Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to roast Turkey breast without drying it out?

Posted by petra (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 11:26

I bought a 6.7 pound turkey breast (a fresh breast, not injected with anything) for those who want turkey instead of brisket (or both, ha). But I've never prepared breast only, just the whole turkey.

A friend told me she doesn't do turkey breast only as it always dries out, which I am hoping to avoid.

I googled it and some people brine them, others rub with spices and wrap with foil, others roast uncovered after rubbing with spices and oil. What has been the best, juiciest method for those of you who've prepared just the breast?

I have to slow-bake the brisket today which will take around 6 hours, plus I have to make the cake and pies, so the breast will have to wait til tomorrow morning. This would allow plenty of time to brine or marinate over night if that's necessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to roast Turkey breast without drying it out?

Brine it over night....and DO NOT OVERCOOK IT!! 155 on a thermometer....remove and let it rest, well, covered for 30 minutes.

o

Try a bake in bag. You will be amazed how moist it will remain.

o

Lindac, thanks for the tip. I tend to bake things too long. Will google brines.
Oly, I don't have a bake bag and I very much want to avoid going to the store today, it was already a madhouse Monday. Maybe that is why some people bake in aluminum foil, same principal as a bag?

o

You really don't need a bag or foil....just make sure you don't over cook it....even in a bag the breast meat will be dry and stringy if over cooked.

o

I only cook turkey breast because that all we eat! Just don't over cook it. I do it on convection and that works like a champ. No brining, but I do put sage and garlic cloves under the skin and then rub the skin with oil before putting it in the oven. Cut onion wedges and celery, stand the breast in the pan with the veggies in the cavity and roast. Absolutely yummy and no problems. Makes a lovely roasted turkey!

o

Lindac, I will set the timer to make sure to not forget to check the temp.

Thanks, beachlily, semi-stuffing it with veggies sounds really good. I don't think I have sage, but there's plenty of rosemary, might try that instead. And you can never have too much garlic. :o)

o

Here's an old thread on turkey breast, I make turkey breast frequently and always high heat roast it. Very juicy and the skin is crispy.

Here is a link that might be useful: turkey breast

o

Great thread Bumblebeez, thanks for linking!!

o

I just made one...came out delish. Very moist and juicy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pierre Franey turkey breast

o

The best tip is to not over cook.

I prefer presalting over brining and roasting at high heat. Doesn't matter though what temperature you cook at, as long as you don't over cook.

o

FWIW - I think most people cook it upside down and I never understood that. Chickens, turkeys, all those birds, people put on their backs breast side up and then stick them in the oven. The back is always the juiciest and best part, but there's almost no meat there at all.

Cook it breast down for heaven's sake. And don't overcook. If you have a pop-up timer stuck into it, take it out and throw it away. Don't forget - the meat will still cook for a few minutes when it's out of the oven.

Who cares what it looks like coming out of the oven??? Do you want it to look like a Norman Rockwell painting AND taste like one? That picture with Grandma taking the bird out of the oven with everyone looking on and imagining the dried out and tasteless dinner that awaits them - I think he was taking artistic license because a turkey butt side up just doesn't look as nice. But it tastes better.

o

Well....did you ever try to carve a turkey back side up? It rocks and wiggles and is not stable.....and generally a lot more difficult to cut up....and it's the devil's own job to flip over a hot greasy turkey so you can carve it.
I cookit breast up....and don't over cook it.

o

Not for carving!

You flip it over to carve. I do it all the time.

Although, believe it or not, it's actually easier to take the legs off from the back. But yeah - you can't really balance it on the breastbone! Funny visual though!

o

"---Cook it breast down for heaven's sake. ---"

I have always done it that way.

Also that's the way ATK recommends. First breast side down, then up for final browning.

dcarch

o

The breast turned out great, good thing since the brisket was the opposite. :o)

o

Well, I'm glad that the turkey turned out well. What a disappointment on the brisket!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here