Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetables for Thanksgiving?

Posted by gardengrl (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 10:46

Every year I get stumped on what vegetable side dishes to serve. Besides the green bean casserole, candied yams, and mashed potatoes, what do you serve at your table?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetables for Thanksgiving?

I just have a big vegie/relish tray set out with different dips.

o

Sunday I was trying to figure out how to use Swiss Chard and Butternut Squash. I ended up with a dish everyone liked and so will probably try to reproduce it at Thanksgiving.

It started from this idea: http://nancyvienneau.com/blog/recipes/swiss-chard-butternut-squash-gratin/

I roasted thinly sliced butternut squash, garlic, red peppers separately in the oven. I sauteed the chard and onions separately. I put these vegetables in 2 layers in a baking dish, covering the first layer, then the second layer, lightly with a bechamel.

Then baked for about 45 minutes. It was very good. I would roast the vegetables a bit longer next time to get as much water out of them as possible to keep the casserole from being too wet.

o

Ususlly green beans but for sure not "The casserole"!....oftem stir fries quickly in garlic oil or tosses with sesame seeds or with slivered almonde....
Also sometimes oven roasted asparagus....just lay asparagus spears on a baking sheet drizzled with Olive oil....toss to coat...put into a 400 oven while you are working on other last minute stuff....for only about 6 to 8 minutes depending on how thick the asparagus....sprinkle with salt and a bit of either lemon or balsamic vinegar and serve.
Never serve a saucy vegetable....other than occasionally creamed onions....too mush gravy stuffing scalloped oysters and other rich stuff.
Linda C

o

This year will be braised sweet & sour red cabbage. I'm tired of green beans, broccoli or glazed carrots. The cabbage dish will add much needed color for the plate!

o

Here's a thread posted in Oct, for our Canadian Thanksgiving.
You might get some additional ideas here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving Veggie Dishes

o

Haricots Verts with Herb Butter

I made these last year and they were a huge hit with both the kids and the adults. My picky daughter has declared these her "favorite". These are also dead easy to prepare. Both CostCo and Trader Joe's sell Haricot Verts in packages ready to dump into your pot of boiling water. The Herb Butter can be made days in advance, so simply drain and toss with the butter and that's it.

This has become my go-to dish for company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haricots Verts with Herb Butter

o

We usually have lots of veggie stuff in addition to the turkey, dressing and mashed potatoes.

Relish tray with both fresh veggies and a variety of pickles.
Broccoli Salad.
Roasted root vegetables and sweet potatoes (mixed sometimes).
Green beans.

Always Deviled eggs and THE pink jello salad. It's not a holiday dinner without it. :)

Deanna

o

I like a tray of roasted veggies. Pick stuff that takes around the same amount of time to make it easy, or do it ahead and serve cold. Roasted brussels sprouts are especially delicious.

o

I'm curious Deanna, what is THE pink jello salad? We have THE green jello salad with pineapple, cream cheese and nuts.

Interesting isn't it! I'm always asked to make the dressing and bring green beans but they will be surprised this year. I'm going to make the Haricots Verts with Herb Butter. Sounds yummy!

jude

o

Roasted brussel sprouts with olive oil, kosher salt, and pecans

o

I'm going to make the Haricots Verts with Herb Butter. Sounds yummy!

Your going to love them! :-)

I too love Roasted Brussels sprouts, but I don't think most of my guests will eat them, so I try to play it safe. My DH wouldn't eat them until he tried mine. After roasting, I toss with this sauce: Brown 2 tbsp of butter, remove from heat and add 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp balsamic vinegar. The Roasted sprouts are great as is, but this just adds a little something extra. :-)

o

Smashed rutabagas ... "the" green bean casserole (I won't eat it, but everyone else will) ... baked sweet potatoes ... smashed Yukon Golds ... Mustard/Apricot glazed carrots ... roasted Brussels sprouts ...

This year I might also try a combo of roasted carrots and parsnips (inspired by Southern Living magazine)

o

When I asked my group about vegetables the response was something like "Vegetables? We don't need no stinking vegetables." It was even suggested that we not bother with a salad so we'd have more room for yams, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Grins.

We are having green beans almondine if for no other reason that a plate needs a green thing to look pretty.

o

Barnmom you are a true artist to know that the plate needs some green to compliment the orange yams....*wink*.
I also used to make peas and mushrooms in a tarragon butter sauce....but it seems my SIL and I were the only ones who liked peas...

o

I love the broccoli casserole, no rice in mine! Also like the corn pudding that I got from here last year.

o

We always have cabbage au gratin with turkey. Heat one can cream of mushroom soup with one cup grated sharp cheddar cheese and mix with about one head of cooked diced cabbage.

o

Jude,
THE pink jello salad is Strawbery Jello with cream cheese, cool whip and fruit cocktail.

