Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies**** #2

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 10:53

Every year I start thinking about Christmas cookies as soon as the turkey from our Thanksgiving dinner is cold. It's the same as pulling out the decorations each year.
I start making a list of the cookies I want to make. There are the favorites that I make every year and then I few new to me recipes that I want to try.

Please share your very favorites, even if they have been posted on the CF before.
Tell us why a particular recipe is the only one you use. Is it soft or crispy? Is it a good keeper?

I want to encourage new posters to add their favorites. Your recipes bring new life to the CF.

Please read through the recipes from the first Holiday Cookie list. (Link below) Hopefully we can avoid duplicates..

While we usually concentrate on T+T recipes, sometimes a recipe catches our eye that we want to share. That's OK, but please let us know if you haven't had time to try it yet.

I'll be looking forward to some super recipes!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Holiday Cookies #1 (in the FAQ)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong Extra! ****Holiday Cookies**** #2

Here are some forum favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookie Exchange Recipes

o
Cookalong Extra! ***Holiday Cookies*** #2

Original thread with pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Cookies #1

o

I've been making this cookie recipe every year since I found it in my "Recipes to Try" folder in 2007 (originally printed in Sunset magazine in 2001). I think they are really good and look very impressive given how easy they are to make.

The combination of the buttery dough, raspberry, and white chocolate really works for me. I usually triple the recipe and freeze the cookies in zip top bags once they are completely cool. I can have a few fresh cookies in minutes if I just take what I want out of the bag and leave them at room temperature, although they often don't get to fully thaw before they are eaten. :)

White Chocolate-Raspberry Slices
Makes 3 dozen cookies

1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup raspberry jam
2 ounces white chocolate, chopped

1. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1/2 cup butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour, then beat until dough comes together.
2. Divide dough into thirds. On a floured surface, with the palms of your hands, roll each portion into a 9-inch-long rope about 1 inch thick. Place ropes 3 inches apart on a buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Press your finger into dough to make 1/2-inch-wide indentations at 1-inch intervals along each rope. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon jam into each indentation.
3. Bake ropes in a 350F oven until edges are lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
4. Place white chocolate in a plastic sandwich bag, pushing to one corner; secure bag just above chocolate with a twist-tie or knot. Immerse corner of bag in a cup of hot water until chocolate is melted. Dry bag, then, with scissors, cut off the tip of the corner. Squeeze bag to drizzle white chocolate decoratively across ropes. Chill until chocolate is firm to touch, about 1 hour, then cut each rope diagonally into 12 slices.

Cooks notes: If the dough is too dry after combining, add water 1 teaspoon at a time until it holds together. If too wet, add flour slowly. For the white chocolate; I found melting white chocolate chips in the microwave and using a cake decorator with a tip worked better for me than the plastic bag in hot water.

Kathy

o

I have a question about the Butterhorns in the link Nancy posted. The recipe says to roll a tennis-ball-size hunk of dough into a circular shape, but doesn't mention how big of a circle or how thin. Does anyone know?

Here's one of our favorites:

Oatmeal Shortbread

1-1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
2/3 cup quick-cooking oats (I've used old-fashioned with excellent results)
1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix with your fingers until well-blended and crumbly.

Press the mixture firmly and evenly into a lightly buttered pan (10x15-inch).

Bake in a 300F oven for about 45 minutes. The edges will be light golden brown.

While it is still warm, cut into squares or bars, then allow to cool in pan.

NOTES:
* My mom doubles the recipe in a large shallow pan.
* I sprinkle a light dusting of cinnamon sugar on top before baking. Or, a small about of cinnamon can be added to the flour before mixing.

About 3 dozen 2-inch squares.

o

This sugar cookie recipe was given to me by a friend.
She got it from a church fund-raiser cookbook.

They are very crisp and delicate,
the only sugar cookie my family likes.

Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

1 C margarine
1 C vegetable oil (corn or Canola)
1 C. powdered sugar
1 C. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
4 C plus 4 rounded Tbsp. flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Cream of Tarter.

Method:

Cream sugars, margarine and oil together.
Add eggs & vanilla
Stir in dry ingredients.
Chill for several hours,
Or overnight.
Shape into balls and flatten with a glass dipped in white sugar.

Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

My notes:

I use a cookie scoop to shape.
Roll each ball in sugar.
Then flatten with a glass that has an indented pattern on the bottom, to make a pretty design on the cookies.

Almond extract can be substituted for vanilla. Place a sliced almond in the center of each cookie before baking.

Roll each cookie in colored sugar for a festive look.

