SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanew

Christmas Open House...HELP

cran
14 years ago

I am mostly a lurker here but definately need help. I would like to have a Christmas open house. I live in a New England sea side village and every year we have Christmas Stroll. Main Street is closed and the magic begins. All of the Sea Captain houses on Main street are lit up, carolors are on porches singing, chili, hot chocolate, roasted chestnuts are served along with cider, hot dogs and popcorn all free. We used to have a horse drawn wagon go through the neighborhood as well. Hundreds of people come. My house is on Main Street and I would like to have an open house for the neighbors and friends. I would like to serve something simple. I don't think I want a lot appetizers because it would be constant refilling etc. But thinking of a one dish make ahead dish. All of you are so talented ... please help!!

Comments (37)

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Sounds like something out of a Currier & Ives Scene! What fun!

How about Lasagne? Can be made ahead, it's easy, it's filling, and I don't know of anyone who doesn't like lasagne!

A nice beef stew would also be good.

Linda

• sheesh
    14 years ago

A crock pot full of Italian Beef, a stack of buns, bowls of chips, hot cider and coffee. And plates of cookies.

You're a peach to do it! Have fun. I'll post the beef recipe if you're interested. It's easy and fuss-free.

• Related Discussions

Do not open til Christmas

Q

Comments (7)
    Bubblewrap filled 'photo' envelopes would surely be the best bet especially when mail is mechanically sorted. I'm not sure how much letters are compressed. One of the reasons I am doing this is also to show just how minimalistic a successful worm bin can be. You see people overthinking their setup, worrying about making sure they have just the 'right' balance of food before they drop their worms in. (I certainly understand this if you are buying pounds of worms for $30 or so) I personally feel that worms thrive if left alone as long as some very basic needs are met, sufficient ventilation, moisture and something minimal to eat (like just wet cardboard.) The key is to be patient and let the bin establish. I was also looking at a way to help new people get started with a super minimal cash outlay.
    ...See More

Christmas Open House Inspiration

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh My Word Jim..LOVE IT..I would have loved to shop at this place or even just browse! Everything is just so beautiful. The next town from where I live, which is Woodbury,CT, is known as The Antique's Capital of CT...The shops there are amazing like this one. The Women's Club does a Holiday House Tour there every year. The homes are 'decked out' with the most fabulous furnishings just like in her shop. TFS. I really enjoyed it. jane
    ...See More

Christmas Open House etiquette

Q

Comments (8)
    I think the homemade chocolates sound wonderful. I would put them in a pretty food-safe box, tie a lovely christmas ribbon around them. Then find one of the 'new home' ornaments from Hallmark, or a Christmas store in the local mall (even better if it can be personalized on the spot) and tie that in the center of the ribbon on the package.
    ...See More

Opened our cabinets - It was like Christmas morning!

Q

Comments (2)
    I loooooovvvvveeeee the color. I describe it as a lovely creamy white. Not white like our trim, not cream. And yes I think they are easy to clean b/c there were a few marks that I was able to just rub off with my finger so I have to believe they will be even better with soma fantastik and a paper towel. Our walls are a sunset/butternut squash color. The granite is Autmn wheat and the floors are original hardwood floors with a typical medium stain on them. Are your cabinets from HD?
    ...See More
  • ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

A big pot of some variety of seafood bisque, chowder or soup with a selection of good breads would be my first choice.

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

I would go with a seafood stew, common crackers, mulled cider or wine and gingerbread with whipped creme topping for dessert. Sounds like a wonderful night! NancyLouise

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Well, I like the cookie idea, just have plates of cookies ready to replenish. I'm only assuming it will be cool/cold, so soup would be wonderful, but the beef would be less messy.

Chili would be good too, RiverRat has a great recipe (even though I think it needs beans, LOL, I'm from the Midwest!) if you do decide to go that route.

Another sandwich option could be thinly sliced ham on sweet potato biscuits.

Annie

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Sounds like the perfect setting for a soup party. Make 3 or so soups (bonus can be done in advance), lots of crunchy toppings depending on the soups. Use crock pots to keep warm and serve in oversize coffee mugs from the dollar store and let everyone take theirs home as a little gift. Nice for an open house becasue people can help themselves whenever, no need to plan a specific serving time.

If the idea interests you we can help with lots of good recipes and topping ideas as several of us have dome this before.

• kandm
    14 years ago

Perhaps a big pot of chili with side dishes of shredded cheese and corn chips.

• cran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Already I am getting great suggestions.Linda, lagasgne is always good, but I think I'd have to bake so many casseroles and keep it all hot in one oven!

Sherrmann I would love to have the Italian Beef recipe, that is a good option.

