oil
4 teaspoons horseradish
1/2 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 Tbsp minced chives
1/2 small garlic clove, minced

Pre-heat oven to 400�F.

1. Toss parsnips with oil. Add the broth, roast, stirring once or twice, until the parsnips are tender and the stock has evaporated or been absorbed, 30-45 minutes (depending on how tender the parsnips are to begin with). Check often to avoid their getting mushy - especially if they are to be reheated later.

2. Combine butter, horseradish, parsley and chives. Toss with parsnips and serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Vegetables

o

doucanoe, Thanks for the recipe. It sounds good and easy.

Lindaac: Glad to know it's that simple, should make it easier to incorporate into my meals.

caboodle: Thanks for the recipe and the info on parsnips. It's not a vegetable I've eaten often and wonder when I see them in the store how to tell if they are woody or not. Didn't think about their season.

Am looking forward to trying these recipes and adding more variety to my vegetable menus. I love roasted veggies, but have never made them myself. Thanks again!

o

I do roasted veg all the time--everyone loves them, and by "everyone" I mean my teenagers and Hubs, my MIL goes nuts over them whenever they're served. You don't even need a recipe--just take your fave root vegetables, cut them up in whatever way you please, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and anything else you like and roast in a 400 degree oven till done. I often do this with potatoes, parsnips, carrots and onions. I've also roasted off cauliflower and/or broccoli this way and it's delicious.

Cj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here