Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warm Dinner Plates to Keep Food Hot?

Posted by cathy_in_pa (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 10:47

Bear with me if this sounds a bit neurotic, and maybe I'm not on the right track to correct this.

Even if everything is piping hot, by the time we finish passing/choosing/talking and we actually eat, some of the food has cooled to lukewarm. Still tastes good, but would be better hot. Would warming dinner plates help? If so, is there an easy method?

Thanks so much advance.

Cathy in SWPA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warm Dinner Plates to Keep Food Hot?

The easiest method I know for warming dinner plates is to stack them in the microwave, put a cup of water on the top of the stack, and zap for a minute or two. I would then keep them warm on a lower power setting (like 10 minutes on 10% power). This will only work if there are no metallic decorations on your plates.

If you have metallic trim, does your dishwasher have a plate warming setting?

o

OMG, I almost forgot that I now have a warming tray. Must try it on Thursday!

o

Cathy in Pa:
Be careful warming Plates in the Micro . I shattered about 5 plates ( micro wave safe ).
They were made by Gibson.
For a few, I do mine in the toaster Oven now, and rotate them.
If your oven is warm, you can put a pile in the oven.
Lou, in NE Pa.

o

When there's just the two of us or even up to four dining, I put the dishes in the sink and fill it half full of hot tap water.
Then when the food is ready to plate, I dry the dishes one at a time as I plate the food.

Otherwise I put the plates in my toaster oven with the lowest heat on for one minute, and then turn it off, leaving the dishes inside.

If I have vegetables that have finished cooking in a pot with steam, I drape a teatowel over the open pot, (gas flame is off) stack the dishes on top, and put the pot lid back on. You have to wipe the dishes dry afterward, but they are so hot I need an oven glove to remove them.

SharonCb

o

I use the plate warmer setitng on my dishwasher too, but if I didn;t have that setting I might do the short wash cycle about 45 min before serving and I would think they will still be hot.

Alexa

o

Thanks so much for these great suggestions. I'm going to do a trial run either today or tomorrow.

I think part of the problem is that I have don't have nice delicate china, but some thick Mikasa pottery-type plates that almost cool things off. On the other hand, the backs say they're micro/oven/freezer/dishwasher safe. Hopefully, they'll retain heat.

I wish I had a plate warmer setting, bbstx and Alexa ... I have a 19-year old dishwasher that sounds like a train. But I do microwave and my dishwasher gets hot. And SharonCb, I too fill the sink for my serving dishes and that works extremely well. Lou, that sounds like you were creating quite a memory.

Thanks again for the encouragement ... I'll think of you all if those mashed potatoes are hot this year!

Cathy in SWPA

o

We always warm our dinner plates (my mom used to do that but only when my grandpa came to dinner LOL but we do it for every meal. I use a platewarmer and I suppose its too late for you for this year, but I bet if you had one you'd get in the habit of using it every day like we do!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plate Warmer

o

It may be too late for the bird, Woodie2, but it's on the Christmas List!!!!! That's exceptional.

You may laugh, but I actually thought of heating pads, but they're pretty deplorable and, hmmm, there may be a safety factor there too. Then I started to think about these rice-filled things I've made that you can microwave/heat, but it's too much at this point.

Since loves2cook4six save my mom a bundle on that Cooking Light deal, I'm emailing her this link!

Take care and thanks again -- Cathy

o

It is important to have hot plates for an important meal.

Not a complicated thing:

Place sligthly wet napkin in between each plate, microwave.

Experiment with low power and long timer setting. Don't overdo it.

Flip the stack of plates for more even heating. You can have the whole stack of piping hot dinner plates done just before serving.

dcarch

o

I use the warm setting on my oven...I have two ovens. We live in a cold area and if I don't warm the plates everything is cold by the time we eat.
I do this every day, morning for a hot breakfast and evenings for dinner.

Linda

o

We always warm plates for dinner, except in the heat of summer. Usually use the microwave, except for the plates with metal decor. I've never had one break there. One minute on full power for two. I don't add any moisture as two folk have recommended. Father-in-law once said, "Robert, I don't think those plates have enough water in them to heat," and was amazed that they came out hot anyway.
Of course, if the oven is on, we use that heat instead. If the oven is HOT, I set a one minute timer to remind me to snatch them out before they start glowing.

o

I use what I call my poor womans plate warmer.

I take a stock pot that is large enough for my plates to sit in, and fill with about 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer. I have a small cooling rack that is small enough that it sits in the pot just above the water where the plates wont get soaking wet. I then stack the plates in the pot of warm water on the cooling rack and put the lid on and let them sit until I am ready to use. If I take too long and the water gets cool I just sit on the stove and bring back to a simmer and I am good to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here