Ruthanna and Nancy louise, I like very much the seafood "chowda" idea. I do have a good s fish chowder recipe and gingerbread and cream yum. I can see it all coming together already!!

Of course it continues with how to serve the Chowder in attractive paper bowls and can I keep a pretty soup tureen hot?

• cran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie,Chase,and Kandm the chili is always good on a cold winter night and believe me it will be cold! They do serve Chili on the walk but they always run out early..Chase the mug idea is brillant!! I really don't care for paper bowls..paper plates are fine but something about bowls! Of course we don't have a dollar store in my area but that is a small problem. I am starting to get excitied! Thanks

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

cran, the handle on the mug makes for much easier eating if people are standing and milling especially if you make "sippy" type soups like Roasted Red Pepper. Then you don't even need a spoon....leaves a hand free for the cider! But even if you need spoons the mugs are so much easier than bowls.

• cran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Christmas Stroll is really beautiful. All the houses on Main Street are asked to put white candles in their windows and decorates the hedges or shrubs with the same. Santa arrives at the library and then goes and sits on his throne on the front porch of an big old captain house. The line to sit in his lap wraps down Main St.
    All the food is donated and $$ donations are accepted to go to needy families in the area. Sometimes there will be a petting zoo on someones front yard, also a ice sculpture demostration and the Historical Musuem is open to the public. Years ago the Bed and Breakfasts on the Street were open for refreshments and tours, but the stroll just got too big. It really gets you in the holiday spirit to walk down in the early evening to the Christmas lit street and see all these people pushing babies, walking dogs, greeting one another...it is a real treasure. Thank you all for your suggestions!

• triciae
    14 years ago

cran,

I live in Mystic, CT & our holiday festivities started this past weekend with Santa arriving by tugboat at the end of our huge lighted boat parade. The lantern walking tours of the sea captain's homes & the evening carriage rides begin this week. Every year, we also have an 1-1/2 hr. play depicting life in Mystic over the centuries. This year, it's "Hope Amongst The Stars" a story of a seafaring family where the father has been lost at sea for over 11 years & how the family copes with the uncertainty of whether he's dead or alive. Their love & hope helps to heal the village from ravages of war. I love New England during the Holidays.

I agree with those who've suggested soup. I'd serve seafood chowda & lobsta bisque along with a non-seafood choice. Don't forget the Vermont common crackers!

For sweets, I'd have small squares of gingerbread, mini-pumpkin, mincemeat, and/or apple tarts...all New England traditions. In New England don't forget the fresh fruit platter & sit a few whole pineapples around the buffet for decoration. You might even consider making the traditional arched fruit board for over the outside of your front door showcased with the whole pineapple at the top! The fresh fruit in December was (and still is!) the sign of hospitality...fruit was outrageously expensive in New England at Christmas & the sharing of tropical fruits obtained from sea journeys told your guests you were special.

Have fun!

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Westminster Crackers

• annie1992
    14 years ago

cran, if you decide to go with the mug idea, you could probably get them by the case at a restaurant supply or catering supply place for pretty darned cheaply.

When I still ran the restaurant we used to buy mugs by the case and I think they were somewhere around 30 cents each. That was 15 years ago, so they would be more now but probably still cheaper than even the Dollar Store.

Annie

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

tricia! Hello!! We've missed you!!!!

I'd love to be in New England for Christmas someday.
    I've been in Webster New York 2 weeks before, but.........not for the actual holiday! Still, it's beautiful.

Deanna

• lowspark
    14 years ago

tricia!!
    Glad to see you posting!! How are you feeling?

• cran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

triciae, Mystic sounds beautful and just love all the traditions. I would put the arched fruit over my front door, but I don't have room because of the front porch, but many houses in this area do. They do many variations using fruit and shells they are beautful. Thanks for the suggestion of the fruit, especially the pineapple. I will include it on the mantle with greens, other fruits and cranberries.

Annie great idea about the restaurant supply. We do have one in the area.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Hey Tricia so good to hear from you . How are you doing!

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Suddenly I have this overwhelming desire to visit New England! I've never been north of Maryland, but the picture you guys are painting for us sounds wonderful!

Another vote here for soup or chowder and spiced cider!

• eandhl
    14 years ago

I vote for the New England Chowder and a non fish soup. I also love some of Tricia's ideas. Enjoy, it sounds wonderful.

• jude31
    14 years ago

Tricia, it's so good to have you back I hope you're doing well.

Cran, I'd love to be there. I love New England but have never had the good fortune to be there during the Christmas season. Oops, I forgot we did fly up to Worcester, Mass one year for a Christmas party and it was great!

jude

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful time, cran. Another thought for very inexpensive mugs are the thrift stores. They usually have a lot of mugs, & if you bought a bunch you could probably even negotiate a quantity price.

