SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Mastering a good chicken picatta sauce

lpinkmountain
11 years ago

BF loves chicken picatta and I'd like to try (again) to make it for him. I just don't have good luck with the sauce on that. I don't seem to like flour or cornstarch thickened sauces, I do better with ones that are a reduction. My usual way is to sautee some muchrooms and onion in lots of butter. When the mushrooms are almost done, dredge the chicken in flour and saute it on both sides until done. Then remove the chicken and deglaze the pan with wine and broth. Reduce that a bit, (it also thickens due to the small amount of flour in it from the chicken), then I add a bit of milk to it, or a dab of neufchatel and a healthy sprinkle of parmesean. Place the chicken back into the pan to reheat briefly and serve with sauce.

However, this time I do not have mushrooms and want to make the kind of sauce you do with capers. With this sauce I'm not sure it would be a good idea to add the milk or neufchatel so I'm left with a reduction of broth and wine but I'm not sure that will taste good. I've not had success with just that in the past. Help!

Comments (16)