Enjoy!

Rusty

o

In this season of over abundance, I'd like to be a bit of grinch and remind folks that hundreds of cookies are tossed each year off of "assorted" platters. At work we're often gifted with cookies and it's amazing what doesn't get eaten. When you make up a platter give careful consideration to whether or not your recipients will enjoy the contents and quantities.
Frankly, chocolate is the clear winner. We have nearly 50 staffers and the sweets with chocolate go first, every time! Molasses or spice cookies are perennial faves as well.
When making fruit filled cookies, or plain nut cookies, limit the quantity, in our experience, they're rarely finished.

Okay, I'm finished with my public service message. More than ever there are hungry people in our country. Give a bit more to them instead! Happy Baking!

o

This is NOT a T&T recipe since I have never made them, but I got the recipe from a friend and I had a few at her house last year. Oh. My. Word. They are wonderful.

Alexa

Almond truffles

Yield: about 48 almond truffles
Ingredients:
• 12 ounces (about 2 cups) semisweet chocolate, chopped
• 7 ounces almond paste
• 1/3 cup heavy cream
• 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
• cocoa powder, for dusting
Preparation:
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
2. Grate the almond paste using a box grater, or chop it finely with a knife.
3. Place the chocolate, grated almond paste, and cream in the top bowl of a double boiler. (Alternately, a regular glass or metal bowl can be used, as long as it fits snugly over the top of a saucepan.) Bring the water in the saucepan to a simmer and stir the chocolate mixture steadily with a rubber spatula.
4. Continue to heat and stir until the mixture is smooth and homogenous. Once the chocolate is entirely smooth, remove the bowl from the heat, cover the surface of the chocolate with cling wrap, and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
5. Place the truffle mixture in the refrigerator to firm up for 2 hours. Once firm, dust your hands with cocoa powder. Scoop teaspoonfuls of the chocolate and roll between your fingers into a round shape. Roll the truffles in the chopped almonds, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining truffles.
6. Place the truffles back in the refrigerator to set for 30 minutes. Once they are set, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. Bring to room temperature before serving.

o

Yum, Nancy, there are two things I like about Christmas, the cookies and the music!

To add to Ellen's public service announcement, I want to remind everyone to package their cookies separately, and display on a plate at the last minute before gifting. Otherwise, certain flavors overwhelm everything, notably peanut butter and peppermint. One peanut butter cookie and everything on the plate will taste like peanut butter. Same with mint. Now, chocolate cookies tasting like peanut butter might be OK, but peanut butter cookies tasting like peppermint are not a good combination.

Annie

o

I made this Biscotti last year. It was so delicious and festive. I will be making it again!

Holiday Biscotti
Source: Giada DeLaurentis
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup dried cranberries
12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped
Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.
Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.
Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes. As you can see from my photo, I skipped this part-they're delicious either way.
The biscotti can be made ahead. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap them in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.

o
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are a family favorite and also travel well. They are chewier than a standard peanut butter cookie and are crisp around the edges. I like to use crunchy peanut butter and probably use less than 1 cup of chocolate chips. They are delicate when first baked so I bake on parchment paper so I can just slide them off of the baking sheet to cool.

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oatmeal (quick cooking works best)
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugars and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

Combine the dry ingredients; stir into the peanut butter mixture. Add the oatmeal and chocolate chips. Stir just to combine.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire racks.

o

Denise, thanks! I always wonder why the archived threads show up with the formatting stripped. They are so much easier to read in the original form.

Alexa, those sound wonderful. I have to make them.

Nancy, thanks for starting this thread. For once, I'm ready to think about Christmas at the end of November.

o

Hey Dawn I made Giada's cranberry pistaschio biscotti one year and I have to agree they were one of my prettiest and best Christmas cookies. However, the dipping in white chocolate part didn't work for me, it all ran off, even when I waited for it to cool a bit. Next time I will either lay them flat on the side and frost one side, or cut up the white chocolate and incorporate into the biscotti dough. I also agree that sprinkling with sugar crystals is overkill, unless they are colored and you're doing it for the added color.

o

lpink,

I think I skipped the white chocolate all together. It made them a lot easier. They were still yummy!

o

I made these little delights last year for the first time. They were beautiful and delicious.

Photobucket

Alfajores de Dulce de Leche

2 sticks butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
3 tablespoons rum
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 3/4 cups dulce de leche or caramel sauce (see below)
1 cup sweetened flaked dried coconut

In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg yolks, whole egg, rum, and vanilla and beat until well blended.