• cran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the terrific ideas. I think I will go with the chili in the mugs and as chase has suggested to be served with different toppings. I also like the idea of the gingerbread squares or mini pumpkin tarts. I want to keep it as simple as possible without be to skimpy. I will serve wine and hot cider and hope for the best!! Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions. Maybe Chase can give me suggestions for the toppings and I'll try and find RiverRat's recipe for the chili.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I'm not Chase, but....
    Toppings for chili -- grated mixed chddar and jack cheeses, sour cream, salsa fresca, fried corn tortilla strips, chopped cilantro. If it were me, I'd stay away from avocado -- not only $$$, but it turns black so fast.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I agree about the avacado, Renee.

Cran, here is riverRat's chili recipe. It's time consuming but delicious. If you're serving lots of people, definitely add beans. Or rice. Or pasta. Or whatever, LOL.

Beef Chili with Ancho, Mole, and Cumin

8 servings.

Chili:
    1 tablespoon cumin seeds
    4 bacon slices, chopped
    1 4-pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes
    1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
    4 (or more) large garlic cloves, chopped
    3 1/2 cups (or more) beef broth, divided
    1/4 cup pure ancho chili powder
    1/4 cup Texas-style chili powder blend (such as Gebhardt)
    1 tablespoon mole paste
    2 teaspoons (or more) salt
    2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    1 1/2teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
    1 to 2 tablespoons masa (corn tortilla mix)
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Garnishes:
    Warm, freshly cooked or drained canned black beans
    Chopped white, red, and/or green onions
    Grated cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or queso fresco
    Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeño chiles
    Sour cream
    Tortilla chips or oyster crackers

Toast cumin seeds in heavy small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Cool; grind finely in spice mill or in mortar with pestle.

Sauté bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to large bowl.

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Working in 4 batches, sauté beef in drippings in pot until browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer beef and most drippings to bowl with bacon.

Add onion and garlic to pot. Sauté until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth to pot. Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Return beef, bacon, and any accumulated juices to pot. Mix in ancho chili powder, Texas-style chili powder, mole paste, 2 teaspoons salt, vinegar, oregano, and cumin seeds. Add 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer gently uncovered until beef is very tender, stirring occasionally and adding more broth by 1/2 cupfuls if chili is dry, about 2 1/2 hours or more. Mix in masa by teaspoonfuls to thicken chili or add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls to thin. Season chili with salt, pepper, and cayenne, if desired. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool 1 hour. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over low heat.)

Set out garnishes as desired. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.

Bon Appétit, February 2009

Have fun and Merry Christmas!

Annie

• lindac
    14 years ago

Tricae!!!! Waving madly!!!!!
    And Cran...I really urge the traditional stuff...clam chowder...or even a corn chowder....common crackers, or home made bread....how about some anadama bread? and ginger bread or even just ginger cookies.
    Mulled wine...hot tea...
    sounds lovely!
    Linda C

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Here is the recipe for Italian Beef

4 to 5 lbs chuck roast
    1 head garlic
    3 or 4 yellow onions
    canned beef broth
    salt and pepper
    Bay leaves

Salt and pepper the beef; brown in a dutch oven. Cut the onions in chunks, peel the cloves but leave whole; scatter over the beef in the pot; add the broth, cover tightly, place in a 275* oven for several hours until the meat is falling apart tender and you have a lot of broth in the pot.

I make the beef a day early and refrigerate it in order make removing the fat easier before serving. Remove the bay leaves and most of the fat (but leave some for flavor) and shred the meat into chunks and shreds just before reheating it. Leave the onions and cloves as is, add more salt and pepper to taste. It takes lots and lots of salt and pepper, so don't be shy about it. If you think you need more juice, add more canned broth or water.

Serve on kaiser or hard rolls with plenty of juice and giardiniera, which you can buy in most supermarkets. This will make 20 to 25 sandwiches, easy as can be, and you can easily double or triple it, or make several batches. Inexpensive, too, and it freezes well in ziplock bags if you have leftovers.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

They all sound good, but I cast my vote for bisque. Seems festive :-)

• kandm
    14 years ago

Some good toppings for chili include; sharp cheddar, monterey or pepper jack, pumpkin seeds, salsa or diced tomatoes, diced scallions, avocado, diced onions yellow, purple or white, if you're not going to have beans in the chili a bowl on the side nice, corn chips whole or crushed up, fritos, oyster crackers, pickled jalopenos (Trappey's is my favorite national brand), cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream.