It's the only time I eat jello....and very little of it.
Somehow, it just isn't "right" if I don't.
The salad has been on every Thanksgiving and Christmas table since I can remember (I'm 48). I believe at one time it was a lemon/pineapple version but I can't swear to it. In my mind, it's always been pink!

At this point, I just love the tradition.
The salad? Meh. It's jello.

I'm far more interested in the roasted veggies! :)

Deanna

o

I think this King Arthur recipe looks festive & different for Thanksgiving.

Roasted Root Vegetable Pie
A savory pie crust redolent of herbs, and a rich potato and vegetable filling that showcases fall's harvest of sweet root vegetables. This pie can also be frozen before baking, so making an extra will give you a quick meal any time of year.

Savory crust:

2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, chives)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup cream cheese, chilled and diced
1 to 2 tablespoons milk, as needed
Filling vegetables:

2 1/2 cups pearl onions
1 cup peeled, diced winter squash
2 cups peeled, diced rutebaga
1 cup peeled diced white turnip
1 cup peeled, diced parsnips
1 cup diced leeks, washed and drained
2 cups peeled, diced celery root
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 to 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
Potato filling binder:

2 medium baking potatoes
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt

1) For the crust: Whisk the flour, salt and herbs together in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter and cream cheese until the mixture is the texture of granola. Add the milk one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together but is not soggy.

2) Pat the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out.

3) To roast the vegetables for the filling. Preheat the oven to 425�F. Place the diced, chopped vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle them with the oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss all to coat.

4) Spread the vegetables out on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 45 to 60 minutes total, stirring well every 15 minutes. The veggies are ready when they are fork tender and caramelized on the edges. Set aside to cool.

5) While the vegetables are roasting, bake or boil the potatoes until they are soft and easily pierced with a fork. Peel, drain and mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
6) Mix the warm mashed potatoes, eggs, herbs, and seasoning together, then fold in the roasted, cooled vegetables.

7) To assemble: Roll the pie crust to a 12" to 14" circle. Drape the crust into a greased 9" or 10" pie pan. Trim and flute the crust edges and place the filling in the unbaked crust.

8) At this point the pie can be well wrapped and frozen for up to 4 weeks. If you are baking now, bake in a preheated 400�F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350�F and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes or until golden browned on top and the center is set.

9) If you have frozen the pie, you can bake it directly from the freezer at 350�F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Be sure to check the edge of the crust and protect it from burning with a pie shield or foil.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Look how pretty it is...

o

We will have a pink jello salad at the table as well. It is a tradition of one of the guests and it isn't "right" for her without it. Her version sounds similar but made with raspberry jello.

I have served carrot ginger soup in the past instead of yams, as they are not my fave done the way many people do them - dumped straight from the canned and buried in brown sugar and butter. It's the texture of the canned yams that bothers me most.

o

We sometimes have corn pudding for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I use the recipe I posted here sometime ago, don't know if anyone ever tried it. Actually I don't know if anyone ever tried any recipe I've posted.LOL If we had every food my DH seems to think we need we'd never finish eating. I do plan to make a new sweet potato recipe that has carmellized onions. It just sounds good to me and I really don't care if someone else does "the sweet potato souffle". It'll be alright with me.

jude

o

Tricia - That looks delicious!

I almost forgot! I have been making Emeril's Fresh Carrot Ring for years. I don't add the Buttered Peas and Cauliflower though. To me, this is a cross between a vegetable and bread, so I don't serve any other bread with it. This is probably the only "vegetable" my sister will eat... :-)

o

I made Ann's recipe for sweet potatoes with caramelized onions. I liked it very much. Is that the one you are using?

o

Yes, AnnT's recipe is the one I plan to use. Only difference...I'm thinking I might bake the sweet potatoes instead of boiling them. If anything, it should only be better.

o
Another in my files from Ann.

I've made these, too. Yum.

From Ann T.

6 Pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 large)
3 Tablespoons bourbon
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
2 Cups pecan halves (about 8 ounces)
1 Teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and in a baking pan bake in middle of oven until tender, about 1 hour.

When just cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and transfer half to a food processor. Add bourbon and 6 tablespoons butter and puree 30 seconds. Transfer puree to a large bowl. Puree remaining potatoes in food processor until completely smooth and transfer to bowl. Stir puree until combined well and season with salt and pepper. Transfer puree to a 2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish. Puree may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring puree to room temperature before proceeding.

Reduce temperature to 325 F.

In a shallow baking pan spread pecans in one layer and bake in middle of oven until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Toss hot pecans with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and coarse salt. Pecans may be made 2 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

o

Thanks for the ideas for Brussels sprouts. We still have some in the garden and hopefully it won't snow a ton before TDay so I can get to them.