In a medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Stir into butter mixture, then beat until well blended. Divide dough in half, press each half into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.

Unwrap dough. On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll one disk at a time to about 1/8 inch thick. With a floured, 2- to 3-inch round cutter, cut out cookies. Place about 1 inch apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. Gather excess dough into a ball, reroll, and cut out remaining cookies.

Bake in a 350 regular or convection oven until cookie edges just begin to brown, about 10 minutes. If baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking. Let the cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer them to racks to cool completely.

Turn half the cookies bottom side up and spread each with about 1 tablespoon dulce de leche. Top with remaining cookies, bottom side down. Place coconut in a shallow bowl. Gently squeeze each sandwich until filling begins to ooze out sides, then roll edges in coconut.

Dulce de leche
Preheat oven to 400

Pour one or two cans of sweetened condensed milk into a pie plate. Cover tightly with foil.

Put plate in pan larger pan and pour in hot water. (bain marie).

Bake for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Check after first hour and stir.
Milk will be come a beautiful dark caramel color.
Stir until smooth and refrigerate.

o

OMG Shaun ! ! ! !
Those look positively sinful!
I'm almost ready to lick the monitor!

Definitely trying those,
Soon! Very soon! ! !

Rusty

o

Annie, my MIL was always making cookies - she kept a jar full of them all the time. She made lots of different kinds and kept them all in the cookie jar. Sadly, they did all taste kind of the same, and it wasn't good. Little kids didn't mind, but I never liked them. That experience taught me to never mix cookies. I loved her dearly, and she was a wonderful, country cook, but she didn't have a sweet tooth, and I bet she never actually ate the cookies she made or stored.

Ellen, you make a good point. I have a coworker that just doesn't go in for baked goods. I've tried baking a variety of things for her, and she's polite about it, but a year or two ago, before it was time for me to give her her Christmas present, she mentioned that she just couldn't handle any more baked goods. I got the very strong hint. Just to razz her, I got a tin that was designed for goodies, put a gift certificate in it, and presented it to her. I could tell from the look on her face, she dreaded opening the box of goodies. She got a big laugh out of the surprise inside!

Now, my other coworkers love cookies and such, especially my boss. The following recipe is his favorite. They are very, very good. Yes, they have dried fruit, but they have lots and lots of chocolate, too.

Chocolate Chunkers

A note from Greenspan:

A note on the chunks: these cookies are very good made with store-bought chocolate chips, but they are stupendous made with hand-chopped excellent-quality chocolate. Because I think the cookies are worth the time, effort and expense of using really good chocolate for both the dough and the mix-ins, I pull out my best bittersweet chocolate and melt some for the dough, then chop some into generous chunks to stir in right before baking. I also use hand-chopped good-quality milk or white chocolate. Because some hand-chopped pieces will be big and some small, and because some will melt more than others, you'll have a different chocolate tread with each bite.

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into chunks, or 1 cup store-bought chocolate chops or chunks
6 ounces premium-quality milk or white chocolate, chopped into chunks, or 1 cup sotre-bought chocolate chips or chunks
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped nuts, preferable salted peanuts or toasted pecans
1 cup moist, plump raisins (dark or golden) or finely chopped moist, plump dried apricots

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.

Set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Add the butter, bittersweet chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate and heat, stirring occasionally, just until melted -(the chocolate and butter should be smooth and shiny but not so hot that the butter separates. Remove the bowl from the heat and set it on the counter to cool.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, until they are pale and foamy. Beat in the vanilla extract, then scrape down the bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the melted butter and chocolate, mixing only until incorporated. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the bowl, then, on low speed, add the dry ingredients. Mix just until the dry ingredients disappear into the dough, which will be thick, smooth and shiny. Scrape down the bowl and, using the rubber spatula, mix in the semi-sweet and milk (or white) chocolate chunks, nuts and raisins - you'll have more crunchies than dough at this point. (The dough can be wrapped in plastic and kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

Drop the dough by generously heaping tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving about an inch of space between the mounds of dough.

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 10 to 12 minutes. The tops of the cookies will look a little dry but the interiors should still be soft. Remove the baking sheet and carefully, using a broad metal spatula, lift the cookies onto a cooling rack to cool to room temperature.

Repeat with the remaining dough, baking only one sheet of cookies at a time and making sure to cool the baking sheets between batches.

If, when the cookies are cooled, the chocolate is still gooey, and you'd lie it to be a bit firmer, just pop the cookies into the fridge for about 10 minutes.