• aprile421
    14 years ago

I also live in New England and have hosted a few open houses. You might want to check with a party rental in your area. You can rent the soup mugs and spoons from there. They work out great because you can get as many as you think you will need and when your done you just stack them in the racks dirty and send them back. No washing and no having to figure out where to store them afterwards.

I have rented Plates, napkins, extra tables and many other things. Some places will deliver and pick up the items and some you have to pick up and drop off but the cost is usually not that bad.

Have you thought about doing a beef stew, beef barley soup and veggie soup to accomodate those who don't care for seafood or are vegetarians?

• cran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    More great ideas. Thank you Annie and shermann for the recipes. I am planning on the chili and all the toppings! Pumpkin seeds was a new one for me thanks Kandm. I think is chili is perfect for a cold night and the guests have been snacking there way up and down Main Street. The Italian beef sounds great and is definately a keeper. I have a large family and it will on the list for the next get together. Today I was outside decorating the shrubs with white lights and winding ribbon and greens around the columns on the porch. Wanted to get that done as the weather is sunny and not too windy. Thank you all for all the ideas and better yet the motovation!

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Can't add too much more to the list of toppings except chile flakes and black olives for those that like a real kick. Typically I have :

Chile flakes
    Cheddar cheese
    Sour cream
    Tortilla chips
    Black olives
    Diced tomatoes
    Cilantro
    Green Onions

Enjoy and be sure to report back!

PS: My husband always adds beer to his chile ! LOL

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh yes, I'll be looking forward to hearing how it all went. Pictures would be nice too, LOL, but I understand if you just don't have time!

Have a beautiful holiday.

Annie

• kandm
    14 years ago

I forgot to add homemade bacon bits to the list of toppings. Yum. Now I want chili!

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

Yeah, that chili is pretty darned good if I do say so myself :-) I have a recipe (read oooold recipe)Crab Bisque that is to die for. I'll post the recipe if you are interested.

• triciae
    14 years ago

cran,

I had another thought if you want something festive & different from the soups...

I make lobster crepes almost every year around the holidays. They're very easy, quick, & hold remarkably well in a chafing dish!

No recipe...here's what I do...

Toss in a skillet with 50/50 EVOO & butter a couple finely minced shallots & 1 or 2 cloves fresh garlic. Saute a couple minutes then add sliced 'shrooms of your choosing. Saute until the 'shrooms are tender. Add freshly picked lobster meat & continue sauteeing until the lobster is warm.

Add some heavy cream, a bit of lobster stock, and a hit of sherry. I season with salt/pepper, & fresh thyme. Cook until liquid reduces a bit. Finish with a couple pats of butter.

Fill crepes with a small amount of the above mixture & arrange the crepes in an oblong baking dish. Pour remaining sauce/lobster mixture over crepes & warm in the oven at 325 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Squeeze the juice of a lemon over the top of the crepes after you've taken them out of the oven.

Transfer to chaffing dish.

These are so delicious it's stupid! Lobster is so cheap now it's not unreasonable for a crowd since they're so rich nobody will eat more than one.

Thanks for the welcome back! I'll make a post on "Conversations" in the next few days. I'm out of bed about 20% of the time now; but typing still brings on vicious pain so I can't make this post & still give an update. :( BTW, I've been teaching DH to cook. He's become possessive of "his" kitchen! :)

cran, I'm sure your Open House will be wonderful.

Another idea that I started about 20 years ago...at 10:00 p.m., I hand out those short (4") white, chunky chandles in a handled holder. Then, appoint a guest to go around the room & light everybody's candle while I get organized at my piano. Then, we sing "Silent Night", "Oh Holy Night", "White Christmas", and whatever anybody else requests. We usually sing for 30 minutes, or so. It serves two purposes. First, everybody enjoys it & it seems to give a signal it's time to start gathering coats & finishing our toasts in preparationn to end the evening & I don't get stuck with guests still hanging on to their eggnog mug at 1:00 a.m.! hahaha You don't need a piano...people sing carols without music very well!

Have a fun filled & safe party!

/tricia

• cran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Riverrat for the offer of the recipe. Annie already posted it for me..can't wait to make it...everyone is raving about it!

Triciae thanks for all the wonderful ideas, it sounds as though you have a warm and loving home. The candle idea is great, but no piano here..no singing taent either! I am busy gathering greens to decorate the mantle...pineapple included.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Cran, be careful with that singing thing. If it were me and I started singing, people would go home promptly, and not because they were staying too late, because they just couldn't stand the noise!

My boss is classically trained at the Conservatory of Music and she told me that anyone can sing, it's just a matter of how well, LOL. I can tell you that I do it very badly....

Better to stick to the soup. (grin)

Annie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH