Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A gracious plenty of squash.

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 10:40

I was given 2 huge butternuts and a giant acorn....after I had just bought a butter cup....and 2 cans of pumpkin.
I have a couple of good recipes for pumpkin soup and made it once already....and ate it for a few days.
I know baked...and I know I can puree it for freezing for later.
But what else? I am suffering from squash overload!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A gracious plenty of squash.

I'd boil or steam them if I were to puree and freeze. It will have a moister texture - I have tried doing it both ways.

o

For easy prep, I would bake all of them, halved, in the oven, then scoop out the flesh when cool, package up in 1 or 2 cup containers and freeze. Then use that supply of cooked squash to make pies, soup, breads, add a cup to risotto, make a custard, etc. etc.

Teresa

o

Like Teresa, I bake mine on sheet pans and then freeze the puree for future use.

I make a yeast roll with butternut squash puree, and use it in place of pumpkin in some recipes.

Annie

o

This is the recipe I use for butternut squash. I sometimes put a splash of balsamic vinegar on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caramelized Butternut Squash from Ina Garten

o

Thanks Cam...I do that too...That's the sort of recipe I am looking for....if I bake it all and freeze then all I can make is things with pureed squash....and I really like it in cubes...

o

LindaC, you don't have to bake all of it, you could freeze some and eat some now you know. I'm all into instant gratification and that type of thing, but still. (grin)

I saw that Ruthanna made butternut custard on WFD, that sounds good, and I like pumpkin pie. I also like pumpkin roll and have successfully made that with squash in place of pumpkin, as well as muffins.

I roast mine in cubes with other root vegetables and glaze it all with some maple syrup, and I've added roasted or cooked cubes to quinoa along with cranberries and pecans for a nice side dish.

I like this butternut squash gratin, too, this one is from Betty Crocker although I've used a similar recipe which I think I got from Eating Well.

Parmesan-Butternut Squash Gratin

1 butternut squash (2 1/2 lb)

1/4 cup butter or margarine

2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

1/4 cup panko

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1.Heat oven to 375�F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Peel, halve lengthwise and seed squash; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange with slices overlapping slightly in bottom of baking dish.
2.In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic is soft and butter is infused with garlic flavor. Do not let butter brown.

3.In small bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese and 1 tablespoon of the butter-garlic mixture.

4.Brush squash slices with remaining butter-garlic mixture. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and bread crumb mixture.

5.Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with fork. Increase oven temperature to 425�F; bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Before serving, sprinkle parsley over top.

Makes 6 servings (1/2 cup each)

Annie

o

You can also grate some raw and use for squash and potato latkes or just saute the grated squash.

I recently posted savory squash custard on the WFD thread. Cooked chunks of butternut in water mixed with apple cider, mashed, beat in an egg and baked in buttered custard cups or ramekins.

No real recipe but I cook white rice, wild rice w/dried or fresh cranberries and then mix the two of them with cooked small squash cubes and add a little bit of marjoram. Or you can use leftover rice.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here