When I make these cookies, I use the dried apricots, simply because I don't like raisins. For raisin lovers, they're probably great with raisins, but I love the dried apricots, myself. As for her note about the chocolate, I can't afford the extra high quality chocolate, but I do use the Baker's semi-sweet chocolate, Ghiradelli bitter-sweet chocolate and white chocolate, and chop them myself, rather than using chocolate chips. I agree that it just makes for a better cookie. I don't know what I'm missing by not using the expensive stuff that she recommends, and I plan to keep it that way!

A side note, for those of you that love to bake, I highly recommend this book. I lucked out big time and found it at Half Price Book Store for way less than half price, and grabbed it up. Having used it lots and lots, I'd say it's worth the full price of the book. Her recipes are great, and her writing style is fun, relaxed, and easy to understand.

Sally

o

Shaun, I want to make these this year. About how many will this recipe make?

They look and sound yummy!

Nancy

o

The recipe I used says it makes 18 - 25 sandwich cookies.

This baked dough is fragile so when I was pressing the cookies together to squeeze some of the caramel out the edges, some broke so I had to eat those right away..... be gentle when squeezing.

o

These were always part of the goodies Mom offered at Christmas.
I made them on the weekend, to see how they would turn out and they were perfect. I'm making them for Christmas for sure!

*I decreased the brown sugar to 1 cup, which we liked.
I may throw some raisins in as well.

I also posted these on the WFD thread.

Butter Tart Squares
Butter Tart Squares

Base:
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup butter

Mix together with a fork and press into a square ungreased baking dish. Bake for 11 minutes.

Topping:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup coconut
1 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter

Mix together and spread over base. Bake at 325 until firm, 30-35 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool before cutting into squares.

o

Jasdip, those look excellent.

I've been going through this thread and also the one from last year. I bought supplies yesterday but I'll probably run out and have to go buy more. Between neighbors and friends and relatives...I can share some Christmas spirit.

Nancy

o

This recipe was in an issue of Redbook in the 70's. When my mom passed away and we were going through things, I found she'd written it out on a pretty recipe card, in her pretty handwriting, and added this note: "From Redbook, that we all like." I don't make them much anymore (because I'm the only one in the family who likes them), but I'm going to make them for a cookie exchange next week.

CARAMEL BARS

32 caramels
1/2-cup evaporated milk
1-cup sifted flour
1/2-teaspoon baking soda
1/4-teaspoon salt
3/4-cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
3/4-cup butter
12-ounce pacage chocolate chips
1/2-cup coarsely chopped nuts

Combine caramels and evaporated milk in large microwaveable bowl. Heat about 3 minutes on high; check and stir. Heat until caramels are melted; set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees; lightly butter an 11x7-1/2x1-1/2 pan. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Stir in brown sugar and oats. Blend butter or margarine with two knives or pastry blender until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Press half of the oat mixture in bottom of prepared greased pan and press down. Bake 10 or 15 minutes until light brown. Remove from oven; sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips and drizzle with caramel mixture. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture. Bake 20 minutes or until light brown. Cool 30 or 45 minutes, then refrigerate. Cut into bars.

o

Yesterday I made Peanut Butter Swirl bars, ended up with about 3 dozen bars, packed them 6 to a bag for gifts. This is more of a standard recipe than something extra special for the holidays. But the recipe is easy, I had all the ingredients on hand, and the bars are very tasty.

Peanut Butter Swirl Bars

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup soft butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

greased 9x13" baking pan or 9x12 half sheet pan

Cream together PB, butter, and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Combine dry ingredients, then mix them into the creamed mixture. Mix well.

Spread in your greased pan; sprinkle on the chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes, then remove pan from oven and run a knife thru the batter and chips to marbleize. Return to oven and bake an additional 20-25 minutes. Cool pan on a rack. Cut into 36 or more bars.

o

I swore I was not going to make "tons" of cookies this year, but my resolve is weakening. This recipe caught my eye and I decided to make them this morning.... oh my! They are wonderful!