We'll make something with sweet potatoes, either my casserole with sliced sweets layered with caramelized onions (similar to AnnT's I think) or sweet potatoes in orange cups.

I will make The green bean casserole if our neighbor comes for dinner. It's special to him, soooo....

o

I have neither made nor eaten The green bean casserole but I have seen many pictures and read the list of ingredients. Maybe that's the answer.LOL

jude

o

I've never made or eaten The green bean casserole either, and I actually can eat that com soup stuff.

We don't do anything but our traditions for the Holidays. Fresh from the farm or freezer brussels sprouts, steamed. They have to get hit by a couple of frosts in the field to be the sweetest. I much prefer them steamed to roasted. Creamed carrots are a must too. With a feast like Thanksgiving I certainly don't feel the creamed carrots are too rich, especially since I make them with just enough milk to turn the cooking water white..ish. I don't eat the creamed onions so they've gone by the wayside. Candied sweets in my mothers cast iron skillet. We do use white sweets these days. I also bake some sweets to have in the following days for our leftover meals. Mashed is a given.

o

Coconut, what you call sweets is that the little white turnips? I have heard them referred to as Swedes before but never sweets. I love turnip and rutabaga and they are a must with a Turkey or chicken dinner. I usually just steam them, cut into cubes and toss with butter and season with salt and pepper. I also like them cooked with garlic. I think my mom use to add a little brown sugar to rutabaga.

Ann

o

Back when I had a printer I printed out the corn pudding and it was from pfmastin, 11/14/06.

1 can of creamed corn
1 can of reg. corn
3 eggs
1 c. of sugar
2-3 tsp. corn starch

Mix well andpour into a casserole dish. Dot top generoudly with butter.
Bake 350 until golden brown and set in the middle.

o

jude31: "If we had every food my DH seems to think we need we'd never finish eating."

That's really funny! And you'd never finish doing the dishes.

stuartwanda: I make a similar corn pudding - the recipe I have calls for sprinkling the top with a cinnamon sugar mixture about half-way through the baking. I'd have to look but it might also have some cream in it, too. In general, on Thanksgiving though, I prefer not to have sweet vegetable sides since there are so many desserts waiting off-stage.

I always make scalloped turnips - we have a local turnip that is mild and only available until the supply runs out. They are a real treat.

seagrass

o

Ann....what some call Swedes are rutabegas....and there is a sweet potato that is white...never seen it in my stores but have eaten is....and it tastes very like traditional sweet potatoes....but they are white!!

o

Coconut, would you mind to tell me how you do the candied sweets in the iron skillet? I think my mother did that but I don't remember what she put in them. Thanks.

jude

o

Ann, I did mean sweet potatoes. And yes, we love the white ones. They're a bit sweeter than regular orange or even yellow sweets. A nice fine texture too. If you take pieces of them that have been baked or boiled and fry them in a pan with just butter, the surface will caramelize as though they had sugar on them. We used to have to get them from a few farmers that we knew that grew them, but they've become more popular around here so many grocery stores here now carry them.

Jude, we do them very simply. Depending on the size of your skillet, you melt between a half stick and a stick of butter in the cast iron. Then add about a cup and a half to two cups of brown sugar. Let the sugar melt and cook until it begins to foam up[on a pretty high heat], which is starting the caramelization. Then carefully put in the half or whole potatoes if they're small. Let them start to caramelize in the sugar on each side, turning as needed and spooning the caramel over. As the caramel starts to stick to them they're about done [probably about five minutes] I usually just find a place in the oven for them. As you can imagine this makes a pretty heavy duty caramel. You can add more butter and less sugar if you like a thinner caramel, but we only have them a couple times a year so we like them nice and sticky. Once in a while I have squeezed some orange juice into the mixture as the sugar is melting. That's a nice variation.

o

Wow! I disappear for a few days and you all have been busy!

Linda - Love the idea of roasted asparagus, I just made some last night!

Barnmom - LOL! "We don't need no stinkin' vegetables!"

Deanna - I forgot about the broccoli salad! Good idea and I have a recipe.

Have to say "bleh" to the brussel sprouts...the only way I like them is braised in cream. So much for healthy! Come to think of it, I haven't made THE green jello thing in years, maybe it's time to make it again.

I have a wonderful roasted root vegetable dish with an herbed viniagrette, but wanted to stay way from more root veggies other than the mashed taters and sweet potatoes.

Great ideas everyone! Keep em' coming!

o

Would someone be willing to post a recipe for shredded Brussels sprouts/bacon/ pecans type recipe? It sounds SO good. I've checked a couple of local stores and don't have fresh sprouts available. Can I use frozen ones? Do I have to adjust anything? Thank you so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here