Alexa

Double Ginger Crackles
The double hit of ginger here comes from both ground ginger and crystallized ginger. Yields about four dozen cookies.
10 oz. (2-1/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
2-3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. table salt
6 oz. (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/4 cup molasses
3 Tbs. finely chopped crystallized ginger
Tip: For the best results, measure your flour by weight instead of volume. (1 cup of all-purpose flour equals 4-1/2 oz.) If you don’t have a scale, be sure to use the proper technique when filling your measuring cups.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar with an electric mixer (a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a hand-held) on medium-high speed until well blended. Add the egg, molasses, and crystallized ginger; beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until well blended.
Pour the remaining 1/3 cup sugar into a shallow bowl. Using a 1-Tbs. cookie scoop, a small ice cream scoop, or two tablespoons, shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in the sugar to coat. Set the balls 1-1/2 to 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through baking, until the cookies are puffed and the bottoms are lightly browned, 12 to 14 min. If you touch a cookie, it should feel dry on the surface but soft inside. The surface cracks will look a bit wet. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 5 min. and then transfer them to a rack to cool completely. When cool, store in airtight containers.
Ginger flavor intensifies with time, making these cookies excellent candidates for long keeping. When stored in an airtight container, the cookies remain impressively delicious for up to five days from baking. Well wrapped, the cookies will keep for several weeks in the freezer.

o

Well, I'm on my first leg of using up some things in the fridge, and tried a new cookie recipe for using up a Hershey's Symphony bar--stuffed cookies. The recipe is much better explained on Dara's blog that I got it from. She used Carmello bars, which are probably MUCH better. I should have thrown some of my leftover caramel topping into the cookie. They are good but kinda strange. But they taste good. Good way to use up leftover Halloween candy bars too. Sorry if the photo doesn't show, I've been having trouble with my Pbase account lately, it is slow and doesn't seem to be that reliable anymore. I hope it's not on the way out, I really have liked that site!

Here's the recipe, copied from the blog linked below. I put the dough in the fridge for a couple hours before shaping the cookies.

Chocolate & Caramel Sugar Cookies (from Dara's blog, "Cookin' Canuck")

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups granulated sugar, divided
14 tbsp (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz. chocolate caramel chocolate bars (such as Cadbury), cut into individual square

Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar with an electric mixer set on medium speed until the mixture is creamy and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla extract.

Turn the mixer to low speed and gradually beat in the flour mixture until it is just combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir the mixture a few times to make sure all of the flour mixture is incorporated.

Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl. Use 2 tablespoons cookie dough for each cookie. Split the piece of dough in half, slightly flatten the bottom half, place a square of chocolate caramel bar on top, and cover with the other piece of cookie dough. Seal the edges with your fingers. Roll the ball in the sugar to coat it and place it on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and chocolate caramel squares, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart from each other on the baking sheets. Lightly coat the bottom of a glass or metal measuring cup with butter and dip into the sugar. Use this to gently flatten the cookies to 3/4-inch thickness.

Bake the cookies, one sheet a time, rotating from front to back halfway through baking. They are done when the edges are set and beginning to brown, 10 to 13 minutes. The centers of the cookies should still be soft and puffy. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Using a spatula, remove the cookies from the baking sheet and let cool on a rack. They can also be served warm.

Makes 24-28 cookies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Caramel Sugar Cookie Reciep - Cookin' Canuck

o
Link to cookies

o

Rusty:
I have made fruit filled cookies wih the recipe you use for the Pizzelles.

I just use Vanilla Extract instead of Anise oil.

Add enough flour to make a soft Dough ball.
Roll out on a lightly floured worktop, a little thicker than One-Eighth thickness.
Cut 3 inch circles of the dough.
Lay on the pie filling of your choice, on 1 piece.

Make an egg and milk baste mix.
Baste the edge, 1/2 inch in and lay another piece of Dough on top.

Use a fork to pinch the edge , all around, to seal the two pieces.
Pinch the top using a letter of the fruit used, for ID.

Bake at 350 Degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until Golden Tan. Baste after 5 min. , with the egg mix.

You can also use the dough in the Pizzelle Baker to make Canoli Shells.

I still have a recipe ( Lucy's ) for the Canoli filling.
LOU

o

bump! I want cookies!

o

I made these twice last year. I didn't put dates in the second batch, and I just used pecans and/or walnuts...didn't use hazelnuts. Loved them!

Taste of Home
Fruitcake Cookies
Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
Yield: 21 Servings

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups (rounded) all-purpose flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces red candied cherries, halved
4 ounces candied pineapple, diced
1-1/2 cups dates, finely cut
1/2 cup broken Diamond of California� Walnuts
1/2 cup broken Diamond of California� Pecans
1/2 cup whole hazelnuts

Directions

In a bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Sift together flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture. Stir in fruits and nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 325� for 15 minutes. Store tightly covered; cookies are best after a few days. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.

o

I got this from a Southern Living Christmas cookbook. I made them once years ago and they were yummy. I love any peanut butter cookie and this one had the added bonus of having a Reeses peanut butter cup in the middle.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here